Moparts

Factory VIN tag errors, how common?

Posted By: Cab_Burge

Factory VIN tag errors, how common? - 12/30/16 08:02 AM

I have a 1969 dart GTS that has the original factory dash vin tag with a noticeable stamping error, how common is this? confused help
Thanks in advance for your comments thumbs
Posted By: Cuda Cody

Re: Factory VIN tag errors, how common? - 12/30/16 09:16 AM

It happens. Uncommon if think about the hundred of thousands of cars some of these factories assembled, but it happened. If you just look for factory errors, you can find a lot. I've seen them on engines, Trans, dash VIN's and Body numbers. I thought Barry was keeping track of some of them and had some examples on his website?
Posted By: Alaskan_TA

Re: Factory VIN tag errors, how common? - 12/30/16 11:20 AM

Other examples at Factory VIN & Code Errors
Posted By: fastmark

Re: Factory VIN tag errors, how common? - 12/30/16 02:23 PM

I've got one. My bird is stamped RN instead of RM. Title and fender tag are correct. N was used for New York taxis!
Posted By: cdp

Re: Factory VIN tag errors, how common? - 12/30/16 05:14 PM

my a12 has an extra space in the VIN that normally wouldn't be there. I bought from the original owner with original title. Another mistake on this car... the RR sticker on the dash was in line with the center of the glove box button...rather than to the right of dash emblem. Kwality Kuntrol!
Posted By: Rhinodart

Re: Factory VIN tag errors, how common? - 12/30/16 05:53 PM

Saw a 71 V-Code B-Body missing the V in the dash VIN plate, only 12 digits on it but was on the fender tag correctly.
Posted By: mopars_1

Re: Factory VIN tag errors, how common? - 12/31/16 11:56 AM

I saw an 'original' 70 hemi roadrunner with an n for engine code in the vin, and fender tag smile
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Factory VIN tag errors, how common? - 01/01/17 08:04 AM

The reason I brought this subject up is my 1969 Dart GTS H code car has the 2 and the 3 directly over stamped onto each other on the dash body tag shock confused No where else, the fender tag, radiator core support and every else shows the proper numbers stamp along with the title show the numbers in their proper sequence.
The car was sold new at Saddleback Dodge in late(October or early November) 1968 and now has a CA DMV riveted tag on the left front door post with the proper numbers and letters matching all the other numbers as well as the title. I guess I have a truly one of one work boogie grin
It is for sale, I need the garage floor space and money to complete two other project cars I am building realcrazy
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: Factory VIN tag errors, how common? - 01/05/17 12:03 AM

Originally Posted By mopars_1
I saw an 'original' 70 hemi roadrunner with an n for engine code in the vin, and fender tag smile

haha
Posted By: fc7_plumcrazy

Re: Factory VIN tag errors, how common? - 01/29/17 04:03 AM

Originally Posted By mopars_1

haha haha
Posted By: ScottSmith_Harms

Re: Factory VIN tag errors, how common? - 01/29/17 04:25 AM

Quote:

I saw an original 70 383 Roadrunner with an R for the engine code....Yes, really!
Posted By: mccannix

Re: Factory VIN tag errors, how common? - 01/29/17 06:32 AM

Speaking of 70 383 Road Runners, 15 years ago or more I looked at one that was a real 383 Runner.
Fender tag indicated so and matched the VIN....well almost...
VIN had only 12 digits, was missing the N
Posted By: Big D A12

Re: Factory VIN tag errors, how common? - 01/29/17 02:45 PM

The biggest thing we need to remember is the process of building cars involved human interaction. Hence errors were made, common, no, but definitely out there. I guess it depends on your definition of common.

Lynch Road fender tags contain many documented errors that went on for a short time until someone caught them. My favorite is the 1969 458XXX VIN cars built in 9/68.

D
Posted By: B5 Bee

Re: Factory VIN tag errors, how common? - 01/30/17 09:15 AM

Originally Posted By mccannix
Speaking of 70 383 Road Runners, 15 years ago or more I looked at one that was a real 383 Runner.
Fender tag indicated so and matched the VIN....well almost...
VIN had only 12 digits, was missing the N

I saw the same thing on a '70 Coronet RT.
Dash VIN was missing the U but showed on the FT and door decal.
It's no longer around. The gas tank rusted out and the owner used a 6 gal marine gas tank in the trunk with a rubber hose held in with a rag (fuse). He left a bar one night, started the car, turned on the lights, up it went. Scratch one WS23, D21, EK2, V8X.
Posted By: TiMopar

Re: Factory VIN tag errors, how common? - 01/30/17 07:35 PM

I have a Lynch Rd built 70 GTX which is missing the engine code 'U' in the dash VIN, but is present on the fender tag and door decal ( no track sheet present ).
© 2024 Moparts Forums