Moparts

Paint for 71 Charger louvered tri-color tail light bezels

Posted By: charger440sixpak

Paint for 71 Charger louvered tri-color tail light bezels - 11/29/16 10:10 PM

Getting ready to repaint a set of 71 Charger R/T tail light bezels and started searching for the Krylon 2521 discussed here: Moparts thread

Having no luck, I contacted Krylon and the K02521 color is no longer in production and they showed no stock anywhere in the US. So what's the next best choice? Herb's dark argent #2032? Or has someone found something that's a good match?

Posted By: NANKET

Re: Paint for 71 Charger louvered tri-color tail light bezels - 11/29/16 11:00 PM

Are those textured argent or just a silver matte finish. I have some to paint.
Posted By: CDN72SE

Re: Paint for 71 Charger louvered tri-color tail light bezels - 11/29/16 11:45 PM

Here's what I did.

Rear Taillights

Decided to take a look at these this past weekend, I have one NOS black and one a nice argent taillight. The plan is to re-finish them both with the tri-colour effect, black, grey (or darker argent) and argent. I am not too concerned with them looking OEM exact. I've got so many different cans of silver, argent, aluminum, grey it's getting nuts so whatever I have on my shelf that is the closest I think I will use.

Here's the black bezel.

and the argent:

Started masking:

Got it painted:

Ready to spray some argent I had kicking around for the outer part of the bezel:

Thought I'd share my mistake, I painted these two bezels two weeks apart and somewhere along the line I mixed up the finishing paint, one I used Eastwood's Spray Gray and the other is Detail Gray. I think the top is Detail Gray, when I have made the correction I'll straighten it out. :brickwall: Well at least I have two different samples.

Installed:

Re: Paint for 71 Charger louvered tri-color tail light bezels - 11/30/16 12:59 AM

Originally Posted By NANKET
Are those textured argent or just a silver matte finish. I have some to paint.

The Krylon 2521 was labeled as a 'texture' paint but I'm not sure how much texture was on the factory original tri-color bezels.
Posted By: Dingmaster

Re: Paint for 71 Charger louvered tri-color tail light bezels - 12/01/16 05:39 AM

I used rustoleum stainless steel. Its a nice satin finish.

Re: Paint for 71 Charger louvered tri-color tail light bezels - 12/01/16 03:31 PM

CDN72SE, It looks like the darker (Detail Gray?) is a better match. Did you end up using this on both your bezels?

Originally Posted By Dingmaster
I used rustoleum stainless steel. Its a nice satin finish.

Thanks! I have some Eastwood dark argent wheel paint on order to see how close it matches.

I found a good photo from a feeBay auction for what was described as an NOS bezel -

It doesn't appear there was much 'texture' in either the light or dark argent.
Posted By: Little Detroit

Re: Paint for 71 Charger louvered tri-color tail light bezels - 12/30/16 11:16 PM

help looking for info on T/A's Built march -april of 1970? does anybody know if there was a strike or work stoppage during that time period or a mechanical breakdown on assembly line? what dates were blocks cast? I have found several cars built within days of each other and vin's within a 1000 or less of each other all with the same issues. any help will be appreciated. thanks mike.
© 2024 Moparts Forums