Moparts

Which powersteering pump on a 69 RT Charger?

Posted By: mopar346

Which powersteering pump on a 69 RT Charger? - 05/04/15 02:38 AM

Saginaw or Federal?

It's an A/C car if it matters. St. Louis built 927 SPD, auto, B5. grin
Posted By: 469runner

Re: Which powersteering pump on a 69 RT Charger? - 05/04/15 04:27 AM

Mine has a TRW.
Posted By: challengersteve

Re: Which powersteering pump on a 69 RT Charger? - 05/04/15 04:36 AM

Hello, as far as I know it should be a Saginaw as the TRW-Thompson pumps were 68 and back. The federal pump was used on the big block C Bodies and the 426 Hemi cars but not the 440 B Bodies.

Re: Which powersteering pump on a 69 RT Charger? - 05/04/15 04:37 AM

Any pictures? What does the TRW look like the Federal with different mounting? Or is that just another style of Federal?
Posted By: ratroaster

Re: Which powersteering pump on a 69 RT Charger? - 05/05/15 04:03 PM

Posted By: PocketThunder

Re: Which powersteering pump on a 69 RT Charger? - 05/05/15 06:41 PM

Where can I get one of these pumps? Where is the best place? Parts store like napa, etc? I have a core for exchange.

Paul
Posted By: 5carguy

Re: Which powersteering pump on a 69 RT Charger? - 05/05/15 11:07 PM

The last one I bought was from NAPA.The pump is the same but the tank is different.Just clean up your origional and swap them. wrench

Re: Which powersteering pump on a 69 RT Charger? - 05/06/15 03:21 AM

It appears from the picture that the pumps are different, look at the bolt that retains the reservoir, it's in a different location.

So it there a general rule? TRW 68 and back? 69-? B-bodies except Hemis Federal? C-bodies saginaw?

I pretty sure the one on my AAR is a Federal as did a 70 Dart I pulled a spare off of. Best I can tell a 68 SB Coronet I have has a TRW on it.

The above picture show the same mounts for the bracket but the ones I have that I think are TRWs have a different mount. The first picture I attached is I believe a TRW, the second is what I believe is a Federal.

Thanks for the input folks.

Attached picture 6094711-3401.jpg
Attached picture Badalson AAR.jpg

Re: Which powersteering pump on a 69 RT Charger? - 05/06/15 05:29 AM

Quote:
It appears from the picture that the pumps are different, look at the bolt that retains the reservoir, it's in a different location.

So it there a general rule? TRW 68 and back? 69-? B-bodies except Hemis Federal? C-bodies saginaw?

I pretty sure the one on my AAR is a Federal as did a 70 Dart I pulled a spare off of. Best I can tell a 68 SB Coronet I have has a TRW on it.

The above picture show the same mounts for the bracket but the ones I have that I think are TRWs have a different mount. The first picture I attached is I believe a TRW, the second is what I believe is a Federal.

The first pic in your post is a Saginaw pump(oval fill top). The second pic you posted appears to be a TRW pump with a Federal cap on it. The TRW caps and federal caps will interchange. Normally the federal caps had "ears" and the TRW's were round. The TRW and federal pumps are real similar if you don't know what to look for. The easiest way to tell is the difference in the reservoir's as I posted earlier.

Most TRW's pumps were '68 and earlier so after '68 the majority got Saginaw and Federal. If you don't know your cars history, take your pick.

Re: Which powersteering pump on a 69 RT Charger? - 05/06/15 05:37 AM

Quote:

mopar346- the TRW and federal pumps are totally different. They are just real close to each other and easier to identify by the reservoir's. The reservoirs will not interchange.

Re: Which powersteering pump on a 69 RT Charger? - 05/06/15 02:33 PM

Thank you for the info, I'll try to sort it all out. More reference pictures and studying I guess.
Posted By: hemi68charger

Re: Which powersteering pump on a 69 RT Charger? - 05/07/15 03:49 PM

On a '69 Charger R/T equipped with a 440, the pump should be a Saginaw as pictured ( the cooler was with cars equipped with a 3.55/3.54 to 4.10. The 3.23 cars didn't. Now, if the R/T was equipped with a 426 HEMI, it would have the Federal pump...

Attached picture Saginaw_pump.JPG

Re: Which powersteering pump on a 69 RT Charger? - 05/08/15 01:55 AM

Thank you, any pictures of the backside backet?
Posted By: jose jones

Re: Which powersteering pump on a 69 RT Charger? - 05/12/15 05:47 PM

The one with the round neck is generally found on 68 models the oval neck on 69 models the hoses are also didderent
Posted By: tx9cuda

Re: Which powersteering pump on a 69 RT Charger? - 05/13/15 06:32 PM

Originally Posted By mopar346

Attached picture pump.jpg
Posted By: Dixie

Re: Which powersteering pump on a 69 RT Charger? - 05/14/15 01:51 AM

Originally Posted By hemi68charger
On a '69 Charger R/T equipped with a 440, the pump should be a Saginaw as pictured ( the cooler was with cars equipped with a 3.55/3.54 to 4.10. The 3.23 cars didn't. Now, if the R/T was equipped with a 426 HEMI, it would have the Federal pump...

iagree

Re: Which powersteering pump on a 69 RT Charger? - 05/14/15 04:29 AM

Quote:

I've seen a couple survivor '69 440's with Federal pumps. I got some pictures somewhere. No way to know if no history of the car. I agree that most were the Saginaw.

Re: Which powersteering pump on a 69 RT Charger? - 05/26/15 03:40 AM

Originally Posted By tx9cuda
Originally Posted By mopar346

Thanks Bryan, I guess I can use your's as a reference when I get ready to change it. Remind me to take plenty of pictures next time I'm near the car. I'm running the later saginaw pump on it right now, a carry over from the 77 engine I dropped in it.
© 2024 Moparts Forums