Moparts

Anybody know how to get the warp out of this grille?

Posted By: RV2

Anybody know how to get the warp out of this grille? - 07/28/15 12:10 AM

My 72 road runner grille

Attached picture image.jpg
Attached picture image.jpg
Posted By: flypaper

Re: Anybody know how to get the warp out of this grille? - 07/28/15 12:50 AM

find a replacement..

Re: Anybody know how to get the warp out of this grille? - 07/28/15 02:13 AM

Yeah right away.
Posted By: Grizzly

Re: Anybody know how to get the warp out of this grille? - 07/28/15 02:26 AM

Originally Posted By RV2
Yeah right away.

laugh2 No doubt. beer

You may want to Google it, but I did hear on here quite awhile back, that you can put it in a bathtub full of hot water and it might come back to shape.
Posted By: Mr T2U

Re: Anybody know how to get the warp out of this grille? - 07/28/15 02:44 PM

you will need to heat it to straighten it out.
warm it up, place something straight over the bend and let it cool.
you need to heat the entire grill to get it to straighten out. so a heat gun probably won't work.
I work in a body shop so heating with a heat lamp would be easy.

you might try putting it in a oven to warm it up. set it at about 250* and see what happens.

maybe try a forced air heater to warm it.

for what 72 RR grills cost IF you can find one. it might be cheaper to buy a heat lamp to straighten it than buying a good grill.
Posted By: Ron_M

Re: Anybody know how to get the warp out of this grille? - 07/29/15 04:04 AM

As a bystander on the sidelines, would leaving it under a watchful eye in this hot July sun and then carefully clamping it to some kind of wooden jig and allowing it to cool in the shade be of any help? Or would that aid in making it brittle and fragile with the sun's UV rays?
Posted By: Stanton

Re: Anybody know how to get the warp out of this grille? - 07/29/15 05:10 AM

Heat from the sun at the earth's surface just ain't gonna do it !! Hot water - at boiling will only be about 212 degrees depending on your altitude - ain't gonna do it either. Got a big enough oven ... that may be your best bet.
Posted By: ScottSmith_Harms

Re: Anybody know how to get the warp out of this grille? - 07/29/15 02:34 PM

That ABS looks to have been through a heat cycle beyond it's melt point (such as in a fire), if that's the case it's junk. If it's warped from being contorted and held in place such as in an accident where metal moved it and held it in place for a long enough time for it to hold a set, then heat MIGHT give it a chance that warming it will allow the plastic "memory" to bring it back into place, then I agree, a carefully controlled heat cycle below the melt temp in an oven is your best chance but it's severe looking enough that I doubt it will work. .02
Posted By: PLUM BAD

Re: Anybody know how to get the warp out of this grille? - 11/01/15 07:15 AM

The grill is supposed to have 4 studs made in it that come out at an angle with a nut that cuts its own thread to hold it flat across the bumper. They are usually broke off.

To replace the studs, I have used machine screws with the heads ground to fit in the hollow raised squares across the bottom. I used a washer and nylock nut to hold it.

Posted By: feeeighteefee

Re: Anybody know how to get the warp out of this grille? - 11/02/15 04:38 AM

heat gun and a couple long pieces of 2 x3 's and some clamps and patience.heat to shape and then cool with compressed air.72 rr grilles are notorious for warping

Re: Anybody know how to get the warp out of this grille? - 11/02/15 05:43 AM

Thanks guys
Posted By: BigMoneyLewis

Re: Anybody know how to get the warp out of this grille? - 11/02/15 07:49 AM

Haaa, I KNEW it was going to be a '72 Road Runner grille before I clicked on this post. I had one warped alot worse than that . I never did get mine straight .

Greg
Posted By: jlatessa

Re: Anybody know how to get the warp out of this grille? - 11/02/15 02:49 PM

What I did on my 70 Charger grill that had a sag on one side was to epoxy a strip of Alum. 1/8 x 2" to the back side and clamp it straight.

After it dried it looked great! You may need something stronger for that length but it's worth a try....Joe
© 2024 Moparts Forums