Moparts

'67 Belvedere Steering Column Rebuild

Posted By: Belvedere2

'67 Belvedere Steering Column Rebuild - 10/16/16 11:08 PM

I'm wondering where to send my steering column in for a rebuild or if I can do it myself. I have that wonderful dead spot in my steering. I've replaced the steering box; Firm Feel, and everything forward of it and still have the dead spot. Power steering converted to manual so its even more annoying now. Are there gears that need replacing in the column itself? Thanks!
Posted By: NANKET

Re: '67 Belvedere Steering Column Rebuild - 10/17/16 01:19 AM

No gears in there, one piece bearing on top, and the lower bearing will fall apart when taking the shaft out. Balls will come out of the races. Unsure who rebuilds them.
Posted By: gtx6970

Re: '67 Belvedere Steering Column Rebuild - 10/17/16 02:37 PM

Only thing in there will cause in kind of dead spot is looseness in the lower coupler.
Or worst case ( it would have to be pretty bad ) is wear between the 2 sections of the main shaft itself.( never seen that though)

Like said ,,, the lower bearing on a 67 is a weird animal and can be a little complicated to a novice. Its a one year only deal

I can do it if your not comfortable doing so . I have a 68 Column on the bench now actually.
Posted By: minivan

Re: '67 Belvedere Steering Column Rebuild - 10/17/16 03:58 PM

Originally Posted By gtx6970

Like said ,,, the lower bearing on a 67 is a weird animal and can be a little complicated to a novice. Its a one year only deal

Indeed, an unobtainable part... Had to have a machine shop manufacture the plastic piece, that holds the metal retainer ( where the ball bearings fit into) . Purchased a package of new ball bearings also at a bearing supply house...

Attached picture DSCF0158 (1).JPG
Posted By: Belvedere2

Re: '67 Belvedere Steering Column Rebuild - 10/17/16 11:15 PM

Only thing in there will cause in kind of dead spot is looseness in the lower coupler.
Or worst case ( it would have to be pretty bad ) is wear between the 2 sections of the main shaft itself.( never seen that though)

I can do it if your not comfortable doing so . I have a 68 Column on the bench now actually.
Thank you. You can PM me what I'd need to do to get the part/column to you. Cost etc.
Posted By: gtx6970

Re: '67 Belvedere Steering Column Rebuild - 10/18/16 02:46 AM

Will send a pm sometime tomorrow
Posted By: dpatt67

Re: '67 Belvedere Steering Column Rebuild - 10/22/16 04:58 PM

SMSmopar.com rebuilds columns
Posted By: markz528

Re: '67 Belvedere Steering Column Rebuild - 10/29/16 03:06 AM

Originally Posted By minivan

Indeed, an unobtainable part... Had to have a machine shop manufacture the plastic piece, that holds the metal retainer ( where the ball bearings fit into) . Purchased a package of new ball bearings also at a bearing supply house...

There is a fellow making the lower bearing kit for a 67. I bought one in case I ever need it for my cars.

Re: '67 Belvedere Steering Column Rebuild - 10/29/16 03:22 AM

Originally Posted By markz528

There is a fellow making the lower bearing kit for a 67. I bought one in case I ever need it for my cars.

Good to know.. Do you have a website or name??
Posted By: markz528

Re: '67 Belvedere Steering Column Rebuild - 10/29/16 03:34 AM

Originally Posted By markz528

Good to know.. Do you have a website or name??

http://dynamicrenovation.net/viewitem.php?productid=90

Re: '67 Belvedere Steering Column Rebuild - 10/29/16 09:00 PM

TY, that is good info on a very hard part to find.....
© 2024 Moparts Forums