Moparts

71 Demon interior

Posted By: scatpacktom

71 Demon interior - 03/22/15 05:51 AM

So when I bought my black Demon last summer I wasn't sure what was going on with the door frame paint. It wasn't gloss black like I would expect it to be. It looked like it was "rattle canned". I figured that the passenger door was replaced and they had to make the inside look uniform as it was blue. I then did some poking around on here and learned that the door frame paint could be painted TX8. Then I scrutinized the drivers door, it is gloss outside of the seal and not gloss inside of the seal all the way around. Who is going to rattle can below the door panel all the way to the seal? Who is going to take out the rear seat bottom and spray that little rectangle area just above the aluminum plate that holds the carpet down?

Ok, so this car came with TX8 door frame paint... but what color is TX8 actually? I pulled the rear door panels and the plastic is still sealed to the inside of the quarter with strip caulk. The very top overlaps the rear sail panel and when you look at the places where the strip caulk was not applied it is clearly textured black paint. Makes perfect sense now... the same suede finish that is on the dash is also applied to the doors. Maybe some of you folks already knew that?

Now for my next question, what dictated whether you got TX8 or Tx9? I thought I read somewhere on here that black with orange interior and white stripes was a Dodge suggested combo? Maybe the TX8 goes with it? Can't be that, I know of another that is gloss black inside. Maybe it is as simple as a little box you check off when you order the car? Does it have to do with some other option? Hood black out?

Any ideas?
Posted By: 6bblgt

Re: 71 Demon interior - 03/22/15 06:00 AM

the Dusters have "5X8" Upper Door Frames on cars with V21/V24 hood black out

maybe it's something similar on Demons, but TX8?

Re: 71 Demon interior - 03/22/15 06:26 AM

Yes 5X8 TX8 = Charcoal
Posted By: ademon

Re: 71 Demon interior - 03/22/15 07:08 AM

My demon is 5x8, it is a j54 hood, hood black out car. I've noticed non blackout non j54 seem to mostly be gloss black.

Attached picture 8467357-image.jpg

Re: 71 Demon interior - 03/22/15 03:55 PM

Do you know of any 5X8 cars that are NOT blacked out?
Posted By: mopargem

Re: 71 Demon interior - 03/22/15 04:25 PM

With my V24 Duster it appeared to be factory organisol upper interior frames front and rear.

Attached picture 8467502-dusterpanel2(Small).jpg
Posted By: mopargem

Re: 71 Demon interior - 03/22/15 04:29 PM

close up metallic like organisol

Attached picture 8467505-dusterpanel(Small).jpg
Posted By: RJS

Re: 71 Demon interior - 03/22/15 04:31 PM

Tom if your car has the hood Black-out it should also have 5X8 on the tag for upper door paint.
Ron

Re: 71 Demon interior - 03/22/15 04:32 PM

All the unrestored J54 demons I have seen had the 5x8 upper doors along with blacked out hoods. There is a unrestored black J54 demon a couple towns over with the 5x8 charcoal uppers also.

Re: 71 Demon interior - 03/22/15 04:43 PM

I've had my 71 demon 24 years, so in those years what I have found looking at original demons for the most part is most J54 blacked out hood cars have the 5x8 charcoal uppers. I've seen a few J54 cars that didn't have the blackout hood, maybe the hood paint was deleted when ordered new or they were blanket dealer ordered stock that had gloss black upper door paint. And finally all the 318, /6 cars had gloss black uppers with the exception of the sizzlers. Don't know if this is 100% correct but this is what I have observed.
Posted By: ScottSmith_Harms

Re: 71 Demon interior - 03/22/15 04:43 PM

This one didn't

Attached picture 8467527-DemonFenderTagGY3.jpg

Re: 71 Demon interior - 03/22/15 06:45 PM

My car has the J54 hood and the charcoal door frames. Does that mean it should have the hood blackout?

Is it possible to have a Charcoal interior for some other reason other than J54/blackout?

Re: 71 Demon interior - 03/22/15 06:54 PM

I would say 99% yes especially if the scoop trim is not chrome. J54 hood cars without hood blackout usually from what I have seen had chrome scoop bezels and gloss upper doors. Nothing is 100% case in point some blackouts had the thin border and some had no boarder.

Re: 71 Demon interior - 03/22/15 06:58 PM

The tag above is a car that had the hood blackout and scoops, and it has TX9 gloss black upper doors.

In related notes; I have yet to see any original paint example of a 71 Demon optioned with a J54 hood that came from the factory without hood blackout, nor can I find any documentation that shows one or the other (scoops/blackout) was available separately or a way to delete one or the other separately etc. Also, to the chrome scoop trim, I have seen a lot of Demons wearing them but so far, every example I've seen were added or replaced with Dart scoops. Every original Demon hood I've seen with it's original scoops, paint, etc. had black bezels. That said, there have been a few old back in the day pics surface showing no blackout, scoops, and chrome bezels on cars that appeared original, but there was no solid evidence that they were 100% original.

