Moparts

OE Leaf Spring Clamp

Posted By: VCODE

OE Leaf Spring Clamp - 08/03/16 12:52 AM

Looking at OE 024 & 034 70 E-body leaf spring clamps. It seems that the repro clamps are clear / silver zinc plated, which are way too shiny in my eyes. Should the clamps be natural steel? Does anyone make or sell the correct looking ones?
TIA Bob
Posted By: ScottSmith_Harms

Re: OE Leaf Spring Clamp - 08/03/16 01:58 AM

Natural steel, and left that way if the leaf springs were left unpainted. If the springs are painted black, so should the clamps, most agree the entire spring assemblies were dipped in paint.
Posted By: blewbyu

Re: OE Leaf Spring Clamp - 08/03/16 02:18 AM

So are you saying some springs and clamps were unpainted and some painted? I am getting ready to work on my rear end and it looks like they were unpainted on my 69 Dart.
Posted By: Alaskan_TA

Re: OE Leaf Spring Clamp - 08/03/16 02:20 AM

Look between your spring leafs for paint residue when you take them out.

Re: OE Leaf Spring Clamp - 08/03/16 02:32 AM

Yes, some were painted, and some were not. The paint was very thin and often deteriorated and was replaced with rust rather quickly so before deciding, as Barry said, look VERY closely between the springs and other protected areas for remnants of paint.
Posted By: Q5_Ed

Re: OE Leaf Spring Clamp - 08/03/16 05:47 AM

Give a choice what do you think looks better on a A12 road runner?

Re: OE Leaf Spring Clamp - 08/03/16 01:56 PM

Thanks for the Info. Where can I get the correct natural clamps. The repro ones don't look correct for unpainted springs
Bob

Re: OE Leaf Spring Clamp - 08/03/16 02:39 PM

I don't know of a source. You could just give them a quick dip the plated versions in muratic acid to remove the plating, rinse them off really well then buff them with 0000 steel wool to a natural sheen, finish with a good rust prevention product.

Re: OE Leaf Spring Clamp - 08/03/16 08:04 PM

Yes Scott, I was going to try something like that or maybe media blast then RPM
Thanks Bob
Posted By: drgordi

Re: OE Leaf Spring Clamp - 08/05/16 07:09 PM

The bad thing about blasting is it leaves the blasted look instead of the natural finish you are looking for.

Re: OE Leaf Spring Clamp - 08/05/16 07:59 PM

Originally Posted By drgordi
The bad thing about blasting is it leaves the blasted look instead of the natural finish you are looking for.

You are right. The clamp that is being sold does not seem to be steel.
I have some things I am thinking of, yet you know if it works out
Thanks Bob
Posted By: fuelishnsilly

Re: OE Leaf Spring Clamp - 08/05/16 08:44 PM

Originally Posted By drgordi

I think it all depends on the kind of media you use. Walnut shells and glass beads I don't think leave that impregnated look like black oxide or whatever that stuff called Black Beauty is.
Posted By: 1969ronnie

Re: OE Leaf Spring Clamp - 08/05/16 09:11 PM

frank b has and makes the natural ones. plus he has real zinc interliners, not made out of sheet metal. ronnie

Re: OE Leaf Spring Clamp - 08/05/16 10:12 PM

OK, I called Frank but may need to wait till Monday. He must be busy.
Thanks Bob
Posted By: mopars4ever

Re: OE Leaf Spring Clamp - 08/06/16 12:03 AM

If they are steel, glass bead em and then hit them with some steel wool and they will look natural.

Re: OE Leaf Spring Clamp - 08/06/16 01:13 AM

I forgot about Frank having them, he won't let you down.

Re: OE Leaf Spring Clamp - 08/06/16 02:11 AM

Tried calling Frank, he must be busy. I will call on monday I am sure he will have the right clamp.
Thanks everyone
Bob
Posted By: 72ls5fla

Re: OE Leaf Spring Clamp - 08/06/16 02:17 AM

I purchased the entire rebuild kit from frank.
For my 023/034 springs

Spot on!!
Very happy

Bill
© 2024 Moparts Forums