Moparts

70 CHALLENGER TA

Posted By: Anonymous

70 CHALLENGER TA - 01/17/09 11:43 PM

I HAVE A 1970 CHALLENGER TA CAR I AM STARTING TO RESTORE. IN THE BOOKS I HAVE THEY STATE THE TA USED FENDERS WITH A DIFFERENT RADIUS THAN OTHER CHALLENGERS. WHERE DO I GO TO FIND OUT THE CORRECT RADIUS. ANY INFO SOURCE ON THE TA WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED. ROGER
Posted By: cdp

Re: 70 CHALLENGER TA - 01/18/09 12:43 AM

What they did is "rolled" the 1/2" or so edge up. The did this basically from the 10 to 2 position. My friends AAR is the exact same way and are NOS fenders.

At the factory, they used a hand held jig/gage that set in the wheel opening molding edge. There was an open part of the jig which was the marked area that they used a mallet/hammer to roll the edge over. Thus, allowing tire clearance.

Also known as the Hemi Fender.

Please don't use all capitals, it means your yelling.

Re: 70 CHALLENGER TA - 01/18/09 12:49 AM

WHAT MEASUREMENTS DO I MAKE TO DETERMINE IF I IN FACT HAVE ORIGINAL TA FENDERS?
Posted By: fastmark

Re: 70 CHALLENGER TA - 01/18/09 12:52 AM

I have some pics of an original hemi challenger with 15 " fenders on it. They should be the same. It has the braces cut out that are in the middle of the challenger fender. I have heard that is the difference as well. On the AAR. I have two cars both with original fenders. One has rolled fenders and one does not. One has a replacement fender that still has the part number visible and it has the rolled lip. I heard that the test cars may have had a little interference problems so they made the mods just in case. Mine have never rubbed on the car with out the rolled lips.

Re: 70 CHALLENGER TA - 01/18/09 01:00 AM

Sorry about the all caps. Don't mean to yell. it is just easier for my 75 year old eyes to read. My first time in the form, and i never had typing. will try to conform. thanks.
Posted By: 1_WILD_RT

Re: 70 CHALLENGER TA - 01/18/09 01:00 AM

ARE YOU AWARE CAPITAL LETTERS ARE LIKE YELLING AT THOSE READING THE POST & YELLING IS RUDE????

I'll quit yelling at you now...

Attached picture 4954893-capslock.gif

Re: 70 CHALLENGER TA - 01/18/09 01:04 AM

Like others have stated, the only difference is the fender lip is rolled near the top for about 6" someone wil have pictures....

Re: 70 CHALLENGER TA - 01/18/09 01:08 AM

fastmark, could you possible email me the pics. my email address is R35FORD@MSN.COM. sorry about the ford bit but i had a 35 coupe for 56 years before the boys in my family convinced me to switch. i now own 8 mopars.

Re: 70 CHALLENGER TA - 01/18/09 01:15 AM

point taken
Posted By: burdar

Re: 70 CHALLENGER TA - 01/18/09 01:28 AM

Quote:

Like others have stated, the only difference is the fender lip is rolled near the top for about 6" someone wil have pictures....

With the lip rolled, are you still able to use the wheel lip mouldings? I thought I had seen T/A's with the mouldings installed.
Posted By: Alaskan_TA

Re: 70 CHALLENGER TA - 01/18/09 01:52 AM

At one time, I had 6 Challenger fenders here;

The original set for my T/A.

1 NOS 1970 fender.

1 used 1970 fender from a 1970 /6 car.

2 original fenders from my 1971 318 Challenger.

The upper lips were identical on all of them.

As far as the fender well chrome goes, it was not available on the 1970 Challengers with a 340, (T/As & A66 cars). Lots of folks seam to like them enough to add them though.
Posted By: hemi_harvester

Re: 70 CHALLENGER TA - 01/18/09 02:43 AM

Quote:

ARE YOU AWARE CAPITAL LETTERS ARE LIKE YELLING AT THOSE READING THE POST & YELLING IS RUDE????

GET A LIFE....WHO CARES.....

Re: 70 CHALLENGER TA - 01/18/09 03:07 AM

Quote:

Quote:

As I was the second person to tell him so apparently more people than you realize...
Posted By: cdp

Re: 70 CHALLENGER TA - 01/18/09 03:37 AM

All right now, give the guy a break and lets welcome him to the forum. Tell us about your TA.
Posted By: Moparman440

Re: 70 CHALLENGER TA - 01/18/09 03:46 AM

Quote:

Tell us about your TA.