I can't think of any specific reason, other than the hood paint, that the Charcoal upper door frames would have been added, like with some other option package. It could have been a plant to plant thing or maybe a production change during the production model year? Looks like more needs to be done.

Re: 71 Demon interior - 03/23/15 05:09 AM

Thanks for the reply's fella's

I guess I'm going to look at the hood and cowl for evidence of the black out. Maybe I'll get lucky and find something under the windshield squirters that were not removed when the car got repainted. I think some gritty black paint is in this devils future.
Posted By: Alaskan_TA

Re: 71 Demon interior - 03/23/15 05:16 AM

1971 cars are out of my normal line of research, that said;

The 1971 340 Demons I found examples of with a quick search;

TX9 - 4

58X - 5

What is the SPD of the car?

Is it coded for J54?

Re: 71 Demon interior - 03/23/15 05:35 AM

Barry,

My car has no tag and I found pieces of the sheet in the rear seat but the mice got 98% of it.

I do have 10/70 on the door decal and the hood that is on the car appears to be the original. All the holes for the scoops are factory as well as the hardware that holds the scoops on.

At the moment this is all I can go on. It's of no real consequence...Would you believe I'm going to beat the tar out of it?

Re: 71 Demon interior - 03/23/15 05:37 AM

Tom, Hamtramck car?

Re: 71 Demon interior - 03/23/15 06:04 AM

Yes it is Scott

LM29H1B155358 If anybody has the tag in the top drawer of their tool box

Re: 71 Demon interior - 03/23/15 06:07 AM

Hmmm, weird, the yellow car above, same plant, same month, J54 with gloss painted UDF's.

Re: 71 Demon interior - 03/23/15 06:25 AM

Strange... Same month, I didn't catch that till you mentioned it.

Re: 71 Demon interior - 03/23/15 06:39 AM

Quote:

Thanks for the reply's fella's

I guess I'm going to look at the hood and cowl for evidence of the black out. Maybe I'll get lucky and find something under the windshield squirters that were not removed when the car got repainted. I think some gritty black paint is in this devils future.

I think for the most part your proof is on the upper doors. But anyway black the hood out they look better IMHO blacked out! I'm going to do a amature correct blackout on mine in the next few weeks using SEM trim black.
Posted By: Alaskan_TA

Re: 71 Demon interior - 03/23/15 06:46 AM

I looked a little bit more. Something else may have triggered the difference between TX9 & 5X8.
Posted By: 6bblgt

Re: 71 Demon interior - 03/23/15 07:10 AM

I don't have a bunch of '71 340 DEMON info but:
2 - J54 cars with TX9 UDFs in August '70 (no other J54 & TX9 cars).
1 - J54 car with 5X8 UDF in December '70 (earliest 5X8 car).

Maybe the plant had issues with fastback a-bodies w/different process with hood paint/UDF paint Dodge VS. Plymouth, and simplified it ..... paint the hood = paint the door frames.

Re: 71 Demon interior - 03/23/15 01:39 PM

Quote:

I looked a little bit more. Something else may have triggered the difference between TX9 & 5X8.

What could it have been Barry?

Re: 71 Demon interior - 03/24/15 02:25 AM

I am lucky that when the car was painted they were to lazy to remove the squirters. Mystery is over, picture is worth a thousand words.

Re: 71 Demon interior - 03/24/15 03:17 AM

Posted By: Choppintime

Re: 71 Demon interior - 03/24/15 03:43 AM

Here's mine :

Attached picture 8469352-image.jpg

Re: 71 Demon interior - 03/24/15 04:35 AM

Tom, seems our two cars were very close to each other.

Re: 71 Demon interior - 03/24/15 02:01 PM

Yeah Chris, Your car has a SPD of 924 yet it is roughly 120 vin numbers later than mine and mine has 10-70 on the door decal. Maybe your car was held up a while? I figured my car had to be built at the end of October being black and orange. Maybe it was closer to the beginning of the month. Any more pics of that bad boy?

Barry

Re: 71 Demon interior - 03/25/15 02:51 PM

I was after that Black/Orange car of yours. I had asked Mike about it, love that color combo. Glad somebody got it.

Was looking for a 340/4speed Demon and took a chance on this FC7 one. Numbers car, no real rust other than a few small spots on lower quarters. Hood was mess so I had to get a J54 hood and they cut the very center of the trunk pan out for some reason. Trunk wasn't rusty at all just had a square cut into. Replaced it and the car currently sits as a roller. Haven't had much time to mess with it. I am finishing up a garage in my rear yard so it will get moved there and I'll have a lot more room to get back to work on it.

Attached picture 8470518-demon1.JPG

Re: 71 Demon interior - 03/25/15 02:52 PM

Another

Attached picture 8470521-demon2.jpg

Re: 71 Demon interior - 03/25/15 02:55 PM

last one, bad pictures....sorry

Attached picture 8470523-demon4.jpg

Re: 71 Demon interior - 03/25/15 02:59 PM

last one

Attached picture 8470525-demon5.jpg

Re: 71 Demon interior - 03/25/15 03:06 PM

Didn't put the top back on it. Pained me to take the original top off it was in good shape. I just didn't think the black top would look great with the white side and rear stripes. Easy enough to put it back on if need be.

