Moparts

Missing Fender Tags options???

Posted By: NortheastMopar

Missing Fender Tags options??? - 01/04/17 01:43 AM

OK.
Posted By: Alaskan_TA

Re: Missing Fender Tags options??? - 01/04/17 01:48 AM

1970 LA Registry at http://www.hamtramck-historical.com/register.shtml

If the tag has been reported, I would let you know.

Your best hope would be that the prior owner finds the original tag & gets it to you.

Any car with a fake tag is worth less that a car with no tag though.

Re: Missing Fender Tags options??? - 01/04/17 02:35 AM

[quote

Re: Missing Fender Tags options??? - 01/04/17 02:48 AM

This is what I recommend when the tag has been lost & not reported for the people that just have to have something to fill the space on the inner fender.

No one can question intent or honesty with one like this & it could possibly lead to the original tag being reported;

Attached picture reward tag fender tag.JPG
Posted By: BigMoneyLewis

Re: Missing Fender Tags options??? - 01/04/17 03:08 AM

Offer the previous owner a thousand dollar reward for the tag ...if he can't find the tag, you have a car without a fender tag..which you knew going in to the deal.

Greg

Re: Missing Fender Tags options??? - 01/04/17 03:35 AM

Ya, only thing is I have no way to contact him.

Re: Missing Fender Tags options??? - 01/04/17 03:39 AM

a
Posted By: mopar346

Re: Missing Fender Tags options??? - 01/04/17 03:48 AM

I like Barry's idea might lead to the original showing up or a host of fakes. grin

Re: Missing Fender Tags options??? - 01/04/17 03:51 AM

I

Re: Missing Fender Tags options??? - 01/04/17 03:54 AM

Then e-mail him, e-mail is in his profile.
Posted By: flypaper

Re: Missing Fender Tags options??? - 01/04/17 04:00 AM

accept the car for what it is
a car missing its tag,
anything else comes off as appearing as fraud.

i happen to own a rare car missing its tag also
it is probably in some tag collectors shoe box
or nailed up on a garage wall..

it doesn't matter to me enough to try to
rewrite history and try to create something
from what i think it should be.
i'm just going to use a tag from another similar year car
a tag is just another part to me..
Posted By: davesmopars

Re: Missing Fender Tags options??? - 01/04/17 04:15 AM

I would not buy a investment car without a fender tag. Just for all this BS.
Posted By: 71GTX471

Re: Missing Fender Tags options??? - 01/04/17 04:39 PM

I'm so glade my car has the tag & broadcast sheet I knew nothing about this stuff when I bought it 35 years ago.
Posted By: 62maxwgn

Re: Missing Fender Tags options??? - 01/04/17 07:42 PM

Originally Posted By davesmopars

For the above mentioned car,if it had the original vin tag still attached and price right,I would take it in a heart beat,it is what its.The car in the foreground has no fender tag,would you pass on it? shruggy

Attached picture 4 and 6.jpg
Posted By: Erik

Re: Missing Fender Tags options??? - 01/04/17 09:57 PM

My old '70 Challenger R/T 440 Magnum 4 spd super trak pak FY1 car didn't have a fender tag or build sheet either. When I put it up for sale, it went pretty quickly. All #s matched, just missing tag and sheet. Some people still want them even without all the documentation. Wish I kept that one.

Re: Missing Fender Tags options??? - 01/04/17 10:47 PM

Thanks
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: Missing Fender Tags options??? - 01/04/17 11:24 PM

Originally Posted By NortheastMopar
How many options can you find in these pictures? I guess they must have just been added, right??
Actually, my intent was to just try and not lose the remaining historical value of the car. What we have here is one of about 742 U code Challengers ever made. The photos in my view speak for themselves. You can clearly see the A/C, cruise control, 5 speaker switch, leather interior to name just a few. These items all appear very original to me? So why would you doubt my intent after looking at these photos?

The only way to maintain the HISTORICAL VALUE of a car missing both the original fendertag and original broadcast sheet is to LEAVE IT AS FOUND ...

