Moparts

Shaker Adapter Ring Nuts

Posted By: mopar4ya

Shaker Adapter Ring Nuts - 11/12/15 03:58 AM

Does anyone know if the square nuts that are welded to the adapter ring are available from any vendor, or am I looking for some used ones.

Thanks
Dan.
Posted By: mccannix

Re: Shaker Adapter Ring Nuts - 11/12/15 05:44 AM

Any used ones you find would be attached to something I would think.
How many do you need ?
Posted By: 71rm23

Re: Shaker Adapter Ring Nuts - 11/12/15 06:12 AM

mopar4ya-you can make those if you have the means. If so, it's kinda a PITA but it can be done. I needed one for mounting the steering column in the firewall. My friend had some metal laying around sowe took some measurements of a good one, cut a piece out of metal, drilled it, tapped it, welded it on and BINGO. As we all know with these cars, not all things are available, gotta improvise sometimes.

Re: Shaker Adapter Ring Nuts - 11/12/15 06:49 AM

Since you have the seldom seen adapter ring with the nuts welded on top, they take the larger thread bolt ( your style shown on right, smaller thread more common underside nut on left ).

Attached picture adapternuts.jpg
Attached picture adaptertop1.jpg

Re: Shaker Adapter Ring Nuts - 11/12/15 06:52 AM

These can be found on certain brackets Chrysler used, among them, the brackets used to mount a/c condensors for our mopars.
Removing them is another matter.

Attached picture zzd2.jpg
Attached picture zzd1.jpg
Posted By: Morty426

Re: Shaker Adapter Ring Nuts - 11/12/15 12:58 PM

Originally Posted By mccannix
Since you have the seldom seen adapter ring with the nuts welded on top, they take the larger thread bolt ( your style shown on right, smaller thread more common underside nut on left ).

I have an NOS ring that is also like that - LOL

Re: Shaker Adapter Ring Nuts - 11/12/15 02:25 PM

Why were there 2 different styles used, early and late or was the large nut set up not a good design ?. How did the nut get attached to the ring, was it crimped or fusion welded. And how would be the best way to reattach these. I am in need of 3.

Thanks
Dan.

Re: Shaker Adapter Ring Nuts - 11/12/15 03:18 PM

Quote:
Why were there 2 different styles used, early and late or was the large nut set up not a good design ?. How did the nut get attached to the ring, was it crimped or fusion welded. And how would be the best way to reattach these. I am in need of 3.
Thanks
Dan.

I was told once by a close friend who worked at Fram, that an employee read the print wrong and welded them on the top.
His job that day was to do the nuts on the adapter which are 10-24.
The feet brackets which have the nut fused by same process were close by and use the larger diameter 1/4-20.
He likely grabbed the wrong nuts.
Today a plant would have YOUR nuts for doing that, but quality control in the 70's was not what it is today.
Apparently this went on all day until a supervisor caught it.
Because it was a peak period and demand was high to get these units completed and shipped to Hamtramck, they let 150 or so of these adapters escape.
I have seen a few of these adapters with the smaller 10-24 on top as well.
Thats his story and I'm sticking to it up

Attached picture foot340.jpg

Re: Shaker Adapter Ring Nuts - 11/12/15 03:44 PM

Just my luck, I get one of the miss fits, lol. Was the bolt that holds the shaker feet together the same bolts as used on the bubble. My feet are missing as well and trying to round these parts up also.

Thanks
Dan.
Posted By: DAYCLONA

Re: Shaker Adapter Ring Nuts - 11/12/15 04:43 PM

McMaster Carr has various assorted sizes of square nuts/weldnuts
Posted By: 70440+6bbl

Re: Shaker Adapter Ring Nuts - 11/12/15 05:03 PM

I had one like that too. I like how the bubble pops out a little bit higher :-)
Posted By: gtx6970

Re: Shaker Adapter Ring Nuts - 11/12/15 11:40 PM

1/4-20

http://www.mcmaster.com/#weld-nuts/=zs6ca9

no 10-24 avail anywhere that i know of
Posted By: DAYCLONA

Re: Shaker Adapter Ring Nuts - 11/13/15 08:40 PM

Originally Posted By gtx6970
1/4-20

http://www.mcmaster.com/#weld-nuts/=zs6ca9

no 10-24 avail anywhere that i know of

If SQUARE 10-24 nuts were needed, either fabricate them, or remove them from floating weldnut assys, or peel off the cage from cage nut assys depending on the height requirement of the nut? as the nuts vary in height depending on the assy type, standard SAE square 10-24 nuts are only .125 (1/8) in height

Attached picture nuts.JPG
Attached picture nuts2.JPG

Re: Shaker Adapter Ring Nuts - 11/14/15 02:13 AM

Ok, It looks like I need to order a box from mcmaster. Thanks for the replies!

Dan.
Posted By: cudino

Re: Shaker Adapter Ring Nuts - 11/16/15 02:37 AM

Quote:
Thanks
Dan.

