Moparts

70 6 pack kickdown woes

Posted By: 70440SIXPK

70 6 pack kickdown woes - 06/10/15 08:04 PM

Hi guys!

So I finally have come to the point where my resto is almost done. I've worked real hard on it this last week and it's really paid off!

I went to go put the kickdown rod on the carb, and for some reason even with it adjusted all the way back it is very tight. When I pull back the throttle, it only gets half throttle when the kickdown arm is hooked up, when it's off everything works fluidly.

My car is an original 6 pack car, and from my knowledge, has never had a single 4 bbl on it. I don't see a reason why someone would have swapped the kickdown rod on it.

I was wondering if someone could post a couple pictures or provide measurements of an original bell crank to carb kickdown rod for me so I can compare it to the one that I have.

In the event that the rod is incorrect, does anyone know where I can obtain just that piece, every vendor that I see sells them as an entire kit.

Thanks!

Re: 70 6 pack kickdown woes - 06/10/15 10:15 PM

Here's a picture of what I currently have... As you can see the rod is maxed out.

Attached picture image.jpg
Posted By: 62maxwgn

Re: 70 6 pack kickdown woes - 06/10/15 10:23 PM

I "assume" the spring laying on the intake is not connected ??

Re: 70 6 pack kickdown woes - 06/10/15 11:03 PM

Yes sir, your assumptions are correct.
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: 70 6 pack kickdown woes - 06/10/15 11:53 PM

pull off the top rod , pull the bell crank forward and insert a drill bit , 3/16 i think , in the alignment hole , I assume that the top rod will not go back in but everything else adjusts to where it should be ? If this is the case then you are correct in thinking the top rod is wrong ... place a want ad . but I think you are going to end up buying a new set unless you get lucky , you can always sell that setup OR shorten the top rod .
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: 70 6 pack kickdown woes - 06/11/15 12:00 AM

I did a google search , your top rod is wrong , it's supposed to be straight , and shorter, than what you currently have .
Posted By: 72ls5fla

Re: 70 6 pack kickdown woes - 06/11/15 12:26 AM

here is a pic of my real 6pak car linkage...

Bill

Re: 70 6 pack kickdown woes - 06/11/15 01:28 AM

Yeah, I figured that something was askew ... Hopefully someone will be kind enough to take some measurements for me.. Looks like I'm going to have to cut this one and make it work. They don't sale pieces to the kit... Maybe I'll get lucky on the want ads, I can say that I have been pretty fortunate here with the want section...
Any other ideas on this issue will be greatly appreciated!
Posted By: tman

Re: 70 6 pack kickdown woes - 06/11/15 04:59 AM

Interesting vintage video on kickdown linkage adjustment. 3 part rod starts at about 12 minutes. Good info on this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FY9WTWayCC8
Posted By: His and Her 69's

Re: 70 6 pack kickdown woes - 06/11/15 05:12 AM

I would get a measurement of an original one and cut yours down and rethread it. That would be the easiest way to go.
I have done this a couple times with good results.
I have even straightened the upright rod and re bent it to match a known one for my application. It worked Great after it was re bent and I got full range out of it.
Just a couple thoughts for you.
David
Posted By: 72ls5fla

Re: 70 6 pack kickdown woes - 06/11/15 05:22 AM

I will try to get some time over the weekend to take the rod off and get you measurements
and better pictures...

Bill
Posted By: ScottSmith_Harms

Re: 70 6 pack kickdown woes - 06/11/15 05:45 AM

Coolest thing about that video? Awesome O.E. 1971 340 engine detail clues!

Attached picture 340 O.E. Details.jpg

Re: 70 6 pack kickdown woes - 06/11/15 07:30 PM

Thanks for all the input guys!

-Bill, if you could get those measurements to me I would be forever in debt to you! I plan on cutting, and bending the rod to appear to be original like David has done... So overall length, length to bend, length from bend, and thread length dimensions will be needed.

Tman- Awesome archive video! The funny thing about that video is I never knew that the kickdown lever on the grand needed to pulled all the way forward for proper adjustment. It was my understanding that the kickdown lever should just be "touching" the spring inside the trans? So in other words, the lever should be just at the point where you feel tension.

I have a buddy that has a max wedge car, and is pulling his hair out trying to figure out what's wrong with the mushy shifts on his trans. He has had the kickdown rod adjusted against the kickdown lever where you can feel tension. I wonder if this is his problem?
Posted By: lewtot184

Re: 70 6 pack kickdown woes - 06/11/15 08:16 PM

looks like a 4bbl rod.
Posted By: b54406barrel

Re: 70 6 pack kickdown woes - 06/12/15 01:12 AM

Memory is not that good and i can't go look but I thought the bell crank was curved forward, on the carb rod, side of the top bellcrank. Maybe.
Posted By: 62maxwgn

Re: 70 6 pack kickdown woes - 06/12/15 02:30 AM

Correct rod,no bends,not sure on length.

Attached picture six pack overhaul.jpg
Posted By: hemi71x

Re: 70 6 pack kickdown woes - 06/13/15 12:24 AM

Quote:

My car is an original 6 pack car, and from my knowledge, has never had a single 4 bbl on it. I don't see a reason why someone would have swapped the kickdown rod on it.

Well, somebody did swap that rod out, in the life of that car.
That's a 4bbl. rod in your picture.

I have a container full of Mopar kickdown linkages, and i have that rod, and other related 6bbl rods, NOS.

I probably have every one NOS, along with all the bellcranks, if i go through the full container.

If i have everything, i won't break up the "kit" but if i don't have all the pieces, i don't have any problem in selling individual parts and pieces.

I know what the repop stuff goes for, and NOS will naturally be more.
Jim V.
hemi71x

Attached picture Picture 031 (Small).jpg

Re: 70 6 pack kickdown woes - 06/13/15 11:07 PM

Once again, thanks for all the help everyone! I am fortunate that we have this great community that is always willing to help out. My project would have not been possible without you all!

I'm going to hold off on cutting the rod till next weekend, to see if anything pops up. Hopefully Jim has something for me. If have to modify this rod to make it work when someone somewhere needs the rod that I have for their project!

-Nathan
© 2024 Moparts Forums