Moparts

Who can stripe and re-plate a horn button base?

Posted By: charger440sixpak

Who can stripe and re-plate a horn button base? - 10/30/16 09:59 PM

Looking for someone who can strip and re-plate the base for a Tuff wheel horn button. I'm not sure is this is aluminum vapor deposition, the coating is a lot thicker than other other parts with silver Al-deposition I've seen. The base itself appears to be plastic.

Posted By: DAYCLONA

Re: Who can stripe and re-plate a horn button base? - 10/31/16 03:53 AM

You might want to give Mike Ross a call at BEAParts to see whom he had do his repro horn caps (or if he has any left?), IIRC it was Jerome B.
Posted By: HEMICUDA

Re: Who can stripe and re-plate a horn button base? - 10/31/16 09:44 AM

The cap is plastic with hard chrome, it is not vacuum metalized.

Re: Who can stripe and re-plate a horn button base? - 10/31/16 11:15 AM

Originally Posted By HEMICUDA
The cap is plastic with hard chrome, it is not vacuum metalized.

If it's "hard chrome" on plastic, the only/current source I know that can COPPER/NICKLE/CHROMIUM PLATE plastic is Advanced Chrome in Nashville Tenn, for the OP they can quote/plate the part thru the mail if you send it to them
Posted By: PurpleBeeper

Re: Who can stripe and re-plate a horn button base? - 10/31/16 06:32 PM

yeah, for sure it's not vacuum metalized.... that wasn't invented yet
Posted By: Grizzly

Re: Who can stripe and re-plate a horn button base? - 10/31/16 06:40 PM

Side question:

Anyone had any luck duplicating the finish themselves?

Re: Who can stripe and re-plate a horn button base? - 11/01/16 08:51 AM

David Tays (plumbeeper) does a really nice job duplicating the look of dull chrome with paint. Your bigger problem is electrically stripping the original chrome off the cap.

Re: Who can stripe and re-plate a horn button base? - 11/01/16 05:48 PM

Originally Posted By DAYCLONA

If it's "hard chrome" on plastic, the only/current source I know that can COPPER/NICKLE/CHROMIUM PLATE plastic is Advanced Chrome in Nashville Tenn, for the OP they can quote/plate the part thru the mail if you send it to them

I located Advanced Plating at 1425 Cowan Ct, Nashville, TN 37207. Is this the company to which you refer?

Re: Who can stripe and re-plate a horn button base? - 11/01/16 06:12 PM

Originally Posted By PurpleBeeper

Aren't the gauge surrounds in the Rallye cluster Al vacuum/vapor deposition?

Re: Who can stripe and re-plate a horn button base? - 11/01/16 06:27 PM

Originally Posted By charger440sixpak

I located Advanced Plating at 1425 Cowan Ct, Nashville, TN 37207. Is this the company to which you refer?

Yes, family run business, custom shop, not a production plater, Steve is the owner/proprietor, top shelf work

Re: Who can stripe and re-plate a horn button base? - 11/01/16 06:30 PM

Originally Posted By PurpleBeeper

Aren't the gauge surrounds in the Rallye cluster Al vacuum/vapor deposition?

The "chroming" process used in that application was known as hot plating, where the aluminum was transferred to just the raised surfaces via a die plate, much like an ink stamp

Re: Who can stripe and re-plate a horn button base? - 11/01/16 08:33 PM

The "chroming" process used in that application was known as hot plating, where the aluminum was transferred to just the raised surfaces via a die plate, much like an ink stamp

BAM! Got the 'learn something new every day' off my list for today! Thanks!

I did talk to Advanced Plating (not sure if it was Steve) but he said they don't do plastic parts anymore because they weren't happy with the results in most cases. He pointed me to www.muellercorp.com and Glenn Mueller emailed me back and recommended I contact Mike Mancini at Instrument Specialties, Inc. I guess Mike batches parts for Glenn so I'm waiting to hear back from Mike. I know Instrument Specialties from other discussions here and, if I'm not mistaken, they have a good rep.
Posted By: THESHAKERPROJECT

Re: Who can stripe and re-plate a horn button base? - 11/01/16 10:27 PM

Well I actually sanded mine smooth and primed and repainted it. I used a silver metal paint and it looked show ready . Someone was making new alum bases at one time but I have not seen them in person. You may also want to check with GCar if you want to replate yours .

