Moparts

Lower control arm coating?

Posted By: hotairballoonpilot

Lower control arm coating? - 03/05/15 01:04 AM

Did all the B bodies get the gold coating on the lower control arms or was it factory specific?

Corey
Posted By: JMCFAN

Re: Lower control arm coating? - 03/05/15 02:06 AM

Cosmoline... pretty sure they all got it
Posted By: screamindriver

Re: Lower control arm coating? - 03/05/15 03:27 AM

What year are you refering to...Early B s got a black dipped control arm...{mid 60s}
Posted By: Purestocker

Re: Lower control arm coating? - 03/05/15 12:05 PM

1968 cars and back got black painted lowers
Posted By: hotairballoonpilot

Re: Lower control arm coating? - 03/05/15 05:13 PM

1969 dodge b body. thanks guys. what is everyone using for the coating?
Posted By: jt4406

Re: Lower control arm coating? - 03/05/15 06:08 PM

I used "Quasimoline Paint" sold by Resto Rick. Good stuff....

http://www.restorick.com/proddetail.asp?prod=PntQuasimoline

JT

Attached picture 8449925-LCA.jpg
Posted By: JMCFAN

Re: Lower control arm coating? - 03/05/15 07:36 PM

Same here
Posted By: autoxcuda

Re: Lower control arm coating? - 03/05/15 08:23 PM

Krylon battery protector work well too. Some will spray with clear to cover the sticky-ness so that they don't collect dirt.

Read here: https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/show...&PHPSESSID=
Posted By: FJR doc

Re: Lower control arm coating? - 03/05/15 09:40 PM

I used the Krylon Battery Protector. It seemed to get good reviews and I was able to purchase it locally. Most of the tackiness dried up in time but i did spray a coat of clear over top.

Attached picture 8450185-PICT2616.JPG
Posted By: 340cpe

Re: Lower control arm coating? - 03/06/15 04:48 AM

Is it true that 71 and up lynch road cars were black? I currently have three of these cars and there is no evidence that they ever had "quasmoline" as a coating on the LCA's. Any input?
Posted By: ScottSmith_Harms

Re: Lower control arm coating? - 03/06/15 05:50 AM

I started with this, real Cosmoline. 5 gallon bucket was expensive but will last for years. Around $400.00

Attached picture 8450752-cosmoline.jpg

Re: Lower control arm coating? - 03/06/15 05:54 AM

A soak in Evaporust and a scrub with a good non abrasive pad and solvent to get back to a nice clean bare metal.

Attached picture 8450758-cosmoline4.jpg

Re: Lower control arm coating? - 03/06/15 05:56 AM

Starting with nice clean parts makes a big difference, rust pitting won't get hidden by any cosmetic coating.

Attached picture 8450759-cosmoline5.jpg

Re: Lower control arm coating? - 03/06/15 05:57 AM

The big dip up to about the outer rivet based on the original pattern my set had (it varied)

Attached picture 8450761-Cosmoline1.jpg

Re: Lower control arm coating? - 03/06/15 05:59 AM

Hanging to dry for a couple days. These reflect what the finished appearance would be using this method and the same look originals had. Drips, runs, thin and thick areas etc. are the norm. I used a box as a drip catcher, a clean metal pan would have allowed for a better unused product catch all (to save it) maybe next time. Most of the Cosmoline runs/drips off but it's a slow (hours) process.

Once these were dried the surface was slightly tacky, sort of like a candle feels, not so much stick, but waxy. I used ECS's RPM product on the entire arm before coating so any bare areas will remain nice and rust free.

I have also used the Krylon battery protector with good results for drivers I've done, it looks pretty close, dries to a slick non sticky surface like other paints, etc. but it won't get by any O.E judge worth his salt. I haven't tried Ricks "Quasiline" product but he makes awesome products so I'm sure it's high quality stuff as well.

Attached picture 8450767-cosmoline2.jpg
Posted By: RestoRick

Re: Lower control arm coating? - 03/06/15 02:30 PM

So many options.

For the OE correct I do the real stuff dip method as Scott shows, certainly the most authentic way.

Here's a pic of my "Quasimoline" paint.
I'll soon be offering a satin clear epoxy paint finish for over bare steel.

© 2024 Moparts Forums