Moparts

Challenger T/A hood pins

Posted By: Mastershake340

Challenger T/A hood pins - 12/12/15 10:16 PM

I'm trying to get parts together to complete putting together my T/A project. When the restoration shop disassembled my hood pins years back they put the parts in a bag, and I believe they are original to the car as I have owned it since '78.
A few things I am not 100% certain on I'm hoping I can get clarification on.
First, the plates on my hood were held on by phillips head screws. I checked the survivor sibling of my car, 2 VIN after mine and its plates were attached to the hood with screws. The repro kits I see for T/As have rivets and the ones for other than Trans Am cars have screws. I checked Barry's DVD of the "173 mile T/A" and its plates are riveted.
So what gives, it looks like they were supposed to be riveted on, but did some get riveted and others attached with screws? Or could the hood on both my car and my twin's have been damaged years ago and both hood pin plates screwed on when the new hoods installed?
Looking at pictures like Barry's DVD of the hood pin installed to the fender skirt, there appears to be a washer or spacer installed between the nut and the fender. No such washers in my bag of parts removed from the car. I'm guessing there were washers but mine were lost or swiped in the last 16 years the car has been away between 2 shops etc.
I don't see them in pictures of the parts you get with the repro kits. Are they a standard size that I can get at the hardware store, or if not, available someplace? Plated or painted?
I had my original pins and plates polished and restored by my friend Tom, who is a trim resto guru who works with Special T's. They look great! I'm planning to use them along with some repro parts for the hood pin installation on my car.

Attached picture Hood pins.jpg
Posted By: Maxwellwedge

Re: Challenger T/A hood pins - 12/14/15 05:47 PM

Frank Badalson has those thick concave washers. they go under the nut on the top side. They install a certain way.....I believe with the "cupped" edges facing up. The star washer goes on the underside.

Never seen anything but rivets on a T/A, AAR or A12.
Posted By: DAYCLONA

Re: Challenger T/A hood pins - 12/14/15 07:06 PM

Quote:

Never seen anything but rivets on a T/A, AAR or A12.

Agreed, only seen rivets on T/A-AAR's, A12 has 3 rivets one screw per bezel to retain lanyard IIRC
Posted By: sailboat

Re: Challenger T/A hood pins - 12/14/15 07:23 PM

All hood plates were riveted. I bought my T/A new in May of 1971. Based upon what i can make out from your photo,your pins are not the orginal pins either. The original pins were more "flat" on the extreme round part of the curve on your pin. The "curve" wasnt as long either. Your lanyards are correct, cant tell about your plates from the pic.
Posted By: RoadRunner

Re: Challenger T/A hood pins - 12/14/15 10:56 PM

I thought steel hoods had screws and 'glass hoods had rivits?
Posted By: screamindriver

Re: Challenger T/A hood pins - 12/15/15 12:00 AM

Originally Posted By RoadRunner
I thought steel hoods had screws and 'glass hoods had rivits?
Correct, but the topic of this thread is for T/A hoods...

Brad, as someone has mentioned{and your hood plate screws confirm} some of the hoodpin hardware does'nt look original...Here's a comparison shot of the other components from a previous thread...

Attached picture 70-71e-bodyhoodpin.jpg

Re: Challenger T/A hood pins - 12/15/15 06:08 AM

Great info here, thanks! beer
I mispoke with my mention of pins, I guess studs is a better term for the components I had polished, along with the plates or bezels.
I hadn't given much thought to the pins, and now based on the info posted here I am wondering which of the ones I have here are original and correct.
Here are the ones I posted before along with a couple others I had in the bag of hood pin components. The ones on the lanyards are about 2-5/8" long.
The loose ones are about 3-3/8" long. Are they correct?
The parts I am missing are shown in the second picture of Tim Welborn's former survivor T/A and looks like the middle picture screamindriver posted. Are these a standard size, or available from a restoration parts supplier?

Attached picture IMG_0400.JPG
Attached picture 11-19 and 20-11 121.jpg
Posted By: steve70

Re: Challenger T/A hood pins - 12/15/15 02:22 PM

The shorter ones look closer to original but my 32K mile car has more of a D-shape at the top.The second picture is the original hardware.

Attached picture Hood pins (2).jpg
Attached picture Hood pins (6).jpg
Posted By: Maxwellwedge

Re: Challenger T/A hood pins - 12/15/15 05:47 PM

I would just get the complete kit from Frank Badalson.
He has done all the research and his stuff is the most correct out there.
Posted By: 5carguy

Re: Challenger T/A hood pins - 12/16/15 12:40 AM

iagreeHis parts are not cheap,but they are correct.

Re: Challenger T/A hood pins - 12/16/15 12:58 AM

I am going to need to get a shopping list together of stuff to buy from Frank, so I might end up buying a hood pin kit from him at the same time.
I see he has those washer/spacers or whatever they are called, that I am missing. That has been one of my main concerns.
© 2024 Moparts Forums