Once you restore how do you PROVE it is what it is without those docs and tags ???

You have seen the car in person, we haven't. I can't see the leather interior in either of those pictures you posted, only the cruise control and a blurry AC control panel and a round knob that might be for rear speaker fader, that MIGHT be an interior picture, of that purple car, in a garage ... that may be the garage of your home ???

Re: Missing Fender Tags options??? - 01/04/17 11:29 PM

Originally Posted By Erik
My old '70 Challenger R/T 440 Magnum 4 spd super trak pak FY1 car didn't have a fender tag or build sheet either. When I put it up for sale, it went pretty quickly. All #s matched, just missing tag and sheet. Some people still want them even without all the documentation. Wish I kept that one.

Was the car restored or sold in original condition ?? Either way it must have been priced right ???

New owner will do what you didn't do and Northeast Mopar wants to do, have a tag made ...

Re: Missing Fender Tags options??? - 01/04/17 11:35 PM

Originally Posted By 62maxwgn
Originally Posted By davesmopars

For the above mentioned car,if it had the original vin tag still attached and price right,I would take it in a heart beat,it is what its.The car in the foreground has no fender tag,would you pass on it? shruggy

depends on the price wink

Re: Missing Fender Tags options??? - 01/05/17 01:32 AM

Onc

[/quote]

Re: Missing Fender Tags options??? - 01/05/17 02:01 AM

Here

Re: Missing Fender Tags options??? - 01/05/17 02:10 AM

a

Re: Missing Fender Tags options??? - 01/05/17 02:18 AM

Oh,

Re: Missing Fender Tags options??? - 01/05/17 02:23 AM

S
Posted By: DAYCLONA

Re: Missing Fender Tags options??? - 01/05/17 02:25 AM

I don't even care if it has the fender tag.

In that case "restore" the car the way you want it optioned, or believe it to be optioned

Re: Missing Fender Tags options??? - 01/05/17 02:30 AM

o

Re: Missing Fender Tags options??? - 01/05/17 02:34 AM

p

Re: Missing Fender Tags options??? - 01/05/17 02:37 AM

Quote:
I would think that the photos are actually better proof than a fender tag anyway...

OK, I think you just answered your own question.

Why taint the cars history with a made up tag?

The car is what it is.

If a made up tag suddenly appears, then the car becomes less than it was before.

Re: Missing Fender Tags options??? - 01/05/17 02:40 AM

Originally Posted By JohnRR
Originally Posted By Erik

Was the car restored or sold in original condition ?? Either way it must have been priced right ???

New owner will do what you didn't do and Northeast Mopar wants to do, have a tag made ...

Unrestored. And yes, I sold it WAY too cheap.

Re: Missing Fender Tags options??? - 01/05/17 02:41 AM

[quote=

Re: Missing Fender Tags options??? - 01/05/17 02:46 AM

You are welcome to check if you want to and if I know of the original tag I will gladly tell you.

As far as calling goes I do not use a phone, so the options are email or snail mail only.

Re: Missing Fender Tags options??? - 01/05/17 02:49 AM

L

Re: Missing Fender Tags options??? - 01/05/17 02:54 AM

H

Re: Missing Fender Tags options??? - 01/05/17 03:11 AM

Go with what Dayclona said, build it and keep your pictures for back up. In the end people may/will believe it's real but people pony up big money for cars with tags and/or sheets with less options and original metal. It a fine car enjoy it for what it is.

For the record, I could have saved all these pictures and now have proof of the way any purple Challenger was optioned. Just saying.........