I would love to hear about it.

Re: 70 CHALLENGER TA - 01/18/09 04:50 AM

Not much to tell yet. I have had it decoded and planing on registering it. It has been media blasted and is back home ready to go on the rotisserie. It is about 80% complete. All major componets except hood body wise. motor tranny and rear end are there. Interior is rough. Have started buying replacements for the missing and unuseable parts. Will send the motor to the machine shop while I do the body. Hope my pockets are deep enough. One thing I learned is if you want to play you have to pay. Will probable have to sell off some of my other mopar. I want to thank all you that welcomed me and for the info that you provided. roger
Posted By: Snoopy

Re: 70 CHALLENGER TA - 01/18/09 08:19 AM

If you are using Internet Explorer, you can enlarge the text for better viewing.
Click on "View" at the top page and go to Text Size and select the text size that suits you.
Firefox probably has the same feature.

Not everyone is blessed with good eyesight.

Welcome to the board.

It looks like this doesn't work in Moparts, but it does on most websites.
Posted By: RestoRick

Re: 70 CHALLENGER TA - 01/18/09 03:04 PM

Another way to enlarge the text in either Internet Explorer or Firefox, is to hold down your ctrl (control) key and tap the "+" key.
Ctrl and "-" will reduce the size.
Saves me from pulling out the reading glasses
Posted By: sg333e

Re: 70 CHALLENGER TA - 01/18/09 03:09 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Umm anyone who tries to read a screen all day. Caps are much harder to see, never mind the rude connotation.
Posted By: Troy

Re: 70 CHALLENGER TA - 01/18/09 10:08 PM

If your doing a T/A you need to get a copy of Barry Washington CD. It is a very in depth look at a very low milage T/A. The info in this CD is PRICELESS!!

Attached picture 4956830-1970TA.jpg

Re: 70 CHALLENGER TA - 01/19/09 12:01 AM

Quote:

The info in this CD is PRICELESS!!

Actually......

it is $15.99 plus $2.00 for postage and a padded mailer.

Nothing like a shameless plug. Troy, you should be in sales. Oh, wait....

Edit;

Link to the for sale ad for the photos here on Moparts;

https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/show...e=0#Post4348097
Posted By: Troy

Re: 70 CHALLENGER TA - 01/19/09 03:44 PM

.....Every word I said is the truth!! (now where is my 10%!!)
Posted By: aar1

Re: 70 CHALLENGER TA - 01/20/09 12:50 PM

My AAR does not have "rolled" fenders. It does have w/o moldings and is coded for them on the buildsheet.
Posted By: KISSAlien

Re: 70 CHALLENGER TA - 01/20/09 06:01 PM

Wheel lip moldings were an available option for the AAR, but not the T/A.
Posted By: gomangoRTSE

Re: 70 CHALLENGER TA - 01/20/09 08:03 PM

Quote:

Another way to enlarge the text in either Internet Explorer or Firefox, is to hold down your ctrl (control) key and tap the "+" key.
Ctrl and "-" will reduce the size.
Saves me from pulling out the reading glasses

Hey thanks Rick, indeed thats a bit of useful info. Seriously!
Posted By: ECS

Re: 70 CHALLENGER TA - 01/21/09 02:36 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Just laugh and roll right along. I guess someone made a rule that all typed caps was considered YELLING so people decided that there really WAS some real harm done by expressing "typed" words in that manner. I certainly wasn't bothered or feel compelled to . If there is a opportunity to complain it will be taken, even if the gesture doesn't "really" bother those who come out in protest. It reminds me of this School that eliminated their extra curricular activities due to insufficient funding. The only students who skipped school and protested in front of the school building (during school hours) were the kids WHO DIDN'T EVEN PARTICIPATE IN THE AFTER SCHOOL PROGRAMS! True story!! Oh well.....sometimes we just need an excuse to "correct something" regardless of actual concern or bother. When there is a political crack in the armor, some just can't resist taking a swing or poke!
Posted By: mopars_1

Re: 70 CHALLENGER TA - 01/21/09 02:51 AM

t/a's never had wheel well trim?? I was thinking dads was orderd with it...

Re: 70 CHALLENGER TA - 01/21/09 04:14 AM

Wheel lip moldings were not offered on any 1970 340 Challenger, whether it was a T/A or Challenger 340.

They were standard on all other Challenger models.

Re: 70 CHALLENGER TA - 01/21/09 04:52 AM

Quote:

Wheel lip moldings were not offered on any 1970 340 Challenger, whether it was a T/A or Challenger 340.

