Moparts

Reproduction Battery I.D

Posted By: hemi_rtdave

Reproduction Battery I.D - 05/09/15 03:22 AM

Please forgive me!!

Its been ages since I bought my red cap battery. How can I tell if its a maintenance free or not?

Dave
Posted By: screamindriver

Re: Reproduction Battery I.D - 05/09/15 03:54 AM

The maintenance free battery has non-removable caps{as in glued on}..
Posted By: Furyman

Re: Reproduction Battery I.D - 05/09/15 06:15 AM

they are date coded on the top of the post as well.
Posted By: hemi_rtdave

Re: Reproduction Battery I.D - 05/09/15 06:49 AM

My red caps are removable! But looking inside it appears to be some sort of "other" container ? How much would this thing weigh when properly filled?
Posted By: 71birdJ68

Re: Reproduction Battery I.D - 05/09/15 04:21 PM

I think all of the reproduction batteries are maintenance free, and only one brand has screw off caps, and even then that is just for looks, so a judge can unscrew them.
Posted By: vette1986

Re: Reproduction Battery I.D - 05/09/15 06:46 PM

Yes they are all gel and you do not need to add any water to them ever. Trust me I did!!
Posted By: DAYCLONA

Re: Reproduction Battery I.D - 05/09/15 07:46 PM

Originally Posted By 71birdJ68
I think all of the reproduction batteries are maintenance free, and only one brand has screw off caps, and even then that is just for looks, so a judge can unscrew them.

I had a few of the early repros red cap Mopar batteries from IIRC NewCastle Battery, they were shipped "dry", you had to add acid, and slow charge for 24 hrs before use...they always ended up dieing a quick death or leaking/venting making a mess...I'd get a newer gel cell repro, but if the OP insists on using what he has, just open the caps, if you see lead cell plates, then you'll need to fill with battery acid

Mike
Posted By: mccannix

Re: Reproduction Battery I.D - 05/09/15 11:15 PM

So while we are on the subject, I know there was a post recently about the Group 27 batteries drying up ( no pun intended ).
Is there still a source for them.
I know Fred Gilmore used to carry them..I got one 7 years ago or so from him and its still alive.
I haven't talked to Fred in some time but I have a friend who needs one.
Is Fred still the go to guy ?
thanks in advance.

Re: Reproduction Battery I.D - 05/10/15 04:21 AM

Originally Posted By mccannix
So while we are on the subject, I know there was a post recently about the Group 27 batteries drying up ( no pun intended ).
Is there still a source for them.
I know Fred Gilmore used to carry them..I got one 7 years ago or so from him and its still alive.
I haven't talked to Fred in some time but I have a friend who needs one.
Is Fred still the go to guy ?
thanks in advance.

Terry, AFAIK Fred Gilmore has no more batteries, unless he's signed on to another vendor?, Summit Racing no longer carries the line, Mancini Racing has some, the only other source for a quality battery is...

Attached picture restobattery.JPG
Posted By: mccannix

Re: Reproduction Battery I.D - 05/10/15 05:03 AM

Thanks for taking the time to find that Mike.
I'll definately get a hold of them
Posted By: 62maxwgn

Re: Reproduction Battery I.D - 05/10/15 05:26 AM

Originally Posted By DAYCLONA

I had a few of the early repros red cap Mopar batteries from IIRC NewCastle Battery, they were shipped "dry", you had to add acid, and slow charge for 24 hrs before use...they always ended up dieing a quick death or leaking/venting making a mess...I'd get a newer gel cell repro, but if the OP insists on using what he has, just open the caps, if you see lead cell plates, then you'll need to fill with battery acid

Mike

Mike,I must have been lucky,first wet New Castle Group 27 was put in my bird when I finished it in 1992,lasted 12 yrs,the second sealed one is still in the car,picture from 94 ! shruggy

Attached picture Picture 218.jpg

Re: Reproduction Battery I.D - 05/10/15 04:25 PM

Originally Posted By 62maxwgn
Originally Posted By DAYCLONA

Mike

Mike,I must have been lucky,first wet New Castle Group 27 was put in my bird when I finished it in 1992,lasted 12 yrs,the second sealed one is still in the car,picture from 94 ! shruggy

EDIT: I see Fred Gilmore posted a few posts today saying that TurboStart may partner with Remy Battery to continue the production? there are other AGM repro battery sources in the meantime

Mike
Posted By: 6PKRTSE

Re: Reproduction Battery I.D - 05/12/15 09:48 PM

I cut mine apart once it died & added a Odyssey light weight racing battery inside. Not a race car, but it did go from like 54 lbs down to 18 lbs. It has more cranking amps & turns over much faster now than the re-pop Mopar red top batteries do.

Attached picture Odyssey inside of stock battery.jpg
Posted By: 6PKRTSE

Re: Reproduction Battery I.D - 05/12/15 09:50 PM

From the top in my car.

Attached picture 100_1698 [640x480-2].jpg
© 2024 Moparts Forums