Re: Missing Fender Tags options??? - 01/05/17 03:27 AM

[quote=mopar346]Go

Re: Missing Fender Tags options??? - 01/05/17 03:38 AM

Pictures are your best documentation no need to make a tag, making a tag takes it in a different direction. Lot of people will use the "only about money" line but the fact is anyone with any financial intelligence will work to protect their money, with exception to the few lucky souls that have enough they can be carefree.
Posted By: BigMoneyLewis

Re: Missing Fender Tags options??? - 01/05/17 09:02 AM

I don't think anyone here is suggesting that you are dishonest . All the options look as if they have been there from day one . However, we don't know for sure on some of them, and neither do you.. Obviously the leather interior, overhead console, and small back glass and SE emblems, with carpet and reflector at bottom of door panel are all part of the SE package , and being the VIN is there and clearly states JS29U0..and since you told us the cowl and rad support numbers are still on the car, we know the car is an SE by the 29 , so we know those items are correct . But what we do not know is weather someone added the cruise control in 1975 , we don't know if the car was an AM 8track or An AM FM (we can eliminate AM of course), we can't say for sure that it is a power window car or if someone swapped the door panels and added power windows in 1979 from a wrecked 318 challenger they found in the local salvage yard. Chances are 99% all that stuff is factory correct to this car , but with no tag or sheet or window sticker, who can say for certain. You best bet is to do what you have already done, which is to photo document the car in it's unrestored state
and is really all you can do . A repro tag would just contain some guesswork and incorrect numbers such as VON , so just hang up the idea of a repro tag . You knew when you bought it there was no tag , and you know that is about a 25 % hit on the value of the car , give or take, and you know an FC7 R/T SE U code Challenger is an "investment car" . You may not be planning on making a profit, but I would bet you also are not planning on being buried in this car either , so , the rarity and value of the car is certainly a factor . One would hope you negotiated the purchase well and took the missing tag in as a major factor when calculating your purchase price of this car . I would personally photo every inch of the car , then restore the car as you see in the pics . That's really the best you can do. You will have a beautiful car when it is done . Any U code R/T SE is a rare and desirable car . It's a car any true Mopar fan would be proud to own, tag or no tag.

Greg

Re: Missing Fender Tags options??? - 01/05/17 04:13 PM

[quote=BigMoneyLewis

Re: Missing Fender Tags options??? - 01/05/17 04:21 PM

It's obvious it's all about the money here
Enjoy your fake tag..lol

Re: Missing Fender Tags options??? - 01/05/17 04:39 PM

[quote=flypaper

Re: Missing Fender Tags options??? - 01/05/17 04:48 PM

Then what is the purpose of the tag and why the need to hide the VIN "to protect yourself".

I don't have a great respect for check writers or polishers myself but they have brought a lot to the hobby some bad but a lot good. Some people simply aren't mechanically inclined, should they be barred from the hobby? Some have limited time to enjoy the hobby and their kick comes from cleaning the glass and talking about their car with others, do they not belong in the hobby? One of the biggest of which is that all the repop stuff (good and bad) would not be available if it was just people like me in the hobby, it takes the big money guys to make it worth someone's investment to reproduce a part. I'll spend years finding a piece and days restoring it to save a dollar, many want or cant. I can also put up with less than perfect, many cant. I drive my cars 1000s of miles each year, all of them and give little thought to the value of them or the risk I am taking but I am very aware of protecting my money so they are insured accordingly. So far I have not made a bad financial toy car decision but I do proceed with caution sometimes to my own handicapping. It's not always about money, documented cars are worth more and as of yet MOST fake tags can be identified as such, except of course the ones we cant tell and no one was honest about he tags origin. If you at least report the VIN to the registries then the next guy is protected if he does his due diligence regardless how many times the car change hands. twocents

Re: Missing Fender Tags options??? - 01/05/17 04:54 PM

Calling me out now..lol
You have lots to learn grasshopper
People can spot a fake tags pretty easy
If you know what to look for
and anything you create will be easy to spot
With your obvious lack of knowledge on the subject and rantings about it.
you can argue all you like
But it's about the money to you
Your talk of value gives you away...
why can't you just say your concerned about value
Because you dumped a boatload of loot into a resto?
I would believe you a lot more then
Some historical bullion. .

Re: Missing Fender Tags options??? - 01/05/17 04:54 PM

I like to call them spectators with deep pockets.

