Moparts

V5* Body Side Molding picture request

Posted By: Hemiken

V5* Body Side Molding picture request - 01/24/15 02:18 PM

Hi, has any one got any close up pictures of the body side moldings for a 1970 `Cuda/Gran Coupe/Barracuda they can share please. I would like to see the profile and also how it is trimmed off at each panel end.
Does anyone know if their is a molding available new too please.

Thanks,
Kenny.
Posted By: 1cuda

Re: V5* Body Side Molding picture request - 01/24/15 10:33 PM

https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/show...rue#Post8270906

this came up a while ago...i think the molding is white and black...NOT chrome and black for v5X.
all the best
frank...on my way to queensland for a week again (our carnarvon bananas are tastier)

Re: V5* Body Side Molding picture request - 01/25/15 01:53 AM

Thanks for that Frank

But i was looking more for a close up of the ends and how they are cut, it seems that the very ends are not just a straight cut. But i have checked out that thread before buddy

Still looking if someone has these on their car they can share pictures of them please.
Posted By: 6bblgt

Re: V5* Body Side Molding picture request - 01/25/15 01:57 AM

& '70s are significantly different than '71s (I'll go look for some pics )

Re: V5* Body Side Molding picture request - 01/25/15 02:00 AM

Thanks Dan,
I knew the two were different. Thanks for having a look my friend.
Posted By: tx9cuda

Re: V5* Body Side Molding picture request - 01/25/15 11:52 PM

This might help, took the pic at Carlisle last summer. My Cuda is a V5R car.

Attached picture 8407728-IMG_0651.JPG

Re: V5* Body Side Molding picture request - 01/26/15 06:00 AM

WOW, that is awesome. Thanks for sharing that.
That is what i am looking for, some profile shots of the ends of the trim itself would be good too, and any more pictures of the trim on other 70 Barracuda/Gran Coupe/`Cuda please.
Posted By: YYZ

Re: V5* Body Side Molding picture request - 01/26/15 01:36 PM

The ends of the mouldings are fairly crude and appear to have been cut using a heated wire or similar hot utensil.

I thought that I had some pics on file from one of the earlier threads a year or two ago, but apparently not, however, I can take some once we open the place up north in a couple of months.

There was some discussion about having them reproduced, and I'm willing to lend my NOS set as patterns.

Re: V5* Body Side Molding picture request - 01/26/15 01:40 PM

Thanks for your reply.
Interesting to hear how the ends may have been parted, it makes sense it was done that way. Are the mouldings very pliable, as in flexible. They look like they are not very forgiving in structural strength if not applied correctly.
What colour are the NOS ones you have please ?

Re: V5* Body Side Molding picture request - 01/26/15 03:03 PM

It's hard to gauge as the set I have is quite old and not terribly pliable now. However, I don't think that they'd be any worse than an aftermarket body side moulding -- the consistency of the material has a definite stiffness. There is adhesive on the back, with the mandatory green tape to cover it as found on other Chrysler emblems and trim.

Cross-section is about 1cm x .5cm and rounded.

They are definitely an extrusion. I would think that if one had access to the right forming equipment, a die with the right profile would be very easy to make.

My NOS set is black.
Posted By: DAYCLONA

Re: V5* Body Side Molding picture request - 01/26/15 07:27 PM

Quote:

It's hard to gauge as the set I have is quite old and not terribly pliable now. However, I don't think that they'd be any worse than an aftermarket body side moulding -- the consistency of the material has a definite stiffness. There is adhesive on the back, with the mandatory green tape to cover it as found on other Chrysler emblems and trim.

They are definitely an extrusion. I would think that if one had access to the right forming equipment, a die with the right profile would be very easy to make.

My NOS set is black.

If someone wants the challenge/cost of having these moldings made, the firm that could do a small custom run based on your specs/supplied sample would be PolyForm Inc in Oregon... www.plasticextrusion.com

IIRC they also have a plant in British Columbia

Re: V5* Body Side Molding picture request - 01/27/15 02:55 PM

Quote:

My NOS set is black.

Is that a guess at the size or the real size, they are only small if that is correct.
I totally hear what your saying about the brittleness with age, and how when new they would be more pliable, just as you say, pretty much the same flex as what a modern day moulding would be.
Thanks
Posted By: cudaized

Re: V5* Body Side Molding picture request - 01/28/15 02:08 PM

Will these do Kenny?

