Moparts

Restore original or buy repop e body rally speedo?

Posted By: jt4406

Restore original or buy repop e body rally speedo? - 02/11/15 02:48 AM

Rally dash speedo in my challenger looks pretty good, but when put into operation this past summer, it quickly became very noisy, needle started jumping, and promptly broke off! I need to fix it. Should I remove the speedo and have it restored or just buy one of the repops I see available?
Jess

Re: Restore original or buy repop e body rally speedo? - 02/13/15 02:35 PM

Posted By: VCODE

Re: Restore original or buy repop e body rally speedo? - 02/13/15 02:49 PM

Send yours to Instrument Specialties in RI
401-267-0055 Mike or Tom
You can't go wrong with them.
Bob
Posted By: Cooda

Re: Restore original or buy repop e body rally speedo? - 02/13/15 03:24 PM

Make sure you check your speedometer cable, sometimes they are the cuplrit of this.

Re: Restore original or buy repop e body rally speedo? - 02/13/15 04:23 PM

Yeah, thought about that, and will recheck and lub it again, but I did that before I installed it. However, the speedo came to me by way of a parts car and was untested when installed (my bad judgment there). Just "licking my calf" and wondering which route is best.

jt
Posted By: second 70

Re: Restore original or buy repop e body rally speedo? - 02/13/15 06:46 PM

Quote:

Rally dash speedo in my challenger looks pretty good, but when put into operation this past summer, it quickly became very noisy, needle started jumping, and promptly broke off! I need to fix it. Should I remove the speedo and have it restored or just buy one of the repops I see available?
Jess

There is a plastic gear in the speedometer that gets a slight crack in it and slips and usually causes the needle to go to 160 hit the stop and break. Once you send it to have the gear replaced it should work fine.
© 2024 Moparts Forums