Re: Who can stripe and re-plate a horn button base? - 11/01/16 11:19 PM

Originally Posted By charger440sixpack

He pointed me to www.muellercorp.com and Glenn Mueller emailed me back and recommended I contact Mike Mancini at Instrument Specialties, Inc. I guess Mike batches parts for Glenn so I'm waiting to hear back from Mike. I know Instrument Specialties from other discussions here and, if I'm not mistaken, they have a good rep.

Sad to here Advance no longer does plastic, however Mike Mancini at Instrument Specialties is a top shelf service, I've been to his shop, seen first hand that Mike and his people turn out nothing but quality work

Re: Who can stripe and re-plate a horn button base? - 11/01/16 11:48 PM

Originally Posted By THESHAKERPROJECT
Well I actually sanded mine smooth and primed and repainted it. I used a silver metal paint and it looked show ready . Someone was making new alum bases at one time but I have not seen them in person. You may also want to check with GCar if you want to replate yours .

I'm looking at the Valspar silver brushed nickel 66005 spray can... might be my only option. Do you recall what you used?

Re: Who can stripe and re-plate a horn button base? - 11/01/16 11:54 PM

Sad to here Advance no longer does plastic, however Mike Mancini at Instrument Specialties is a top shelf service, I've been to his shop, seen first hand that Mike and his people turn out nothing but quality work

Here's what Thomas @ Instrument Specialties had to say:
"Ok we have done these before but here is the trick., That finish on there is a satin brushed look. We cannot replicate that. We can either paint it with a metallic and it will look bright silver, or we can chrome it and it will look shiny like chrome. The satin finish in not something we can replicate."

I don't think the shiny chrome will look right so a repaint may be the only option. Does anyone know how these were done originally?
Posted By: 68KillerBee

Re: Who can stripe and re-plate a horn button base? - 11/02/16 08:33 AM

I was gonna say there is a guy that lives somewhere in st Charles Missouri that does plastic plating. But it sounds like that is not how these should look. I thought he posted on here but maybe it's dodgecharger or forbbodiesonly. MoparSteve something, been trying to think of it since yesterday.

Re: Who can stripe and re-plate a horn button base? - 11/02/16 11:01 AM

You can duplicate the dull chrome look (dirty nickel) by using a very fine glass bead on the nickel plating before the clear chrome top coat is electrically applied. That was a trick I conveyed to Jules several years ago before he passed.

Re: Who can stripe and re-plate a horn button base? - 11/03/16 12:30 AM

I think the color I used was a brushed nickel (KRYLON )and I used a finer grit to sand first and a light coat of fill primer to feather the chipped / lifted spots . You may have to sand and prime a few times before the final color . I was very happy with the results and I am very picky . Wish I had a pic but car sold a few years ago .

Re: Who can stripe and re-plate a horn button base? - 11/13/16 11:00 PM

The Valspar 66005 Brushed Nickel isn't a good match for the horn button base.

It may work on my tail light bezels so it won't go to waste. Waiting for delivery of a can of the Krylon Brushed Nickel K05125500 to see how that compares.

Re: Who can stripe and re-plate a horn button base? - 11/14/16 12:25 AM

The Valspar 66005 Brushed Nickel isn't a good match for the horn button base.

It may work on my tail light bezels so it won't go to waste. Waiting for delivery of a can of the Krylon Brushed Nickel K05125500 to see how that compares.

If the Krylon doesn't cut it for you, don't laugh, but try some spray bumper chrome in a can, then hit it with some clear coat...it may be close to what your looking for

Re: Who can stripe and re-plate a horn button base? - 11/15/16 12:53 AM

You may want to try some paints like testers from a hobby store . I have 15-20 different silvers I use for resto from Krylon , Testors , rustoleoum ect .Lots of different touch up paints in spray cans at Advance Auto too . Im shure you can find something very close.
© 2024 Moparts Forums