Moparts

HEMI K Frame differences???

Posted By: domingo

HEMI K Frame differences??? - 12/14/15 10:32 PM

If I copy the motor mount provisions off a 68 or 69 B Body HEMI K member and locate them on the exact same spots on an E Body K frame after I shave off the regular V8 mounts, would I have a K frame that locates the HEMI in the correct spot for an E Body?????

I am asking this because I heard sometime that the actual steel HEMI motor mounts (the left and right units that bolt on the block and then to the insulators) were different between years and bodystyles. I always thought they were all the same. Im not 100% sure if this is true though!!!

So having said that, I was wondering if the K frame HEMI motor mount provisions on the 68-69 and 70-71 E Body HEMI K frames would be basically the same or would they vary?

Im trying to make me a repro E Body HEMI K frame using a regular V8 E Body K frame and a 68/69 B Body HEMI K frame as a template to copy from....
Posted By: PurpleBeeper

Re: HEMI K Frame differences??? - 12/14/15 11:56 PM

I believe that there are only 3 K-frames for an E-body.
- 6cyl/small block
- Big block
- Hemi/Six-pack

The only difference between the k-frames on a hemi/six-pack car and the regular big block k-frame is that the hemi's and six-pack got a skid plate (to protect the oil pan) and a small metal "coin" welded onto the front edge, driver's side.

Bottom line is start with a big block k-frame. You can buy the skid plate (reproduced) and make a fake "coin" pretty easily (if you're trying to look original). B-body & E-body k-frames are the same.

Re: HEMI K Frame differences??? - 12/15/15 12:15 AM

Hemi k frames are unique. They take different motor mounts.

All v8 k frames are thr same 6 packs had the skid pad and coin...but they are no different from any ither k frame save for that.

Then u habe the 6 cyl.

B body and e body k frames are different due to the way the sway bar mounts. Im not sure about engine placement though....and thats what im concernwd about
Posted By: mattsmopars

Re: HEMI K Frame differences??? - 12/15/15 12:21 AM

mega parts list their repro hemi K frame as 71-72 B body and 70-74 E body.
I would think the upper K frame portion of the mounts would be basically the same as the 66-69 B body hemi K frame. As you mention they have different skid plates and different sway bar mounts.
I think the metal engine mounts vary between year and body but the rubber isolators are about the same.
Matt
Posted By: mattsmopars

Re: HEMI K Frame differences??? - 12/15/15 12:24 AM

Here are the links to their page.
engine Mounts and brackets: http://www.megapartsusa.com/products.asp?cat=497
K frame: http://www.megapartsusa.com/products.asp?cat=503
Maybe that will help.
Matt
Posted By: 71birdJ68

Re: HEMI K Frame differences??? - 12/15/15 12:57 AM

The best think to do is call Mega parts and ask them about it. There is differences between the years and bodies and I think even between the mount brackets.
Posted By: astjp2

Re: HEMI K Frame differences??? - 12/15/15 03:12 AM

Al Debevec mods them, gave the information and patterns to Mega parts, now they are modding them too. Tim
Posted By: radiatorman

Re: HEMI K Frame differences??? - 12/15/15 04:15 PM

And I believe that the steering box is at a different angle between the e-body and b-body in 70-71's. Be careful dude!!

Bob beer

Re: HEMI K Frame differences??? - 12/15/15 04:18 PM

Aha-!

Well, I would not be messing w the steering box mounts!! Just copying and welding the HEMI style motor mount provisions on the K frame.....

I guess I will do something easier....

Ill compare the regular V8 motor mount location on a B vs. E Body K frame. If they are the same I will assume that the HEMI should be the same!!!!
Posted By: Maxwellwedge

Re: HEMI K Frame differences??? - 12/15/15 05:51 PM

Hemi B-Bodies used a different mount (left side) than an E-Body. It used an extra bolt on the mount.

Re: HEMI K Frame differences??? - 12/16/15 12:42 AM

What body and year are you working on?

Re: HEMI K Frame differences??? - 12/16/15 12:55 AM

I have a k frame off a 68 hemi rr and one off a 69 hemi charger.

I am working on a 71 hemicuda clone. Its got the regular v8 k frame. This is the onr i want to convert over to hemi.

I compared a regular v8 68 b body k frame with the 71 e k frame and they position the engine in the exact same spot. So i assume the hemi k frames also must position the engine on the same spot....
Posted By: cudachas

Re: HEMI K Frame differences??? - 12/16/15 02:34 AM

I just did the hemi in a 70 cuda swap and used a complete kit from mega parts. I had bought a 70 b body hemi k frame first but found out that the steering box angle was different and the motor would not sit exactly where it should, sold that k frame and got the mega parts set up. If you are putting a shaker on the car its real important to have the motor in the right location. It was a little expensive but well worth it in the end, the motor fits perfect and the shaker sits right where it should. Like someone else said, give Roy a call at mega parts, real nice folks and very knowledgeable on these K frame differences. Good luck!

Re: HEMI K Frame differences??? - 12/16/15 03:41 AM

In a E body/ 71 B body the engine sits different in the car than earlier cars. I still think the best thing to do is call Mega and let them tell you what you need to do.
© 2024 Moparts Forums