Moparts

Motor Installation From Underneath

Posted By: LYNCHROAD69.5

Motor Installation From Underneath - 01/17/09 05:02 AM

I'm getting close to stuffing this thing in from underneath and have never done this before. Put lower control arms and strut rods on and began to wonder how much of the front suspension can I install? I believe I have to leave the pivot shaft nuts and strut rod nuts (ones at the front) finger tight untill I can lower the car to "seat" the pivot shaft then tighten. Can I install lower ball joint, steering knuckles, front backing plates w/wheel cylinders, Idler arm, pitman arm and center link as well? My fear is that if I do that and install I won't be able to get upper ball joint into the top of the knuckle. Any advice would be much appreciated as I don't want to do this twice.

Attached picture 4953467-IMG_2001.JPG
Posted By: ebodyseast

Re: Motor Installation From Underneath - 01/17/09 05:46 AM

Looks outstanding Wayne. Wow!

I don't see any obvious reason why you can't install everything you mentioned - (finger tight wherever service manual suggests.)

Keep the upper control arms bolted in place yet 'loose' so that you can you use a floor jack (that is padded to protect them pretty gold arms of yours ) to raise/lower the lower arms as needed to help the knuckle meet the upper ball joints square in their holes. More advice would be to get more opinions here first as I've never gone from beneath yet either. Best of luck, you're gonna do just fine from the looks of it! Nick
Posted By: Publicbottle

Re: Motor Installation From Underneath - 01/17/09 07:29 AM

pardon my ignorance for i have never done this method before either, but why even have the front end installed and just do it after the "K" is bolted up?
Posted By: burdar

Re: Motor Installation From Underneath - 01/17/09 01:54 PM

Quote:

pardon my ignorance for i have never done this method before either, but why even have the front end installed and just do it after the "K" is bolted up?

You could install the suspension after the engine is installed but it's easier to get to everything before hand. That way you don't take the chance of messing up the paint on the body if you slip with a wrench.

The factory had most everything installed on on the k-member before it was installed in the car.
Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: Motor Installation From Underneath - 01/17/09 02:06 PM

Quote:

Quote:

You could install the suspension after the engine is installed but it's easier to get to everything before hand. That way you don't take the chance of messing up the paint on the body if you slip with a wrench.

The factory had most everything installed on on the k-member before it was installed in the car.

It's much easier to install the K without the lower arms hanging there and it is no trouble to install them after the K is in place. No risk in nicking the paint IMO. Done it a couple times.
Posted By: anlauto

Re: Motor Installation From Underneath - 01/17/09 02:57 PM

NO NO NO...I disagree with the above posters...

You're on the right track...You can bolt the entire spindal assembly to the lower control arms, brake and all. Then bolt the upper control arms to the car...

One major mistake that I've seen that you've made so far is the absence of the transmission cooling lines...

You can continue with all the wiring harnesses, transmission crossmember, heater hoses, upper rad hose, pos battery cable, etc... as well

Great job, keep up the great work, and I can assure you that you'll never put an engine in through the top EVER again.

I've been doing it that way for 15+ years with dozens of cars...you'll be amazed at how you can install your complete engine/trans/suspension/brakes in 20 minutes
Posted By: 5carguy

Re: Motor Installation From Underneath - 01/17/09 03:04 PM

I have installed engine/transmission assys. from the bottom many times, and I agree with what others are saying.The one thing you must do is install the steering gear on the K frame.Much easier now than after the installation. Good luck.
Bob

Re: Motor Installation From Underneath - 01/17/09 03:18 PM

Quote:

You're on the right track...You can bolt the entire spindal assembly to the lower control arms, brake and all. Then bolt the upper control arms to the car...

One major mistake that I've seen that you've made so far is the absence of the transmission cooling lines...

You can continue with all the wiring harnesses, transmission crossmember, heater hoses, upper rad hose, pos battery cable, etc... as well

Great job, keep up the great work, and I can assure you that you'll never put an engine in through the top EVER again.

I've been doing it that way for 15+ years with dozens of cars...you'll be amazed at how you can install your complete engine/trans/suspension/brakes in 20 minutes

Ok I'll buy what your saying. One thing I forgot was the throttle pressure linkage for the tranny. Like what Alan said, bolt everything to the motor ahead of time.
Posted By: ebodyseast

Re: Motor Installation From Underneath - 01/17/09 03:20 PM

Quote:

Does that include me too Alan! Lol.

Installing the steerng gear now may be alot easier as suggested, once the engine is in it'll be a tight squeeze...
Posted By: cdp

Re: Motor Installation From Underneath - 01/17/09 03:22 PM

we did a 4spd GTX and it went in smooooooth with almost everything bolted on. We had the LCA etc, all in with no problems. You definitely want the PS-box on before hand as well as the trans lines.

Attached picture 4953855-a12_paintmarkings498.jpg

Re: Motor Installation From Underneath - 01/17/09 03:24 PM

another

Attached picture 4953859-a12_paintmarkings504.jpg

Re: Motor Installation From Underneath - 01/17/09 03:26 PM

another 1

Attached picture 4953862-a12_paintmarkings505.jpg
Posted By: gtx6970

Re: Motor Installation From Underneath - 01/17/09 03:44 PM

Quote:

100%
As suggested - put the spindles, steering box and trans lines on as suggested and set the assy on padded stands , lift the body over it ( carefully ) and set it right down on it from above ( carefully and slowly)

When I did my cahllenger I had everything on the engine, heater hoses, a/c compressor,exhaust manifolds, fan and all pulleys, and engine wiring.
Piece of cake

Re: Motor Installation From Underneath - 01/17/09 04:05 PM

I think we test fit to see if everything cleared and took the passenger manifold off. It may be able to be done with it, but took the extra clearance for just in case. it was easy to reinstall the manifold after the fact.