They were standard on all other Challenger models.

ours has it on. lol must not be correct then. thanks barry
Posted By: Mastershake340

Re: 70 CHALLENGER TA - 01/21/09 05:26 PM

I think one of the T/A "pilot cars" (FC7 one) came with wheel well trim, if not both of the known ones. Maybe your dad had a "pilot car".
Or maybe he was like me with my T/A, and added it many years ago when you could buy new trim pieces for cheap at your local Dodge dealer, and thought it looked cool, and it was easy enough to drill a few holes and add the pieces to your car.

Re: 70 CHALLENGER TA - 01/21/09 05:29 PM

Quote:

I think one of the T/A "pilot cars" (FC7 one) came with wheel well trim, if not both of the known ones. Maybe your dad had a "pilot car".
Or maybe he was like me with my T/A, and added it many years ago when you could buy new trim pieces for cheap at your local Dodge dealer, and thought it looked cool, and it was easy enough to drill a few holes and add the pieces to your car.

lol, Im pretty sure it isn't.. but my dad did fly airplanes
Posted By: burdar

Re: 70 CHALLENGER TA - 01/21/09 05:36 PM

Just to be clear then...the fenders being roled on T/A's and Challengers with 15" wheels doesn't affect the way the wheel trim screws on right. My replacement fenders on my dad's car have the lip roled at the top. I just want to make sure I won't have problems installing the trim once I get the car back from paint.

Re: 70 CHALLENGER TA - 01/21/09 06:14 PM

there will not be a place to screw the molding to the fender lip in the area that is "rolled". Either it just bridges the gap or the molding needs to be trimmed to fit the gap. Or you don't put them on. I'm pretty sure someone posted pics in the past of a rolled fender with a molding on it....... looked like it was trimmed out with tin snips. Not very pretty.
Posted By: Mastershake340

Re: 70 CHALLENGER TA - 01/21/09 06:28 PM

Quote:

Just to be clear then...the fenders being roled on T/A's and Challengers with 15" wheels doesn't affect the way the wheel trim screws on right. My replacement fenders on my dad's car have the lip rolled at the top. I just want to make sure I won't have problems installing the trim once I get the car back from paint.

Back in '80 I took my T/A in to a body shop to have some rust repair, including telling them to replace the fenders with "15 inch" fenders as I had heard T/A's got them. They were only able to get the driver's side one new from Chrysler then. So that is what was on my car for several decades until its ground up and ongoing restoration was started. Anyhow, I added my wheel well trim soon after getting the car back back then and had no problems installing the trim on my 15" fender.
In the late 90's when I started researching and gathering parts for my restoration, I realized that my 15" fender installed in '80 was actually a '71 fender. I did a lot of looking into the "15" fender issue pertaining to T/A's including looking at a lot of T/A's that still had original fenders (and my passenger side which I believe is original, and was sandblasted and patched in '80 since a "15" I thought was correct wasn't available from ma Mopar then). I have never seen any fenders with lips rolled like that new '71 fender purchased years ago. In fact I never found any original T/A's with fenders that looked different than any other '70 Challenger, with the exception of the lack of antenna hole on the T/A passenger side fenders. So I ended up tracking down a couple rust free standard '70 Challenger fenders for my project and feel they are correct for my car.
A friend out west with a beautiful '70 hemi Challenger has told me his car doesn't have rolled lip front fenders either?!
I do have a crash part listing that actually has 3 pairs of numbers for '70 Challenger fenders, standard, hemi, and T/A. So the mystery continues.
My NOS takeoff drivers side 15" fender has been stashed away in my utility room for several years now if anyone is looking for one. Predrilled for the wheelwell trim even.
Posted By: aarcuda

Re: 70 CHALLENGER TA - 01/21/09 06:40 PM

my aar had its original fenders on it when i got it in 85. the wheel opening was NOT rolled on either fender

Re: 70 CHALLENGER TA - 01/22/09 12:35 AM

Okay............. I'm . People keep talking about "rolled" fenders and "15 inch" fenders. Are they the same thing? Can someone PROVE that an E-body with 15" wheels was supposed to come from the factory with these fenders? Isn't the radius of the wheel opening the same on every '70 cuda, and on every '70 Challenger? The only difference being this roll. Still

Re: 70 CHALLENGER TA - 01/22/09 12:42 AM

Quote:

Can someone PROVE that an E-body with 15" wheels was supposed to come from the factory with these fenders?

Evidently not.
© 2024 Moparts Forums