Moparts

Heater Box Plastic repair

Posted By: DusterJeff

Heater Box Plastic repair - 12/18/15 08:04 AM

Hi, I,m looking for info on heater box plastic repair ,I,m wondering if it is similar to using the method of plastic chips and acetone to repair plastic grilles like the sharktooth grille, or do I just use an epoxy??? I,m trying to get back on track with the restoration of my 70 Duster and I,m working on my heater box that has a split on the corner seam. Thanks for any help.... work
Posted By: Stanton

Re: Heater Box Plastic repair - 12/18/15 03:35 PM

I had one of the duct hose nozzles badly damaged. Fiberglas was pretty much my only option.
Posted By: ScottSmith_Harms

Re: Heater Box Plastic repair - 12/18/15 05:53 PM

Jeff, no, the ABS/Acetone mix would not be the way to go. Heater boxes are made of RIM molded plastic (Reaction Injection Molding) it's much like a fiber reinforced epoxy that is cured under heat and pressure. It does not have the typical characteristics of injection molded resins.

Repairs can be made with two part epoxies, I like this stuff:

http://www.jbweld.com/products/highheat-epoxy-putty

Larger patches can be reinforced with a patch of fiberglass window screen. After smoothing it over you can sand and paint to blend.

Posted By: DusterJeff

Re: Heater Box Plastic repair - 12/18/15 06:09 PM

Thanks Scott,I was wondering what the heater box was made of.I,m going to my favorite store {Fleet Farm} tonight,I,ll pick some J-B weld up. I was contemplating using some stuff I,ve got from 3-M to use on glueing body panel patches together. I got to read the recommendations on the instruction sheet that came with the cartridge. It is 2 part also but mixed via the applicator tube that screws on the end of the cartridge.I though if I remember right, it can be used on some plastics. I wasn,t sure what the heaterbox was made of.......Jeff up
Posted By: ScottSmith_Harms

Re: Heater Box Plastic repair - 12/18/15 06:46 PM

That 3M stuff will probably work but it's WAY overkill for the job.
Posted By: EV2RTSE

Re: Heater Box Plastic repair - 12/18/15 07:21 PM

RestoRick has a good how-to on his website-

http://www.restorick.com/tech/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=75
© 2024 Moparts Forums