Can't wait to see your A12 done. I hope to have my A12 done mid-late 09.

Was the MP Restoration Orange what you used on the motor? I'm leaning towards the "Tangerine" paint formula. I hav't really gotten a strait answer on what the most accurate and durable formula is.

Attached picture 4953923-DSCF1943.JPG

Re: Motor Installation From Underneath - 01/17/09 04:22 PM

Quote:

Does that include me too Alan! Lol.

Installing the steerng gear now may be alot easier as suggested, once the engine is in it'll be a tight squeeze...

No never Your points a very valid, I never noticed the absence of the steering box..THAT IS A MUST !

Re: Motor Installation From Underneath - 01/17/09 05:15 PM

Was the MP Restoration Orange what you used on the motor? I'm leaning towards the "Tangerine" paint formula. I hav't really gotten a strait answer on what the most accurate and durable formula is.

MP Hemi Restoration Orange is what I used...think I got the last few cans last summer. Thanks all for confirmation that I can pretty much attach everything. Steering box will be back from Steer & Gear on Tuesday and one of my new Transmission lines looks wrong (Jacks Auto Parts) oh well. Thats why they are currently missing.

Alan, my upper control arms are already in (loosly). Will I need to remove them to get the upper ball joint into the steering knuckle?

Re: Motor Installation From Underneath - 01/17/09 05:26 PM

Quote:

Alan, my upper control arms are already in (loosly). Will I need to remove them to get the upper ball joint into the steering knuckle?

No...Once the K frame and transmission crossmember is secure you can carefully raise the lower control arm/brake assembly to meet the upper ball joint....This is much easier if done BEFORE the torsion bars are installed.

Re: Motor Installation From Underneath - 01/18/09 04:51 AM

Alan, thanks for your posts
Posted By: moepwr

Re: Motor Installation From Underneath - 01/18/09 06:30 PM

I had the upper control arms and the spindles mounted when I did mine. Also my first time. I had the lower control arm in for the install. It does work very well. I just thought it was easier to have as much together as possible. After the motor and tranny install when you install the torsion bars remember to have some load(as little as possible) on the lower control arms. This allow for the maximum adjustment.

Good luck

There are pictures in my signature site under motor and install.
Posted By: Quikshft

Re: Motor Installation From Underneath - 01/20/09 08:35 PM

It works good.

Posted By: 4aThrill

Re: Motor Installation From Underneath - 01/22/09 03:38 AM

So has anyone had any problems on changing out the starter by putting the engine in this way?

Meaning; I know that not everyone has stock exhaust manifolds on their car. So with that being said people who do have aftermarket headers on and putting the engine in from under the car. Has anyone ran into any problems in replacing the starter other than removing sparkplugs, header bolts, steering linkage, jacking/loosing up the engine, and moving the header around for enough space for the starter to drop out.

Re: Motor Installation From Underneath - 01/22/09 01:01 PM

I had an MP one when installing the 340 in my dart. No issues.
Posted By: 4aThrill

Re: Motor Installation From Underneath - 01/23/09 12:17 AM

thankx for the info
Posted By: convx4

Re: Motor Installation From Underneath - 01/31/09 01:52 AM

I did my slant six 70 swinger from underneath. Worked great.

Attached picture 4987206-x-masday029(Small).jpg
Posted By: burdar

Re: Motor Installation From Underneath - 01/31/09 02:14 AM

I see that people are using cherry pickers to lift the front end up. I was planning on taking the car to a shop just to use there hoist. That way I could come straight down with the body instead of at an angle. Apparently this isn't an issue then?

Re: Motor Installation From Underneath - 01/31/09 12:50 PM

Quote:

I see that people are using cherry pickers to lift the front end up. I was planning on taking the car to a shop just to use there hoist. That way I could come straight down with the body instead of at an angle. Apparently this isn't an issue then?

Engine crane works great.

Posted By: Fishmarket

Re: Motor Installation From Underneath - 02/01/09 01:52 PM

I've done this, but one thing I would suggest is to have the engine/trans on something with castors. Much easier to wiggle it in to the proper location than using stands. I had the lower control arms mounted with ball joints and had no issues there either.
Good luck!
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Motor Installation From Underneath - 02/01/09 10:01 PM

Quote:

I have a 4 post lift and a cherry picker and used both of them th install the Hemi in my 66 Coronet.

Unfortunately, the lip for the drip pans on the lift wheel runners were too wide to allow the engine to fit between them. I took my die grinder and "relieved" those area of the drip pan flanges of their excess metal so it would fit. If I had nor been in the middle of thin install I would have just used the cherry picker and floor jacks.
Posted By: 426runner

Re: Motor Installation From Underneath - 02/03/09 01:54 PM

Engine Installation Video
Posted By: Troy

Re: Motor Installation From Underneath - 02/03/09 04:00 PM

These things were real complete when they installed them.....

Attached picture 4997466-66CORONETASSEMBLY.jpg
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: Motor Installation From Underneath - 02/03/09 04:50 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

It's much easier to install the K without the lower arms hanging there and it is no trouble to install them after the K is in place. No risk in nicking the paint IMO. Done it a couple times.

Exactly , I don't know anyone that drops the K frame and motor assembly to do front end work ...
Posted By: 1fastrunner

Re: Motor Installation From Underneath - 02/04/09 12:07 AM

Wow, that was fast! I sure could use some help dropping mine out. This will be my first time, I saw 3 guys with an audience of at least two.
Jim
Posted By: JRepucci

Re: Motor Installation From Underneath - 02/04/09 04:57 AM

The more parts on the better.... remember to torque everything to spec.

Attached picture 4999568-aaahemicar.jpg
© 2024 Moparts Forums