Moparts

1970 Cuda hockey stripe decal

Posted By: gregok

1970 Cuda hockey stripe decal - 11/27/15 08:23 PM

I see there are two listed hockey stripe decals for the 70 Cuda, one being matte finish. Anyone have a preference or dislike of either?
Posted By: tman

Re: 1970 Cuda hockey stripe decal - 11/28/15 12:22 AM

Don't want wax on matte. I like the gloss, but its up to the owner.
Posted By: ChallengerGary

Re: 1970 Cuda hockey stripe decal - 12/02/15 05:22 PM

for originality, gloss black was how they originally came. That being said, I sell a lot more matte black ones than gloss black...
Posted By: gregok

Re: 1970 Cuda hockey stripe decal - 12/04/15 02:32 AM

Okay, thanks
Posted By: Pacnorthcuda

Re: 1970 Cuda hockey stripe decal - 12/04/15 02:38 AM

Originally Posted By ChallengerGary
for originality, gloss black was how they originally came. That being said, I sell a lot more matte black ones than gloss black...

Ummm....no. Original factory hockey sticks were matte.

Re: 1970 Cuda hockey stripe decal - 12/04/15 04:40 PM

Originally Posted By Pacnorthcuda

99% sure they were all gloss black originally. Matte Black came into favor shortly thereafter but I could be wrong.
Posted By: Maxwellwedge

Re: 1970 Cuda hockey stripe decal - 12/04/15 05:44 PM

Originally Posted By Pacnorthcuda

Gloss - but not really glossy on originals.
Posted By: fk5hemi

Re: 1970 Cuda hockey stripe decal - 12/04/15 06:57 PM

I have been wondering where to find the correct decals myself. It seems what is available is either flat or high gloss. I thought matte should be low gloss, but I am finding it to be too flat compared to originals.

Re: 1970 Cuda hockey stripe decal - 12/04/15 11:01 PM

The modern 3M matte black is entirely too flat. I have found that Avery Matte black as a much closer to the original matte black sheen. That is the reason I use it instead of 3M. 3M does now offer a satin black in their wrap material line that has a slight sheen to it and, although not as close to the original as the Avery, it is much closer than their matte.
Posted By: Neil

Re: 1970 Cuda hockey stripe decal - 12/05/15 04:40 AM

Here is a low mileage 70 dart that still has the original paint and black vinyl stripe. Stripe looks like it has some reflectivity to it.

http://www.showyourauto.com/manager/uploads/thumb/TW_1970_DartSwingerWM31.jpg

http://www.showyourauto.com/manager/uploads/thumb/TW_1970_DartSwingerWM60.jpg
Posted By: JoshsMuscleCar

Re: 1970 Cuda hockey stripe decal - 12/28/15 04:38 PM

Guys, if you are still searching, please keep us in mind.

http://www.musclecarparts.cc/shop/search.aspx?search=cuda+hockey

We offer discounts for Moparts Members (coupon Moparts) and free shipping on everything over $99.00.

Thank you!
Posted By: Cuda Cody

Re: 1970 Cuda hockey stripe decal - 12/29/15 05:15 AM

I have owned a sign company for over 19 years and when I need a Cuda or Challenger decal I use ChallengerGary. Sure, I can make them myself, but his artwork has fits perfect and the price is really fair.

As for the correct sheen, I would say the gloss is more correct, but the gloss vinyls today are to glossy. It's almost right in the middle. IMO the originals would better described as satin. With my sign company I've used 3M, Oracal, Avery, Arlon, Gerber, and some misc custom brands. They all have a slightly different sheen and color palette. But as long as you're using Premium (specifically CAST vinyls) and not Calendar vinyls you will get a good product. The different between the two is the Cast vinyls are "broadCast" from a liquid state on to the backing and have almost no memory. The Calendar vinyls are pressed to shape and will shrink a lot over time.

This photo is from Barry's website and shows the original 173 mile T/A stripe. He's sent me some better close ups of the stripe (I don't want to share them without his permission) but this photo from his site shows it with a little more gloss then in real life.

Hard to say gloss is 100% right or that matte is 100% right. Neither are perfect. twocents
Posted By: Cuda Cody

Re: 1970 Cuda hockey stripe decal - 12/29/15 05:27 AM

For what it's worth, same 1970 original 173 mile T/A car from a different angle and it almost looks flat.
Posted By: Sunroofcuda

Re: 1970 Cuda hockey stripe decal - 12/31/15 05:09 AM

I don't think so. I think the OE were satin finish. I bought some from Chrysler back in the mid 70's.
Posted By: DaveRS23

Re: 1970 Cuda hockey stripe decal - 12/31/15 04:27 PM

I'll try to remember to look, but I think that I have a hockey stick stripe new in the original Mopar package. But it will be from the late 70s. Would that be from the same vendor and made with the same materials as came on the actual cars in 70?
© 2024 Moparts Forums