1970 a

Attached picture 8410631-6529260-DSC04219.jpg

Re: V5* Body Side Molding picture request - 01/28/15 02:09 PM

b

Attached picture 8410632-6529261-DSC04218.jpg

Re: V5* Body Side Molding picture request - 01/28/15 02:10 PM

c

Attached picture 8410633-6529262-DSC04217.jpg

Re: V5* Body Side Molding picture request - 01/28/15 02:11 PM

d

Attached picture 8410636-6529263-DSC04216.jpg

Re: V5* Body Side Molding picture request - 01/28/15 02:12 PM

e

Attached picture 8410637-6529265-DSC04215.jpg

Re: V5* Body Side Molding picture request - 01/28/15 02:12 PM

f

Attached picture 8410638-6529266-DSC04214.jpg

Re: V5* Body Side Molding picture request - 01/28/15 02:13 PM

g

Attached picture 8410640-6529267-DSC04213.jpg

Re: V5* Body Side Molding picture request - 01/28/15 02:14 PM

h

Attached picture 8410641-6529269-DSC04212.jpg

Re: V5* Body Side Molding picture request - 01/28/15 02:18 PM

i

Attached picture 8410645-BS23N0E106879j.jpg

Re: V5* Body Side Molding picture request - 01/28/15 02:18 PM

j

Attached picture 8410647-BS23N0E106879k.jpg

Re: V5* Body Side Molding picture request - 01/28/15 03:19 PM

Great shots Ola!

And yes, the actual mouldings aren't very big in cross section, however, the pinstripe surround creates the illusion of their being much larger.
Posted By: hemicar1971

Re: V5* Body Side Molding picture request - 01/28/15 06:12 PM

Quote:

This might help, took the pic at Carlisle last summer. My Cuda is a V5R car.

It is funny how popular the V5R option was back in 1970. I know of two other 1970 Hemi Cudas that are built this same way Black with Red Interior and V5R. Awesome color combination.

Re: V5* Body Side Molding picture request - 01/29/15 01:59 PM

Thanks heaps Ola.

I think this is a really sexy option on any 70 Barracuda/Gran Coupe/`Cuda, it really pops when you look at them, i would love to see the other colours that were offered in the V5* colour range also. I can see another addition for a part that is well needed in fact.

(Ola, Ian's container is supposed to land on Friday and clear for pick up by the week after)
Posted By: Diego (not Ted)

Re: V5* Body Side Molding picture request - 01/30/15 08:33 PM

It's interesting to hear you say it's "sexy" because I think prevailing wisdom suggests it's an undesirable option. Certain exceptions, of course, like black/red, but if it was red/black, I bet most restorers would leave it off.
Posted By: B5 Bee

Re: V5* Body Side Molding picture request - 01/31/15 01:37 AM

Quote:

Thanks heaps Ola.

I think this is a really sexy option on any 70 Barracuda/Gran Coupe/`Cuda, it really pops when you look at them, i would love to see the other colours that were offered in the V5* colour range also. I can see another addition for a part that is well needed in fact.

My Cuda is EF8/V5F. When I bought it in '89, the molding had badly faded from the FL sun into a medium brown. There is still a hint of green on the bottom edge, the edge that avoided most of the sunlight. It's hard to tell the original color but appears that V5F may have been similar to FJ5 Lime Light. The original owner said when the car was new, the V5F option was attractive because of it's striking contrast to the dark EF8 paint.

I asked why he ordered the V5F over the V6X. He thought the 440 hockey stripe looked too much like a 340 stripe and he didn't want his car to be confused with a mere 340 Cuda!

I was missing one piece, the right rear quarter, so when I had it painted, I put on a V6X. If there is a run of V5* molding, I'm in for a set if it's available in green.

Weren't there just 5 colors?
black
white
blue
red
green
Posted By: 44D6PAKCUDA

Re: V5* Body Side Molding picture request - 01/31/15 01:49 AM

My Cuda came with them originally and if they were made available I'm sure I would put them back on (FYI I have since removed the hockey stripe)

Attached picture 8413098-Miner.jpg
Posted By: KISSAlien

Re: V5* Body Side Molding picture request - 01/31/15 01:59 AM

Quote:

black
white
blue
red
green

Yes.

Re: V5* Body Side Molding picture request - 01/31/15 03:38 AM

Quote:

It's interesting to hear you say it's "sexy" because I think prevailing wisdom suggests it's an undesirable option. Certain exceptions, of course, like black/red, but if it was red/black, I bet most restorers would leave it off.