I was told once by a close friend who worked at Fram, that an employee read the print wrong and welded them on the top.
The feet brackets which have the nut fused by same process were close by and use the larger diameter 1/4-20.
Today a plant would have YOUR nuts for doing that, but quality control in the 70's was not what it is today.
Because it was a peak period and demand was high to get these units completed and shipped to Hamtramck, they let 150 or so of these adapters escape.

Interesting, I didn't know that. I have two survivor 1970 Hemicudas, SPD 401 and 402, and they both have the 1/4-20 nuts version. I knew these were oddballs, but were on very original cars. I never paid attention as to which side of the baseplate these 1/4-20 nuts were welded, so I just now checked and sure enough they are welded on top! Neat stuff, thanks to all for the info.

- Wade
Posted By: HEMICUDA

Re: Shaker Adapter Ring Nuts - 11/16/15 08:57 AM

Originally Posted By cudino
Quote:
Thanks
Dan.

Interesting, I didn't know that. I have two survivor 1970 Hemicudas, SPD 401 and 402, and they both have the 1/4-20 nuts version. I knew these were oddballs, but were on very original cars. I never paid attention as to which side of the baseplate these 1/4-20 nuts were welded, so I just now checked and sure enough they are welded on top! Neat stuff, thanks to all for the info.

- Wade

Hey Wade, any chance we could get a picture of the bolt holding the bubble on?

Re: Shaker Adapter Ring Nuts - 11/16/15 05:11 PM

Wade, yes they may be considered oddball, but I think anyone with an adapter this way has a cool piece of history and a great conversation piece.
Plus as stated earlier, I like the way they raise the scoop that extra 1/4 inch.
I have an NOS one and it is a keeper.
Top picture shows 10-24 nut and you can see it is supposed to be projection welded on bottom.
Bottom picture shows foot bracket with 1/4-20 nut projection welded the same way.
I don't think I have a picture of the bolt Mike, but I'll check.

Attached picture treeb.jpg
Attached picture treec.jpg
Posted By: hemirag

Re: Shaker Adapter Ring Nuts - 11/16/15 05:15 PM

I have a 70 Cuda SPD 106 with the nuts welded on top and a 71 base plate with the nuts on the bottom. I always wondered why? Good to get this info.

Daryl
Posted By: cudino

Re: Shaker Adapter Ring Nuts - 11/16/15 07:02 PM

Thanks for posting the drawing Terry, very cool. FYI, the Bass Boat (1970 Hemicuda, SPD 203) also has this oddball style of baseplate, so I have 3 cars with this version. I agree that the slight raise in the bubble height is very cool, thanks!

Here's some pictures of the bolt Mike. It is 1" long from top to bottom, has a 7/16" head, and has a 5/8" captive washer. Both shaker bubbles have long-use indentations that exactly match this 5/8" diameter washer.

- Wade

Attached picture FM3 Shaker bolt 1.JPG
Attached picture FM3 Shaker bolt 2.JPG

Re: Shaker Adapter Ring Nuts - 11/16/15 08:13 PM

Wade...that is the correct anchor head bolt for the 1/4-20 nuts on the scoop and if you check the bolts that secure the shaker feet to the feet brackets on your Hemi baseplate, I'll think you'll find they are the same bolt.
I have however, seen the foot bolt with SEMS on the head on original cars.
Posted By: Morty426

Re: Shaker Adapter Ring Nuts - 11/16/15 08:24 PM

The Bass Boat! laugh2

Re: Shaker Adapter Ring Nuts - 11/17/15 03:37 AM

I went to do some measuring of mine tonight and realize mine has the smaller 10-24 machine screw thread. It does measure .500 square and between .156-.166 tall, just depends on which one you measure. I'm having no luck finding a piloted weld nut with this big of a square. Don't want to try and make them, it would be almost impossible to duplicate. I also took a picture of the bolts that were in my bubble, can anyone tell me if these are correct.

Thanks
Dan.

Re: Shaker Adapter Ring Nuts - 11/17/15 06:20 AM

In that case you need these 10-24 black phosphate bolts with captive washer and anchor on the head.
Check ebay as they pop up for sale all the time.

Attached picture shakerbolt1.jpg

Re: Shaker Adapter Ring Nuts - 11/18/15 02:55 AM

Thanks! Are these bolts still available from a suppler today?. Or do I need to look for good used ones.

Dan.

Re: Shaker Adapter Ring Nuts - 11/18/15 05:50 AM

Dan....pm sent
Posted By: C_B5

Re: Shaker Adapter Ring Nuts - 11/19/15 04:13 AM

Terry,

Guess I never realized how much interest there was in the adapter rings with the nuts incorrectly welded on the top.

In retrospect maybe I shouldn't have had you fix my NOS one that originally had the nuts welded on top all those years ago !
© 2024 Moparts Forums