Moparts

e body steering column differences

Posted By: gregok

e body steering column differences - 05/22/17 01:08 AM

What differences are there between a 70 e body floor shift manual steering column and and a column from a year or two later? I know the 70 had reverse lockout and the later style key release is different. I also understand there is a difference in lenght between manual and power steering columns. Is there a reference guide for measurements?I have a later than 70 floor shift column and was wondering what steps would be necessary to convert it to a 70 column. I have no idea if the one I have is from a manual or power steering car. I see you can buy the 70 column collars for conversion from column shift to floor shift. Any advise would be appreciated.
Posted By: Cuda Cody

Re: e body steering column differences - 05/22/17 01:18 AM

This video I made about E-Body Steering columns gives you all the details about the differences. Hope it helps.

Click on "Steering Columns #1 Identification."

https://www.e-bodies.org/videos/

Re: e body steering column differences - 05/22/17 02:48 AM

Cody, this terrific information, thanks for doing these videos. So one question. I am restoring a rallye red 70 Cuda with rallye gauges so the steering column and dash frame should be or could be the body color? If I understood you right. Again thanks for the info and I will go look at my column.

Re: e body steering column differences - 05/22/17 05:21 AM

From what I've seen, the column color in 1970 depended on the type of cluster you had. A Rallye gauge car would get the same color as the interiors. It has nothing to do with the body color and only to do with the interior color.

Back in 1970 you could walk in to your Plymouth dealer and order a FE5 Red Cuda with black, white, black & white, tan, or red interior. If you ordered a Rallye Guage cluster you would then also get a colored matched steering column and dash. White, black, and black / white interiors would get a black column, tan gets tan column and red interiors would get a red column.

You can see all the interior color options here in the 1970 Plymouth Data book (last 2 pages):

http://www.e-bodies.org/Resources/Data_S...k_Barracuda.pdf
Posted By: Morty426

Re: e body steering column differences - 05/22/17 09:27 PM

The manual steering column is longer than the power steering but the shaft can be relocated to the correct length. Just make sure to install the plastic pins.

The 70 column has the tube and arm for the park/reverse lockout.

The 71+ column has a key release collar.

Re: e body steering column differences - 05/22/17 10:13 PM

Gotcha! Thank for the education.
Posted By: KISSAlien

Re: e body steering column differences - 05/23/17 09:06 PM

Originally Posted By Cuda Cody
From what I've seen, the column color in 1970 depended on the type of cluster you had. A Rallye gauge car would get the same color as the interiors. It has nothing to do with the body color and only to do with the interior color.

What are your thoughts regarding column color on Challengers with the standalone J64 option?

Re: e body steering column differences - 05/23/17 09:30 PM

Super easy to find out. Do you have a Build Sheet for your car or does anyone have a Broadcast Sheet for a 1970 J64 Challenger with colored interior? Run it through the decoder and it will tell you what color the column was:

https://www.e-bodies.org/decoders/

Posted By: KISSAlien

Re: e body steering column differences - 05/23/17 10:24 PM

I don't have a J64 car. I did a bunch of research on it but was only able to find one car that had J64 and an interior that wasn't black or white.
© 2024 Moparts Forums