Re: Missing Fender Tags options??? - 01/05/17 04:59 PM

why don't you post a lesson on how to spot a fake tag. I would love to learn from you. By the way, the last grasshopper I flew on was in the Marine Corps in Vietnam in 1968. So I have no clue what you mean by that.

Re: Missing Fender Tags options??? - 01/05/17 05:02 PM

I like to call them spectators with deep pockets.

No spectators have little to no effort OR money in the game. Again, I do see them differently than a guy who has blood sweat and tears in their cars but I know they have a place in the hobby.

Re: Missing Fender Tags options??? - 01/05/17 05:09 PM

A vet?
Cool
thank you for your service.
I don't know what it adds to the discussion?
I'm far from a expert
but I would bet your fake tag would be soon
Exposed after you screwed it down..
so you know
People do not give lessons on
Spotting fakes
It helps the crooks..

Re: Missing Fender Tags options??? - 01/05/17 05:56 PM

Originally Posted By JohnRR
How many options can you find in these pictures? I guess they must have just been added, right??
Actually, my intent was to just try and not lose the remaining historical value of the car. What we have here is one of about 742 U code Challengers ever made. The photos in my view speak for themselves. You can clearly see the A/C, cruise control, 5 speaker switch, leather interior to name just a few. These items all appear very original to me? So why would you doubt my intent after looking at these photos?

The only way to maintain the HISTORICAL VALUE of a car missing both the original fendertag and original broadcast sheet is to LEAVE IT AS FOUND ...

Once you restore how do you PROVE it is what it is without those docs and tags ???

You have seen the car in person, we haven't. I can't see the leather interior in either of those pictures you posted, only the cruise control and a blurry AC control panel and a round knob that might be for rear speaker fader, that MIGHT be an interior picture, of that purple car, in a garage ... that may be the garage of your home ???

I can assure you I did in fact photograph every inch of this car. I just used those two pictures to make my point as to how do you tell it was original. I think the pictures would speak for themselves, especially if there are hundreds of them. Don't you think that will help?

You stated there were clearly options that could not be seen in the 2 pictures you posted. I can see there are more options ... and pictures ... now , take all the pictures you want to document what you feel needs to be documented and even make a tag if that makes you think it will be more a complete car.

The car was only original once, once it's restored it is what it is ...

Good luck in your venture.
Posted By: Mastershake340

Re: Missing Fender Tags options??? - 01/05/17 06:00 PM

My observation from over the years is that whatever you do with a restoration, someone is going to gripe about something on it.
You'll never win if you think you'll get everyone together on a consensus agreeing with what you do so don't waste your time worrying about it.
You do what makes you happy and if anyone doesn't like it, tell them to pound sand. twocents
I would be the first to agree that a inner fender looks wrong with a missing tag, but any "repro" tag is always going to be spotted by some experts too. So there is no perfect one size fits all answer.
The tag on my T/A was rusty by one of the holes, one code was indecipherable but it was apparent what it should be. I had tags backeast make a repro, and the original is stashed with my car's documentation. Some would say I should have put the tired tag back on the restored car, but then I wouldn't like the way it looked. If someone doesn't like it, tough, do what you think right on your restoration as I did on mine.
Trying to satisfy everyone is like herding cats, you say you are restoring your car for your own satisfaction, so do what you want with it that makes you happy. But without the original tag, or a picture or rubbing of it, you will never be able to duplicate everything that the tag should have on it either, so don't think anything you do if you do have a tag made, will be considered accurate. To that end and maybe expanding on JohnRRs point, you could put 0's on your made up tag in areas you don't know what was on the original, like for the SPD and VON, which would be a signal you weren't trying to make the tag into something someone could incorrectly think is "real". Rather, you were making a tag replicating just what you are fairly confident was on the original missing tag.