I do think they are sexy in fact, these are a one year and unique to the Barracuda line up only. They are seldom seen as the double sided tape gets old and the mouldings drop off over time, i think the Black would not be as striking like you say, but it all depends on the underlying colour of the car in contrast, i think the Black would still look striking against a body colour of White or B3 light Blue metallic actually.
But like you have pointed out, it will come down to the discretion of an individual and weather they think it would add a visual enhancement and if they like it at the end of a restoration.
I still like them and will run it on my own car.

Re: V5* Body Side Molding picture request - 01/31/15 03:44 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Thanks heaps Ola.

My Cuda is EF8/V5F. When I bought it in '89, the molding had badly faded from the FL sun into a medium brown. There is still a hint of green on the bottom edge, the edge that avoided most of the sunlight. It's hard to tell the original color but appears that V5F may have been similar to FJ5 Lime Light. The original owner said when the car was new, the V5F option was attractive because of it's striking contrast to the dark EF8 paint.

I asked why he ordered the V5F over the V6X. He thought the 440 hockey stripe looked too much like a 340 stripe and he didn't want his car to be confused with a mere 340 Cuda!

I was missing one piece, the right rear quarter, so when I had it painted, I put on a V6X. If there is a run of V5* molding, I'm in for a set if it's available in green.

black
white
blue
red
green

Like Ken said, your list of colours are correct of what was available.

On another note, is your moulding off your car ?
If so i would really like to see the back side of it where the double sided tape was applied, that should be the exact correct colour of the moulding as it would have never seen sunlight for it to fade in that area. The reason they are not used or seen is because of what you explained, just a simple dropping off of cars over time and with age has caused this to happen, plus the sun does not help with fading and discolouration either.
Can you post pictures if you do have them off the car and if you have still got your tape in its place on the car would be good to see please.

Re: V5* Body Side Molding picture request - 01/31/15 03:45 AM

Quote:

My Cuda came with them originally and if they were made available I'm sure I would put them back on (FYI I have since removed the hockey stripe)

I take it your car is coded for Black mouldings ?

Re: V5* Body Side Molding picture request - 01/31/15 02:19 PM

Yes it is

Re: V5* Body Side Molding picture request - 01/31/15 02:55 PM

Quote:

Yes it is

That is too cool, i think they would look really nice replaced also Thanks for sharing.
Posted By: GOLDMYN

Re: V5* Body Side Molding picture request - 01/31/15 04:21 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I do think they are sexy in fact, these are a one year and unique to the Barracuda line up only. They are seldom seen as the double sided tape gets old and the mouldings drop off over time, i think the Black would not be as striking like you say, but it all depends on the underlying colour of the car in contrast, i think the Black would still look striking against a body colour of White or B3 light Blue metallic actually.
But like you have pointed out, it will come down to the discretion of an individual and weather they think it would add a visual enhancement and if they like it at the end of a restoration.
I still like them and will run it on my own car.

Not just a 1970 option, my 1971 Charger has V5X also

Attached picture 8413723-newchargerfendertag.jpg
Posted By: Alaskan_TA

Re: V5* Body Side Molding picture request - 01/31/15 04:28 PM

V5_ on the '70 Barracuda included the surround stripe which made them unique as far as I know.
Posted By: GOLDMYN

Re: V5* Body Side Molding picture request - 01/31/15 05:25 PM

serves me right for sticking my where it didn't belong
Posted By: koak

Re: V5* Body Side Molding picture request - 01/31/15 06:37 PM

Moldings survived on my car all of these years, but the pinstripe did not. They will be going back on. Unfortunately, the RR is scratched up. Would like to find a replacement. Can anyone help?

Attached picture 8413879-DSC00658.JPG
Posted By: 70440+6bbl

Re: V5* Body Side Molding picture request - 01/31/15 06:49 PM

My old V5X car

Attached picture 8413895-142.jpg

Re: V5* Body Side Molding picture request - 01/31/15 07:25 PM

The pin striping that surrounds the molding is available from PCG.Now if we can just find someone to find a company to reproduce the molding.Vlad has the test mule pieces if needed.

Re: V5* Body Side Molding picture request - 01/31/15 08:28 PM

Not at all happy with the PCG reproduction stripe. See pic. NOS on LH...

Attached picture 8414034-poor_pinstripe.jpg

Re: V5* Body Side Molding picture request - 02/01/15 02:57 AM

Quote:

Not just a 1970 option, my 1971 Charger has V5X also

Sorry, i should have said Barracuda specific my bad.

