Moparts

Tips & tricks to restore fasteners to Black Oxide Phosphate

Posted By: Cuda Cody

Tips & tricks to restore fasteners to Black Oxide Phosphate - 08/13/16 11:39 PM

Some tips and tricks for restoring original fasteners at home to a Black Oxide Phosphate finish.

https://youtu.be/7vTn6l5h67A

Always appreciate the positive feedback and thumbs up!
Posted By: FC7cuda

Re: Tips & tricks to restore fasteners to Black Oxide Phosphate - 08/14/16 01:08 AM

Nicely done!

Thumbs up!!

Tom
Posted By: ScottSmith_Harms

Re: Tips & tricks to restore fasteners to Black Oxide Phosphate - 08/14/16 01:53 AM

Good job Cody!
Posted By: Mr Gorsky

Re: Tips & tricks to restore fasteners to Black Oxide Phosphate - 08/14/16 02:33 AM

Thumbs up from me!
Posted By: BlueRacer69

Re: Tips & tricks to restore fasteners to Black Oxide Phosphate - 08/14/16 04:04 AM

2 Thumbs Up.
Posted By: 70gtx440dana

Re: Tips & tricks to restore fasteners to Black Oxide Phosphate - 08/14/16 04:43 AM

Thanks!!!! Nice job! 2 Thumbs up!
Posted By: 71rm23

Re: Tips & tricks to restore fasteners to Black Oxide Phosphate - 08/14/16 06:39 AM

Thumbs up for sure Cody! Need to make a sticky of this and other videos. I put this in my favorites.
Posted By: ogopogo

Re: Tips & tricks to restore fasteners to Black Oxide Phosphate - 08/14/16 07:59 AM

pro video ,nice job!
I have used the caswell product on my last couple restos and i prefer to use rpm instead of the caswell sealer or wd40 for a flatter more durable finish,just my experience...

Re: Tips & tricks to restore fasteners to Black Oxide Phosphate - 08/14/16 08:08 AM

That's a great suggestions. I still have some RPM that I'll try your idea with. Scott Smith (Harms) also suggested with the SEM bolts (captured washers) that a soak in Evaporust after the wire wheel / media blasting might get even more of the rust off from under the washer. Then a quick rinse and dry off before the Black Oxide should work really good.

Both those ideas are great. Thanks for sharing those! I love to learn new ways to do it.

Originally Posted By ogopogo
pro video ,nice job!
I have used the caswell product on my last couple restos and i prefer to use rpm instead of the caswell sealer or wd40 for a flatter more durable finish,just my experience...
Posted By: Dixie

Re: Tips & tricks to restore fasteners to Black Oxide Phosphate - 08/14/16 03:18 PM

Good video!
Posted By: mopars4ever

Re: Tips & tricks to restore fasteners to Black Oxide Phosphate - 08/14/16 11:25 PM

Eastwood sells the same type of stuff that I have used for years. Without a good top coating they will rust once exposed to weather. The sealant that comes with it doesn`t hold up to well. I ended up spraying with a coat of satin clear spray.

Re: Tips & tricks to restore fasteners to Black Oxide Phosphate - 08/15/16 12:27 AM

I've had a few people tell me they use a clear spray instead of an oil. I'm going to give it a try! thumbs

Originally Posted By mopars4ever
Eastwood sells the same type of stuff that I have used for years. Without a good top coating they will rust once exposed to weather. The sealant that comes with it doesn`t hold up to well. I ended up spraying with a coat of satin clear spray.
Posted By: KWF340

Re: Tips & tricks to restore fasteners to Black Oxide Phosphate - 08/15/16 02:41 AM

I've used RPM as the sealer too - seems to work well.
Posted By: 5carguy

Re: Tips & tricks to restore fasteners to Black Oxide Phosphate - 08/15/16 02:33 PM

iagree Me too
Posted By: mopars4ever

Re: Tips & tricks to restore fasteners to Black Oxide Phosphate - 08/15/16 06:29 PM

I used RPM on some stuff on my daily driver and it didn`t hold up at all. It rusted like there wasn`t anything on it.
Posted By: KWF340

Re: Tips & tricks to restore fasteners to Black Oxide Phosphate - 08/15/16 07:27 PM

Originally Posted By mopars4ever
I used RPM on some stuff on my daily driver and it didn`t hold up at all. It rusted like there wasn`t anything on it.

I've seen that too if the coverage isn't good. I think when RPM first came out ECS stated you can wipe off the excess RPM right after application (i.e., while the part was still warm). The logic was that the RPM was already in the "pores" of the metal and wiping off the excess did not remove the RPM in the pores. I tried that and it seemed to provide spotty protection. Now I just apply it and let it be - it's worked fairly well for me.
© 2024 Moparts Forums