Moparts

1970 green interior paint and dye

Posted By: EV2RTSE

1970 green interior paint and dye - 08/11/15 05:26 PM

For those who have restored cars with green interiors - what did you use to re-paint your dash frame, metal headliner moldings, steering column, etc?

My brother has a Challenger with the H6F8 interior, I know the color is known as 'Bayou Green Poly' code 43925 and 43926, but the local paint store said they can't do anything for us with these codes. Same with Lucite code 9788LH. Anyone know a source where I might be able to get something mixed up that would be a close match?

And how about dyeing plastic like consoles, dash trim, etc. The original console was faded so it needed redone - I ordered some of Herb's Parts interior paint #1198 Dark Green Metallic, which from their chart was supposed to be the right stuff for 1970, but it really didn't match the original green very well. It seemed too light, like a pea soup green instead of a dark green.

Is there anything out there from SEM that's close?

Posted By: DAYCLONA

Re: 1970 green interior paint and dye - 08/11/15 06:27 PM

Short of having a local SEM dealer make a custom mix/match, you might try SEM C-VP5084 Dark Midnight Green metallic
Posted By: Slotts

Re: 1970 green interior paint and dye - 08/11/15 07:43 PM

Originally Posted By EV2RTSE

Is there anything out there from SEM that's close?

Maybe I can help. About five years ago, I restored a 71 Cuda dash with that color interior. What I did was use the vendor Vinyl Pro back when Thad and Donna were running their business located in the suburbs of Pittsburgh.

For a color match, I used the back side of the driver’s kick panel that looked fresh and brand new. The front side had darkened over time. I took it over to Thad and he used the back side to do the scan while I was standing there. This is the color number he gave it: Sem Color Coat #0557 green.

Since then, they retired and sold the business. The good news is the current owner is now located in Georgia, should have access to Thad’s records for that formula mix and has the same web address: www.vinylpro.com

The new owner was cool enough to show their legacy in the About Us tab of the web site.

Hope this helps.

Jim

Posted By: EV2RTSE

Re: 1970 green interior paint and dye - 08/12/15 03:40 PM

Thanks guys! We will get some of each SEM color to try out and see which is a better match.

I also found that TCP Global, www.autocolorlibrary.com, will mix up the Bayou Green paint so we should be good to go! Looks to be about 50 bucks a quart, or 130 a gallon.

Posted By: pattyboy 572

Re: 1970 green interior paint and dye - 08/14/15 11:55 PM

automotivetouchup.com did F8 interior last year ..perfect match 1970 roadrunner
© 2024 Moparts Forums