Re: V5* Body Side Molding picture request - 02/01/15 03:00 AM

Quote:

My old V5X car

WOW, i think that the Black looks really good against that Burnt Orange even. The more i see, the more i like.
Thanks for sharing.

Do i spy a Gator Grain roof also ?

Re: V5* Body Side Molding picture request - 02/01/15 03:04 AM

Quote:

Not at all happy with the PCG reproduction stripe. See pic. NOS on LH...

Your car looks good and i was wondering if you knew about Performance Car Graphics, and then i seen this. Is that really who supplied that decal, the NOS one is bang on, but that other thing is way off the mark. Did you contact them and show them these pictures, i would be interested in hearing what they have to say and rectify the problem.
I would like to see stripes put on your car back with the mouldings. It is another cool colour combo.

Re: V5* Body Side Molding picture request - 02/01/15 05:55 AM

Thanks for the words about my car. Yes, I am looking forward to getting them back on the car (and the car completed). Yeah, they are PCG. No, I did not contact them. Maybe I should have? I am looking at having a local vinyl graphics company making them from my NOS and some tracings of originals. It doesn't seem like it would be very difficult...
Posted By: Diego (not Ted)

Re: V5* Body Side Molding picture request - 02/01/15 08:47 AM

Quote:

It's hard to tell the original color but appears that V5F may have been similar to FJ5 Lime Light.

I think it will be more like this color, which is popularly known as Ledger Green:

http://www.performancecargraphics.com/Stripes_Lettering/Barracuda/70_Mid_Pinstripe.htm

Re: V5* Body Side Molding picture request - 02/01/15 02:52 PM

Quote:

Thanks for the words about my car. Yes, I am looking forward to getting them back on the car (and the car completed). Yeah, they are PCG. No, I did not contact them. Maybe I should have? I am looking at having a local vinyl graphics company making them from my NOS and some tracings of originals. It doesn't seem like it would be very difficult...

Maybe you should contact them, i have it from a reliable source that they copied them from a set of NOS stripes like you have, maybe their was a glitch with the cutter on that day, it does happen from time to time.
Can you show pictures of the NOS and PCG ones you have on the ends please, i like seeing the angles and shape of these stripes.

Re: V5* Body Side Molding picture request - 02/01/15 02:53 PM

Quote:

Quote:

It's hard to tell the original color but appears that V5F may have been similar to FJ5 Lime Light.

I think it will be more like this color, which is popularly known as Ledger Green:

http://www.performancecargraphics.com/Stripes_Lettering/Barracuda/70_Mid_Pinstripe.htm

I would agree that it is more likely to be ledger green for the moulding and stripe to match.

Re: V5* Body Side Molding picture request - 02/01/15 04:09 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Maybe you should contact them, i have it from a reliable source that they copied them from a set of NOS stripes like you have, maybe their was a glitch with the cutter on that day, it does happen from time to time.
Can you show pictures of the NOS and PCG ones you have on the ends please, i like seeing the angles and shape of these stripes.

Maybe I should have. I probably bought them 5 years ago tho. I just thought it was another poor reproduction. My NOS set is with the vinyl graphics shop right now so I can't post them up.

Re: V5* Body Side Molding picture request - 02/01/15 10:45 PM

Quote:

Quote:

My old V5X car

WOW, i think that the Black looks really good against that Burnt Orange even. The more i see, the more i like.
Thanks for sharing.

You sure do

Attached picture 8415617-BS23V0B179158wesley.jpg

Re: V5* Body Side Molding picture request - 02/01/15 10:48 PM

Close up of ends

Attached picture 8415620-232323232fp8;2_nu=3247_894_;54_WSNRCG=32845_7;9;33_nu0mrj.jpg

Re: V5* Body Side Molding picture request - 02/02/15 04:07 AM

Quote:

Maybe I should have. I probably bought them 5 years ago tho. I just thought it was another poor reproduction. My NOS set is with the vinyl graphics shop right now so I can't post them up.

Let us know when you get them back please, would like to see them before application.

Re: V5* Body Side Molding picture request - 02/02/15 04:10 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

My old V5X car

Thanks for sharing.

You sure do

Thanks for sharing.

I find it amusing that today's fashion goes hand in hand with what would be period correct for the era of the cars we drive.
Your Boy looks right at home in his period correct disguise.
© 2024 Moparts Forums