Re: Missing Fender Tags options??? - 01/05/17 06:05 PM

He

Re: Missing Fender Tags options??? - 01/05/17 06:10 PM

a
Posted By: QuickBpBp

Re: Missing Fender Tags options??? - 01/05/17 06:30 PM

My Opinion is just take all the pictures to document what you have and what was there and rebuild it in as found condition. Only putting back and restoring what's there. It is a valuable car just because of it's heritage. No one can change the fact that it is an FC7 R/T SE U code 70 Challenger and just leave it as that.
On another note...
IMO also is that you found the way the internet works too...These threads always get crazy especially in winter. Now that you have "outed" the car that it does not have a tag or a broadcast sheet it will take a huge hit because by the end of this thread it will have been a /6 a/c 71 Challenger that has now been re-bodied and now highly optioned 70. I would keep the Vin number myself to prevent further tainting of the car and leave the fender tag missing...
Posted By: 62maxwgn

Re: Missing Fender Tags options??? - 01/05/17 07:16 PM

Here is another one to mull over,JH23R 4spd,no fender tag !

Attached picture Picture 860.jpg
Attached picture Picture 861.jpg

Re: Missing Fender Tags options??? - 01/05/17 07:19 PM

JH or JS?

Re: Missing Fender Tags options??? - 01/06/17 02:47 AM

Would you mind posting pictures of the inner fender wells to see what else can be told about the car.
Posted By: Pacnorthcuda

Re: Missing Fender Tags options??? - 01/06/17 02:49 AM

Does the VIN tag really read JH23R.....???

Would love to see a pic of that!

Re: Missing Fender Tags options??? - 01/06/17 02:53 AM

No, not here. But I will show you a picture of my 416 stroker motor I an putting in my Demon. I has about 550HP. It needs no fender tage but it does have them... It was an original 340 72 Demon and I even have the build sheet and fender tags.. It is an A/C car also. But I chose to do this motor for it instead. NMot too shabby for a person looking to scam people right. Oh, maybe I just stole this photo off the web.

Attached picture 416 STROKER BUILD_0004small.jpg
Posted By: Q5_Ed

Re: Missing Fender Tags options??? - 01/06/17 03:15 AM

Bill I would take that one along with your wing car to the crusher, you will be doing the comunity a great service!🤔😳😉

Re: Missing Fender Tags options??? - 01/06/17 03:29 AM

No, not here. But I will show you a picture of my 416 stroker motor I an putting in my Demon. I has about 550HP. It needs no fender tage but it does have them... It was an original 340 72 Demon and I even have the build sheet and fender tags.. It is an A/C car also. But I chose to do this motor for it instead. NMot too shabby for a person looking to scam people right. Oh, maybe I just stole this photo off the web.

Different game, huge difference in value between a 70 U code RTSE and a 72 Demon. A 72 mod can exceed the price of an EO restoration and not sure what a built engine has to do with the discussion, but it is nice enough.
Posted By: ThermoQuad

Re: Missing Fender Tags options??? - 01/06/17 01:29 PM

Bill is this car really a JH23ROB or did you fat finger the keyboard? If it is this would make 2 JH23ROB's. I can already hear the TYPO police shouting......typo typo typo ........are you sure???

A fender tag is only a fake when used to commit fraud. A reproduction fender tag is just that a reproduction. I work with technology that can scan a FT and from the data it is way too easy to spot the differences between oem and repro. As the crooks get better the technology will help. Maybe i should open an FT authentication service drive

Regardless if some one wants help recreating a fender tag it's not rocket science and you don't need moparts to do it.
Posted By: cogen80

Re: Missing Fender Tags options??? - 01/06/17 02:13 PM

looking at all the deleting the OP did i'm thinking that this thread did not go as he intended...lol

Re: Missing Fender Tags options??? - 01/06/17 02:35 PM

Some of the earlier post were a little more telling about intent I think. There was one statement about "options I know it had and ones I think it had" or maybe might have had but it indicated some gray area. I think his desire to document is correct and needed just not sure the need for a tag that looks close to legit, but of course all mine have tags so what do I know.

