Moparts

AMD bumpers

Posted By: little buddy

AMD bumpers - 08/11/16 08:03 PM

Has anyone used the AMD bumpers and if so how do they fit and how is the chrome I'm needing them for a 71 charger any info would be great thanks.
Posted By: ratroaster

Re: AMD bumpers - 08/11/16 08:29 PM

They fit ok not perfect. The chrome is comparable to factory quality not show chrome. This was for a '68 Charger.
Posted By: Stanton

Re: AMD bumpers - 08/11/16 09:13 PM

I imagine AMD and Goodmark source them from the same place. I bought a set of Goodmarks for a '69 RR. Here's the lowdown - no reason to expect differently for different models ...

1) chrome is triple plated and is very nice.
2) there are flaws in the front stamping that show in the final product
3) there is a grind mark in the rear that was not filled/buffed before plating
4) there is a grind mark in the front that was not filled/buffed before plating
5) these are new stampings so the backs are nice - not full of pits, dents, etc.
6) the edges are finished nicely.

The bottom line ... they are quite likely as good as originals ever were. They are not "perfect". They are not "show quality". BUT ... they are a fraction of the price of rechroming. They are absolutely nice driver quality.
Posted By: 6PKRTSE

Re: AMD bumpers - 08/12/16 06:58 PM

I just put a pair on my 70 Challenger & the fit & finish looks great. They look awesome on my car. Much better then the old 45 year old beat up bumpers that came off of it. Worth the money in my opinion & as mentioned much cheaper then re-chroming.
Posted By: fastmark

Re: AMD bumpers - 08/12/16 08:00 PM

I decided that some of the guys on the charger board had given the 70 charger bumpers low enough marks for the price of the bumper, that I would have my original chromed. It had only a slightly bent corner. I think they are 299 or 399 from AMD. I got mine chromed in Dallas by quality bumpers. They are triple chromed with copper on first so I would call them show quality. It was $550 all done. I'm glad I went this route.
Posted By: Dixie

Re: AMD bumpers - 08/12/16 08:08 PM

I put a set on my son's '71 Demon and I think they look great. They are for drivers or cruise night cars. If you are doing a super high end car, then have some good originals redone.

We're a dealer for AMD, so if anyone needs a price quote, be glad to help.

Attached picture WP_20160712_002.jpg
Attached picture WP_20160712_001.jpg
Attached picture WP_20160715_001.jpg
Attached picture WP_20160715_003.jpg
Posted By: davesmopars

Re: AMD bumpers - 08/13/16 05:32 AM

The bumper are not consistent . I had a 68 barracuda one that was so bad I sold it. It was to late to return. but had a decent one. I would buy one at a show so you can look at them.
Posted By: basketcase

Re: AMD bumpers - 08/17/16 05:22 AM

I got a pair for mine from Jeff at 521 Restorations. great fit, nice finish.Three years later they still look great.
Posted By: Cuda Cody

Re: AMD bumpers - 08/17/16 07:43 AM

I tried a set of AMD Challenger bumpers and they were junk. Took them right off car the same day. Could not stand how thin they were and the chrome wasn't good at all.

I've had really good luck with brand new Keystone Show Chrome bumpers. They are not the flimsy thin metal like the AMD. Pretty sure David at Roseville has some really good prices (better then advertised) on Keystone bumpers if you tell him you're from Moparts (or tell him you know me). After re-choming some originals in the past, I just get new Keystones now and they are super nice. Here's the link to his site...

http://www.rosevillemoparts.com/product_...roducts_id/8508

Not sure if Keystone makes a 71 Charger bumper though. Might be worth a call to David.
Posted By: DAYCLONA

Re: AMD bumpers - 08/17/16 10:40 AM

Originally Posted By Cuda Cody
I tried a set of AMD Challenger bumpers and they were junk. Took them right off car the same day. Could not stand how thin they were and the chrome wasn't good at all.

I've had really good luck with brand new Keystone Show Chrome bumpers. They are not the flimsy thin metal like the AMD. Pretty sure David at Roseville has some really good prices (better then advertised) on Keystone bumpers if you tell him you're from Moparts (or tell him you know me). After re-choming some originals in the past, I just get new Keystones now and they are super nice. Here's the link to his site...

Not sure if Keystone makes a 71 Charger bumper though. Might be worth a call to David.

Keystones are AMD bumpers, rechromed....
Posted By: Cuda Cody

Re: AMD bumpers - 08/22/16 08:11 PM

Had to do some research, but what I found was Keystone was making bumpers before AMD offered them. The Keystone bumpers are brought in raw and require the final stamping (around the license plate area) to be done in Wisconsin. The AMD bumpers come completely done in chrome from Taiwan.

The AMD set I had for my Challenger were not very good. The first time I tried Keystone I lined them up with an original and they felt as thick and the same weight. With the AMD bumpers I could feel they were lighter right away. Next time I get a set of Keystone bumpers in I'll put mics on them and get a real number.

It's possible that they are both getting them stamped by the same company but with different spec metal. I'm still looking in to this. But for my cars, I will stick to original re-chromed or Keystone.

Originally Posted By DAYCLONA
Originally Posted By Cuda Cody

Keystones are AMD bumpers, rechromed....
Posted By: Stanton

Re: AMD bumpers - 08/22/16 10:01 PM

Quote:
It's possible that they are both getting them stamped by the same company but with different spec metal.

Not likely. Dies are specific to metal thickness. If you put thicker metal in a die than its made for it will ruin the die. If you put thinner than the die is made for the stamping will lack definition.
© 2024 Moparts Forums