Moparts

440-6 Center Carb Issue

Posted By: Stewpar

440-6 Center Carb Issue - 10/18/16 03:23 AM

So, car starts up on fast idle just fine. However, it won't kick down on its own or with throttle. I have to manually touch the plastic cam on the passenger side to get it to warm idle. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance help
Posted By: kevin69bman

Re: 440-6 Center Carb Issue - 10/18/16 03:36 AM

WD40
Posted By: NANKET

Re: 440-6 Center Carb Issue - 10/18/16 04:20 AM

Clean and lube the cam pivot.
Posted By: DAYCLONA

Re: 440-6 Center Carb Issue - 10/18/16 03:41 PM

Originally Posted By Stewpar
So, car starts up on fast idle just fine. However, it won't kick down on its own or with throttle. I have to manually touch the plastic cam on the passenger side to get it to warm idle. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance help

If it needs lubing, lube it as mentioned, however there is a small tang that rides on the various steps of the plastic cam for setting high speed idle, that you adjust by bending with pliers, perhaps it needs a tweak as it my be hanging up ever so slightly
Posted By: 62maxwgn

Re: 440-6 Center Carb Issue - 10/18/16 05:32 PM

Originally Posted By DAYCLONA

Thanks in advance help

If it needs lubing, lube it as mentioned, however there is a small tang that rides on the various steps of the plastic cam for setting high speed idle, that you adjust by bending with pliers, perhaps it needs a tweak as it my be hanging up ever so slightly

Mike,now you know you use a screw driver in the slot rather than pliers !! no grin

Re: 440-6 Center Carb Issue - 10/19/16 04:18 AM

Originally Posted By DAYCLONA

Thanks in advance help

Alright, this could be my issue. Should it be in contact with the cam or ? It does touch/rub on the cam.......

Should I insert a screw driver in the slot and twist away from the cam?

Re: 440-6 Center Carb Issue - 10/19/16 04:27 AM

Paul,this tab locates the cam,if it is bent to far forward,it won't let the lever drop off the cam when choke is fully open.

Attached picture PB070472.JPG

Re: 440-6 Center Carb Issue - 10/19/16 04:30 AM

Bill,

I have re-pop carbs on this car. I will take a picture, hold tight....

Re: 440-6 Center Carb Issue - 10/19/16 04:35 AM

Bad light, but you should get the idea.......

Attached picture IMG_0559.JPG
Attached picture IMG_0560.JPG
Posted By: NANKET

Re: 440-6 Center Carb Issue - 10/19/16 05:40 AM

At hot idle tha cam is down and the linkage dopes not touch the cam.

With the Choke on the cam is rotated up and the linkage rests on the cam for fast idle.

Re: 440-6 Center Carb Issue - 10/19/16 03:29 PM

Paul,the tang with the screw driver slot with the choke fully closed should be on a high step of the cam.It is then bent to give you the 2200 rpm for fast idle,as the choke warms the cam drops to the lower steps reducing idle speed.When the choke is at engine temp the tang will then clear the cam.The lever I pictured should be close to vertical when the choke is fully open to let the the cam clear the lever.
© 2024 Moparts Forums