Re: Missing Fender Tags options??? - 01/06/17 04:36 PM

Originally Posted By flypaper
Calling me out now..lol
You have lots to learn grasshopper
People can spot a fake tags pretty easy
If you know what to look for
and anything you create will be easy to spot
With your obvious lack of knowledge on the subject and rantings about it.
you can argue all you like
But it's about the money to you
Your talk of value gives you away...
why can't you just say your concerned about value
Because you dumped a boatload of loot into a resto?
I would believe you a lot more then
Some historical bullion. .
This is the reason I deleted my post. First off, I am not a grasshopper. I don't let my grown children speak to me like this so why should I let some stranger do it without responding. Second, I don't like the way this fool continues to use the phrase FAKE tag. I always stated my question was based on the fact that Datatags told me they could make me a tag and because L.A. cars seem to have no build sheets I was trying to historically capture as much of the cars history as possible. I don't like him saying it is all about the money for me, as if to say I would create a FAKE tag to screw somebody. My talk of value is no different than anybody else that chimed in here except for him. As long as he can guess what my thinking is, I will have to guess and say he is jealous and I have not seen him post anywhere anything about his cars. Lots of posts on PARTS but no cars. Finally, the FACT is my Son who I spent many hours with restoring other cars when he was a young BOY, came to me when he was in High School with a craigslist ad for this car way back in 1993. We together went down and looked at and bought this car for a whopping $1500.00 CASH. My son then went on to college and is now a Mechanical Engineer and he is just now getting back to this car which is sitting in his garage. He asked me to see if I could chase the guy down we bought the car from. That person was in the military and when they close the base up here, he had to sell the car as it was all apart. So trying to find him was a no go for me. I called the DMV in the state the car came from and they said they have no knowledge in their database for this car because it was last registered in 1989. Fortunately, right after my son bought the car, we did do our due diligence and had the car titled in his name, which makes him the free and clear owner anyway. So now we are getting back to it and he said to me, gee dad it is too bad we didn't press that guy on the fender tags which he told us he had but could not find. Then he mentioned how we photographed the car in its present state and maybe we could make a REPRODUCTION tag to capture the historical value of this car. He even mentioned that some of the options may be unknown and how can we handle that. That is why I posted what I did. Now not only did this fellow MOPARTS enthusiast insult me, but he also insulted my Son who I asked the question for. So, if I can say, this site is suppose to be a place where folks can come to exchange ideas and help one another with things that they may not totally understand. It is not suppose to be where you make a smart remark like "you have a lot to learn grasshopper". I guess if somebody says that to me, then I (I would think) should be able to call them out and call them a PUNK, with no objections from anyone here. Because if you agree with his words, then how can you disagree with mine. Furthermore, we build these cars ourselves as a hobby. We do the body, paint, electrical, mechamical and every other aspect of them. It usually takes us about 5 years to do one. And as stated before, we do not spend a lot of money because our labor is free. And Yes, my Son does make six figures as a mechanical engineer, so to say we are making a (FAKE) tag to gain monetary value is a direct insult here. I am a woodworker and take tens of thousands of dollars from people to work for them. I too, do not need to make a FAKE tag to try and screw someone. Personally, as long as he can judge me and my Son and what we are thinking, then I think the only person who would actually do something like this is the SAME person who is making it sound like he is a SAINT and it is ME causing the problem. And for anyone who doubts a MARINE crying because of name calling, I say to you, read the posts closely and see that this goes beyond name calling to actually accusing me of making FAKE tags when I asked about Reproductions. So YES, as a MARINE I will always defend my INTEGRITY as a human being and go on the attack when what appears to be a childish idiot wants to do WHAT??? Make himself feel good. Sorry for the rant, but folks should open their eyes and see things for what they are. This kind of stuff does not belong on this site.

Posted By: 70Cuda383

Re: Missing Fender Tags options??? - 01/06/17 04:38 PM

I'm locking this since the original poster went through and edited all his posts rolleyes
© 2024 Moparts Forums