Moparts

Dash Metal Black Color

Posted By: joewhite440

Dash Metal Black Color - 06/25/15 05:55 AM

What do you use when repainting Black Metal Dash Frame, Ash Tray, Glove Box etc? 1970 Dodge Challenger RT

Thank yopu
Posted By: Alaskan_TA

Re: Dash Metal Black Color - 06/25/15 06:04 AM

Black is the color.

The gloss finish is 'suede'.

1970 suede formulas at http://www.hamtramck-historical.com/paintChipCharts/1970PaintChipCharts-01.shtml - look at the interior pages.
Posted By: steve70

Re: Dash Metal Black Color - 06/25/15 12:21 PM

I think Mike Mancini still has the correct black paint available http://www.instrument-specialties.com/
Posted By: Stanton

Re: Dash Metal Black Color - 06/25/15 03:18 PM

I imagine someone who paints them regularly has got all the pressures, etc down pat and can duplicate the factory finish but it seems the results by do-it-yourselfers are inconsistent. Some guys are getting them powdercoated with good results but if that finish isn't satisfactory to you, redoing it can be a [censored]! Other guys are using Rustoleum "textured" stuff in spray bombs and are getting satisfactory results. I think you have to try a small piece and compare it to an original before you do the whole lot.
Posted By: FJR doc

Re: Dash Metal Black Color - 06/26/15 01:46 AM

Mile Mancini sells the correct finish paint. I have not used it because I don't have compressor or paint booth. I tried using Rustoleum black textured paint but I could never get an even, consistent finish I eventually had my dash, glove box door and ash tray powder coated with fine texture black suede. The color and texture is spot on. The consistency is perfect. I'm very happy and the cost was extremely reasonable for media blasting and coating.

Re: Dash Metal Black Color - 06/26/15 05:05 AM

Thanks for the help
Posted By: FC7cuda

Re: Dash Metal Black Color - 06/26/15 01:45 PM

Originally Posted By FJR doc
Mile Mancini sells the correct finish paint. I have not used it because I don't have compressor or paint booth. I tried using Rustoleum black textured paint but I could never get an even, consistent finish I eventually had my dash, glove box door and ash tray powder coated with fine texture black suede. The color and texture is spot on. The consistency is perfect. I'm very happy and the cost was extremely reasonable for media blasting and coating.

I did the same and agree it turned out great boogie . Included steering column too.

Tom
Posted By: JMCFAN

Re: Dash Metal Black Color - 06/26/15 03:04 PM

Originally Posted By FJR doc

I used the correct paint. Sprayed fine... dash and steering column looks perfect... it sprayed very nicely..

Re: Dash Metal Black Color - 06/27/15 11:33 PM

sounds like a plan
thank you all for help
Posted By: Stanton

Re: Dash Metal Black Color - 06/28/15 01:52 AM

So where is Mike Mancini ??
Posted By: FJR doc

Re: Dash Metal Black Color - 06/28/15 02:18 AM

Here you go.

http://www.instrument-specialties.com/products/
Posted By: GMP440

Re: Dash Metal Black Color - 06/28/15 06:54 PM

Two years ago my friend and I completed a 68 Roadrunner with
black interior.
We used Rustoleum satin black for the dash frame and metal plates. The Rustoleum gave a very accurate factory finish.
We mixed the Rustoleum paint reduced with acetone and applied with a spray gun. Very happy with the results.
Posted By: Chris2581

Re: Dash Metal Black Color - 06/28/15 07:00 PM

I have used Plasti-Kote black lacquer spray bomb with great results.
© 2024 Moparts Forums