Re: 71 Demon interior - 03/25/15 03:26 PM

That purple car is looking good!

Re: 71 Demon interior - 03/26/15 02:07 PM

Chris, That purple car is going to be awesome when its done. I'm sure sometime, somewhere these two Demons will be in the same place.

Just so you know it wasn't easy to get the black car. The talks started in Dec and it finally went down in July. He said he wanted to sell, it was all the owner dragging his feet. I knew if I quivered there would be another guy.

And I still remembered the PM you sent a LONG time ago.

Re: 71 Demon interior - 03/26/15 04:48 PM

Yeah, I had spoken to him a couple times. Like I said, glad someone got it. It was sitting outside for a while, albeit undercover....but still outside.

Mine will take some time, I have the rear done and installed. Have most of the front suspension, K frame all detailed. Just need time, space and motivation to get working on it again.

I had asked quite a few times on this board and forabodies about the 5x8 paint. Nobody really had a paint code for it. I'm assuming its the same as the dash frame paint.

Attached picture 8471674-rear2.jpg

Re: 71 Demon interior - 03/26/15 04:50 PM

I have no reason to believe any of this car was taken apart. Original 3.91 rear car. The third member is a 741 casting. Could this be correct?

Attached picture 8471675-rear5.jpg

Re: 71 Demon interior - 03/26/15 04:52 PM

It absolutely could have a 741 in it. My 70 does

Re: 71 Demon interior - 03/26/15 05:09 PM

Good to know

Getting back to the 5X8, I'll get some pictures of my front and rear door areas. Are you redoing yours?

Re: 71 Demon interior - 03/26/15 05:11 PM

Quote:

The third member is a 741 casting. Could this be correct?

Absolutely yes

Re: 71 Demon interior - 03/26/15 07:20 PM

I've had this option sheet. Looking at it again, it shows the J54 option and says includes V21.

So, should all J54 optioned Demons have had the hood performance treatment?

Attached picture 8471776-demoninfo1.jpg

Re: 71 Demon interior - 03/26/15 07:21 PM

That picture is very blurry. Here is a link

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/vbpicgallery.php?do=big&p=16610#photo

Re: 71 Demon interior - 03/26/15 07:56 PM

Quote:

So, should all J54 optioned Demons have had the hood performance treatment?

All evidence I've seen to date says yes.

Re: 71 Demon interior - 03/26/15 09:39 PM

So, my 71 should have black hood stripes? Would they have matched the performance hood stripes with the side stripes? My Demon is coded for side and rear stripe in white.

I've seen Demons with white hood stripes but thought that must be aftermarket, not really sure if the factory did white hood treatments back in the day.

Re: 71 Demon interior - 03/26/15 10:51 PM

Black is factory, there was no other colors available

Maybe RJS will post pics of his Demon? That was a bad MoFo! I saw it at Etown and couldn't keep my eyes off of it

Re: 71 Demon interior - 03/27/15 01:16 AM

Quote:

So, my 71 should have black hood stripes? Would they have matched the performance hood stripes with the side stripes? My Demon is coded for side and rear stripe in white.

I've seen Demons with white hood stripes but thought that must be aftermarket, not really sure if the factory did white hood treatments back in the day.

Most likely yes, but I'm wondering when sitting down at the salesman's desk back in the day if it could have been deleted say for guys not wanting it due to living in areas like the southwest??

Re: 71 Demon interior - 03/27/15 02:04 AM

Quote:

Black is factory, there was no other colors available

Maybe RJS will post pics of his Demon? That was a bad MoFo! I saw it at Etown and couldn't keep my eyes off of it

Hey Tom. It's not mine anymore since I sold it back to the guy I had bought it from. I needed the dough for the Satellite I bought.
Ron

Attached picture 8472098-IMG_0102(Large).JPG

Re: 71 Demon interior - 03/27/15 02:05 AM

I wish I could have kept it, I really loved everything about it and it was far from perfect but a real nice driver type ride. In fact this car is coded for 5X8 but the door frames were probably redone since they were gloss.
Ron

Attached picture 8472100-IMG_0104(Large).JPG

Re: 71 Demon interior - 03/27/15 02:52 AM

Nice car! I'm hoping my car looks good with white stripes.

Re: 71 Demon interior - 03/27/15 02:58 AM

Quote:

Nice car! I'm hoping my car looks good with white stripes.

We spoke about my car and your car a few times last year.

Your car will look like this just a little smaller!
Ron

Attached picture 8472124-IMG_2716(Large).JPG

Re: 71 Demon interior - 03/27/15 02:14 PM

Black and purple really go good together. The black wheels really tie it all in. I remember not liking the the plum crazy wheels as much. Shame it had to get away.

It's better to have loved and lost, than to never have loved at all.
© 2024 Moparts Forums