Moparts

Steering Column Question: 69 Charger

Posted By: 69rrgrabber

Steering Column Question: 69 Charger - 06/03/15 06:34 PM

Hello, restoring the steering column out of a 69 Charger, Auto, console steering column. Hope the pic comes out so you can see what Im talking about, but the problem is in the top of the column casting which has the bearing and also contains the turn signal switch. Also known as the bearing housing. There are two bolts that have tapered square heads that insert from behind, and on top, nuts with 6 cuts across them. The problem is that the nuts wont run all the way up the bolts because of a non threaded shoulder. Cant remember what the bolts are suppose to attach to, only that they go thru the housing. Its a mystery.

Thanks for any help.
Posted By: mopar346

Re: Steering Column Question: 69 Charger - 06/04/15 12:56 AM

Don't they hook into the tube to pull it up tight. Not sure I can remember being in one from a B-body but several columns with bolts that retain the bowl entering from the back. I may have a pictoral break down on one, if I do I will post.

Good luck.
Posted By: His and Her 69's

Re: Steering Column Question: 69 Charger - 06/04/15 05:56 AM

They hold the 2 housing pieces together. They go in the back side of the lower housing and the nuts go in the upper housing under the blinker switch.
Hopefully these photos work.
David

Attached File
column housing.png  (234 downloads)

Re: Steering Column Question: 69 Charger - 06/04/15 05:57 AM

upper housing. Hopefully you can see the nut in the photo.
David

Attached File
column housing 2.png  (232 downloads)

Re: Steering Column Question: 69 Charger - 06/04/15 07:41 AM

Thank God for you guys! Ok I took the middle section out and see now how the square heads go into the square holes on the lower tube section. Haven't quite figured out how to put all 3 sections together, I'm held up by the middle section / housing, not sitting flush on the lower tube housing. Just below the middle housing is a wavy washer and below that a thin collar retainer with 4 raised teeth. The manual has a diagram which show them facing down towards the housing, but it just dosent fit. Think I'll call it a night and try fresh tomorrow.

Thanks,
Carl

Re: Steering Column Question: 69 Charger - 06/04/15 10:36 AM

The teeth on the ring face up towards the steering wheel and the wavy washer sits on top of the flat center area then the housings go on.
It is a pain in the back side to get the washer with the teeth to sit in flat on the tabs. It took me a little while to get it in place. This photo was as I was taking it apart. Mine is a column auto car.
David

Attached File
column ring.png  (222 downloads)

Re: Steering Column Question: 69 Charger - 06/04/15 10:40 AM

Here is a diagram for the column.
I hope you can read it ok.
David

Attached File
column diagram.png  (415 downloads)

Re: Steering Column Question: 69 Charger - 06/05/15 06:55 AM

David, got it all together, thanks again for the pics and help!
© 2024 Moparts Forums