Moparts

change a white stripe F70-14 to red? what to use?

Posted By: 6bblgt

change a white stripe F70-14 to red? what to use? - 11/21/17 11:59 PM

wanting to put a F70-14 in the trunk of a '69 Road Runner

what has anyone used to change a white stripe to red? SHARPIE?
Posted By: topside

Re: change a white stripe F70-14 to red? what to use? - 11/22/17 01:47 AM

I don't think a sharpie would work, though it would be inexpensive to find out. I would think a flat red paint would work if it's just a spare. Chuck the wheel & tire on a front spindle, use a hand rest, and spin it while you stripe. Wipe any excess off with lacquer thinner.
Posted By: Neil

Re: change a white stripe F70-14 to red? what to use? - 11/22/17 06:02 AM

I think you'd get streaks using a marker.

Maybe some sort of red dye on a sponge while the wheel is being spun as suggested above? Likely to be pink at first so you may need to go over it a couple times to hit the right shade.
Posted By: A12

Re: change a white stripe F70-14 to red? what to use? - 11/22/17 08:20 AM

Originally Posted By 6bblgt
wanting to put a F70-14 in the trunk of a '69 Road Runner

what has anyone used to change a white stripe to red? SHARPIE?

Tried many until I found the red Marks-A-Lot brand permanent marker. Hard to get a good color comparison in the photos I took at the time but I had a few original red lines as I was comparing the Marks-A-Lot red marker to them (and other markers and even paint) In natural outside light it's, IMO, spot on and no streaks. I think I went around a total of three overlapping times across the width of the tire "line" or streak.

MikeR

(note: the valve stem is centered in the GOOD#YEAR, pretty an@l eh? blush)

Attached picture DSC06868rs.jpg
Attached picture DSC06738rs.jpg
Posted By: ScottSmith_Harms

Re: change a white stripe F70-14 to red? what to use? - 11/22/17 04:07 PM

Quote:
Tried many until I found the red Marks-A-Lot brand permanent marker. Hard to get a good color comparison in the photos I took at the time but I had a few original red lines as I was comparing the Marks-A-Lot red marker to them (and other markers and even paint) In natural outside light it's, IMO, spot on and no streaks. I think I went around a total of three overlapping times across the width of the tire "line" or streak.

MikeR

(note: the valve stem is centered in the GOOD#YEAR, pretty an@l eh? blush)

iagree

I did a customers 67 GTX white wall tires the same way, he was thrilled with the results, and since I had the pens on hand, especially happy with the cost of zero dollars smile
Posted By: rarefish

Re: change a white stripe F70-14 to red? what to use? - 11/22/17 06:11 PM

About 10 years ago I bought a red tire marker from Summit Racing with the idea of turning these F-70 Goodyear Speedways into a set of red line tires.
It turned out to be a waste of money. The markers were junk. I think they were made by Dupli-color.

Attached picture F 70.jpg
Posted By: cudaman1969

Re: change a white stripe F70-14 to red? what to use? - 11/22/17 07:49 PM

I need the white strip for my car, where did you purchase them? Thanks
Mike

Re: change a white stripe F70-14 to red? what to use? - 11/22/17 09:41 PM

Those white walls are vintage Speedway tires that were made around 1970. I found them on Craigslist around 2008. They were still nearly like new.
I mounted them on my original 14" Charger steel wheels and then installed the original wheel covers that the car was ordered with.
I like the look, but driving on them is a real experience. It's kind of like steering a roller skate.

Attached picture 100_0562.JPG
Posted By: cudaman1969

Re: change a white stripe F70-14 to red? what to use? - 11/23/17 01:11 AM

Originally Posted By rarefish
Those white walls are vintage Speedway tires that were made around 1970. I found them on Craigslist around 2008. They were still nearly like new.
I mounted them on my original 14" Charger steel wheels and then installed the original wheel covers that the car was ordered with.
I like the look, but driving on them is a real experience. It's kind of like steering a roller skate.

Thanks for the info, by the way, my favorite year Charger, very nice. I actually need E70 14 white lines, red was standard but they ordered the white. Should look good car being all black. Thanks again.

Re: change a white stripe F70-14 to red? what to use? - 11/23/17 03:22 AM

https://www.universaltire.com/e70-14-firestone-wide-oval-white-pin-stripe.html

Pricey, but nice...
Posted By: A12

Re: change a white stripe F70-14 to red? what to use? - 11/23/17 03:29 AM

Best bang for the buck for white to red:

Posted By: SmallHurst

Re: change a white stripe F70-14 to red? what to use? - 11/29/17 05:56 AM

https://www.rangerpaint.com/
Posted By: SmallHurst

Re: change a white stripe F70-14 to red? what to use? - 11/29/17 05:58 AM