Moparts

Paint OK stamp question

Posted By: 5wndwcpe

Paint OK stamp question - 03/02/16 09:14 PM

Below is a picture of the PAINT OK stamp on my '68 B body. I'm restoring the car and would like to duplicate the stamp when it's done but I can't quite make out the bottom of the stamp. It reads :

PAINT
OK

the rest is a mystery.

Anybody ?

Attached picture P1010017.JPG
Posted By: 70 buzz

Re: Paint OK stamp question - 03/03/16 02:38 AM

That is all mine had on it paint ok and a number and that was it.
Also had something like that in the glove box but I forget what it said without looking.
Posted By: B5Cuda440-6

Re: Paint OK stamp question - 03/03/16 04:13 AM

Here's some other reference "OK" Inspection marks from MMCDetroit. It looks like all the stamps are "Paint OK", however your stamp definitely looks like it has some additional text below it. Can you take a close-up picture?

http://www.mmcdetroit.com/ICCA/References/Inspection_Marks/
Posted By: Stewpar

Re: Paint OK stamp question - 03/03/16 04:20 AM

I had this stamp made for my 69 Roadrunner, feel free to use it if you wish..........
Posted By: SCATPK

Re: Paint OK stamp question - 03/03/16 05:16 AM

The 1963 Plymouth Savoy that I am currently putting back together had a OK stamp on the forward section of the passenger fender. May try to re stamp it.

Re: Paint OK stamp question - 03/03/16 06:10 AM

Originally Posted By B5Cuda440-6
Here's some other reference "OK" Inspection marks from MMCDetroit. It looks like all the stamps are "Paint OK", however your stamp definitely looks like it has some additional text below it. Can you take a close-up picture?

This is the best I have.

Also, I'm guessing this a Lynch Rd. only thing ?

Attached picture P1010017-3.jpg
Posted By: srt

Re: Paint OK stamp question - 03/03/16 04:53 PM

my st louis build 68 has no paint stamp

Re: Paint OK stamp question - 03/03/16 07:19 PM

I think a lot of Lynch Road got the stamp
Posted By: B5Cuda440-6

Re: Paint OK stamp question - 03/03/16 07:25 PM

Yes, I've seen many Lynch cars that have a similar stamp. Yours is the first I've seen with additional characters below the "OK". I'm sure there were others, however.
Posted By: parksr5

Re: Paint OK stamp question - 03/03/16 11:28 PM

Not to be smart but, since you are trying to duplicate the stamp, do you really need to know what it says? I would think a high resolution picture of the stamp with some measurements would work to take to someone that can re-produce it the exact same.

Re: Paint OK stamp question - 03/03/16 11:49 PM

I used a compass and locked it in to make the right circle and had one made. Still have it but has a different number on it. I think I had it made at Office Depot

Re: Paint OK stamp question - 03/05/16 05:54 AM

Originally Posted By parksr5
Not to be smart but, since you are trying to duplicate the stamp, do you really need to know what it says? I would think a high resolution picture of the stamp with some measurements would work to take to someone that can re-produce it the exact same.

Actually, that's a pretty good idea. I'll run that past the stamp dude.

Thanks fellas
Posted By: flypaper

Re: Paint OK stamp question - 03/05/16 05:59 AM

http://www.71sg.com/stamps.html

i don't know how correct this one is
Posted By: RoadRunnerJD

Re: Paint OK stamp question - 03/06/16 06:58 AM

Originally Posted By 5wndwcpe
Originally Posted By B5Cuda440-6

This is the best I have.

Also, I'm guessing this a Lynch Rd. only thing ?

Looks like the initials P.D.A.

Re: Paint OK stamp question - 03/07/16 06:39 PM

For one time stamps I've used a potato and carefully carved it out backward by taking a pic, mirroring it, tracing and going to work with an exacto knife gouge. let the potato dry slightly after cutting to size and before carving out design.
another means is to cut the stamp out of foam or thick gasket material and glue it on a block of wood inverted.

Re: Paint OK stamp question - 03/07/16 06:41 PM

Originally Posted By RoadRunnerJD
Looks like the initials P.D.A.

Paint Department Approval shruggy

Re: Paint OK stamp question - 03/08/16 02:58 AM

Originally Posted By srt
For one time stamps I've used a potato and carefully carved it out backward by taking a pic, mirroring it, tracing and going to work with an exacto knife gouge. let the potato dry slightly after cutting to size and before carving out design.
another means is to cut the stamp out of foam or thick gasket material and glue it on a block of wood inverted.

A potato stamp, now that's ingenious.

.... now to find some edible ink.
© 2024 Moparts Forums