Moparts

Reproduction trunk mats

Posted By: 4406bbl

Reproduction trunk mats - 09/09/17 08:51 PM

Who makes the best one, just got an auto custom carpet one and its thin vinyl, is that the best there is? Thanks
Posted By: ScottSmith_Harms

Re: Reproduction trunk mats - 09/09/17 09:02 PM

IMO they are all garbage. Someone needs to make a serious effort to reproduce them correctly (for all models). Most of the patterns and colors are off, and the die cuts look like they were created without an original on hand. Pathetic.
Posted By: 71birdJ68

Re: Reproduction trunk mats - 09/09/17 10:22 PM

What year, and kind of car?

Re: Reproduction trunk mats - 09/10/17 03:12 AM

1970 roadrunner, herringbone pattern

Re: Reproduction trunk mats - 09/10/17 05:05 AM

If that is the same material as e bodies, and 71 cars, nobody has the correct material. I have found that ACC has a material that is as close as we can, it is called Burtex, but you have to buy it in bulk, and cut your own.
Posted By: tommie

Re: Reproduction trunk mats - 09/16/17 04:11 PM

www.legendaryautointeriors.com

Re: Reproduction trunk mats - 09/16/17 06:26 PM

Same crap as everybody else has.

Re: Reproduction trunk mats - 09/17/17 03:25 AM

Digging thru my hoard, I have an old motor city originals mat, it is the wrong pattern but very close in material and fit. Guess I will use that. Thanks for your help.
Posted By: Maxwellwedge

Re: Reproduction trunk mats - 09/20/17 04:37 PM

Originally Posted By ScottSmith_Harms
IMO they are all garbage. Someone needs to make a serious effort to reproduce them correctly (for all models). Most of the patterns and colors are off, and the die cuts look like they were created without an original on hand. Pathetic.

What Scott said!

I keep hearing ECS is trying to get them right but not ready yet.
Posted By: Rhinodart

Re: Reproduction trunk mats - 09/20/17 07:22 PM

I have an NOS 69 Dart trunk mat but it was singed in my garage fire 4 years ago. frown I don't know if that material can even be made today as it has several "carcinogenic" chemicals in it. work
Posted By: Mastershake340

Re: Reproduction trunk mats - 09/20/17 08:17 PM

I remember a couple years ago ECS was working on coming up with trunk mats. Then Dave claimed he had the material all sourced and all the ducks lined up to get going, but didn't have enough pre-orders and canceled the project. No one I know had ever heard anything about pre-orders, and many like me were ready to order, so the excuse sounded sort of BS to me. Has he started talking again about doing these?
And I seem to recall Detroit Muscle Technologies was looking at coming out with trunk mats. Jim was asking for original samples to use for measurements even. He did say that coming up with the exact correct material wasn't going to be possible now (wasn't there a thread here on the subject that he posted in, last year?). What is the latest on that project I wonder.
In the meantime, does anyone have any experience with this company?
https://originalauto.com/products/trunk-mats/

Re: Reproduction trunk mats - 09/21/17 01:41 AM

I think they get their stuff from ACC.
Posted By: ScottSmith_Harms

Re: Reproduction trunk mats - 09/21/17 02:31 AM

Correct material varied and might be a reach to ask for absolute correctness there, but the current ones are so bad I'd settle for one with the correct color, pattern, and die cut.

Re: Reproduction trunk mats - 09/21/17 05:08 PM

Scott call ACC and get a sample of Bertex. It doesn't have the proper backing, but the rest is as close as I have seen, way better than what else is out there for the 70 and newer cars.
Posted By: LimeliteAero

Re: Reproduction trunk mats - 09/21/17 05:55 PM

Originally Posted By 4406bbl
Digging thru my hoard, I have an old motor city originals mat, it is the wrong pattern but very close in material and fit. Guess I will use that. Thanks for your help.

Those MCO mats are the same exact mats as the factory pieces. the same vendor was used. So ya, its pretty close! tonguue
Posted By: GMP440

Re: Reproduction trunk mats - 09/21/17 08:13 PM

Can someone that bought the bertex material from AC post a pic of it?

Re: Reproduction trunk mats - 09/21/17 10:22 PM

Just call them, they will send a small square for free.

Re: Reproduction trunk mats - 09/22/17 02:49 AM

Here is a page from an old Motor City Originals catalog that states
them selling trunk mats that that were produced on the correct rubber
material.

Attached picture MCO trunk mat.jpg

Re: Reproduction trunk mats - 09/22/17 03:35 AM

E bodies, and 71 up B bodies, and I think 70 B bodies didn't have rubber mats. It is a multi layer something.
Posted By: flypaper

Re: Reproduction trunk mats - 09/22/17 03:41 AM

i have original beat up ones from a 69 bee and a 71 ply
and they are different materials for sure..
Posted By: B5Cuda440-6

Re: Reproduction trunk mats - 09/22/17 07:26 PM

I agree with everyone here that the currently offered reproduction trunk mats are really bad...laughable actually. It’s too bad that one of the Chrysler/Mopar aftermarket specialty companies have not picked this up and developed an exact product.

Regarding the MCO mats...what years were these available for purchase? Was it sometime in the 1980's, or more recent? Also, what happened to MCO...I assume they just went out of business?

It would be interesting if someone could research details on the original company used to make the mats for MCO and try to determine if tooling still exists and/or the supplier of the original base rubber material can be identified.

Re: Reproduction trunk mats - 09/22/17 09:33 PM

Somebody told me that the 70 and up mats were made in India back then, don't know for sure. When you say rubber, which mat are you talking about?

Re: Reproduction trunk mats - 09/22/17 10:29 PM

By B5440 Cuda:
"Regarding the MCO mats...what years were these available for purchase?
Was it sometime in the 1980's, or more recent?"

The page from the MCO catalog that I posted was from their catalog
that I got around 90 or 91, so that's when those correct mats were
available. How many years later were those mats available? I don't know.
Maybe those that bought them can chime in on with that info.
Anyone on this message board who worked for MCO , maybe you can give
more info on the manufacturer of the mats.
© 2024 Moparts Forums