Posted By: Hamtramck

AMD sheet metal or clean used - 01/23/15 10:29 PM

I need to replace the passenger fender and hood on my
69 roadrunner conv due to accident damage (fender) and rust
(Hood, leaking shed roof) . The drivers fender doors etc are
Really nice and will be reused. My question is, how well
Will AMD metal match the original if I was to use it? Will
It be obvious that they are aftermarket? Been looking for
Clean used for a while and keep finding junk.
Posted By: herkamer

Re: AMD sheet metal or clean used - 01/24/15 01:23 AM

AMD is pretty good. I have B Body doors and a few areas will need some light touch up to get the gaps perfect near the fenders. Typical of any aftermarket sheet metal. Nothing is ever as good as original, but this is 99%. Probably have a very hard time finding a piece that needs less work. The Dart fender I got is an incredibly nice piece.
Posted By: Q5_Ed

Re: AMD sheet metal or clean used - 01/24/15 04:06 AM

Can usually find nice ones at Carlisle if u want original there were definitely some there last year. Otherwise AMD with some work. A buddy has both sides on his runner project.
Posted By: ScottSmith_Harms

Re: AMD sheet metal or clean used - 01/24/15 04:38 AM

I wouldn't use ANY reproduction sheet metal if I had clean used available. I don't care "how nice" the reproductions are, NONE of it is a perfect match to OEM.

Posted By: flypaper

Re: AMD sheet metal or clean used - 01/24/15 05:25 PM

all repop parts should be parts of last resort
Posted By: Silver70

Re: AMD sheet metal or clean used - 01/24/15 06:09 PM

The 69 rr hoods are one amd panels I'd be willing to use over a used one. The chances of finding a hood as nice as them are pretty slim. When you factor in the time to strip, straighten and so on, they usually cost less too.

They are one panel in my opinion as nice as factory. I can't comment on their fenders.
Posted By: DAYCLONA

Re: AMD sheet metal or clean used - 01/24/15 07:07 PM

Quote:

The 69 rr hoods are one amd panels I'd be willing to use over a used one. The chances of finding a hood as nice as them are pretty slim. When you factor in the time to strip, straighten and so on, they usually cost less too.

They are one panel in my opinion as nice as factory. I can't comment on their fenders.

Agreed, I've used the AMD RR hood very nice piece, I've also used their RR/Sat full rear qtrs, again very nice pcs, the marker light area had some minor issues, but very simple fix....

Mike
Posted By: NV69B7RR

Re: AMD sheet metal or clean used - 01/24/15 07:22 PM

Fender, clean used original. Hood AMD
Posted By: TOMRR

Re: AMD sheet metal or clean used - 01/24/15 08:35 PM

My Hood from AMD!!
Posted By: azblackhemi

Re: AMD sheet metal or clean used - 01/25/15 07:46 PM

This is also an AMD hood.

Attached picture 8407511-P8200006.JPG
Posted By: PasiR

Re: AMD sheet metal or clean used - 01/25/15 08:04 PM

Always clean used if possible.
Posted By: hotairballoonpilot

Re: AMD sheet metal or clean used - 01/25/15 08:42 PM

I'm doing a 69 super bee that I had to reuse both the hood and get another fender. I wish AMD had those panels. Imo the clean up it takes on used just doesn't compare to being able to used new parts. Yes there will always be issues with no matter who's parts you use. Every person will see some thing the next guy might not see. Save your self the costs n get new.

Corey
Posted By: Hamtramck

Re: AMD sheet metal or clean used - 01/25/15 11:22 PM

Thank you all for the input. It looks like the hood is is a toss up and the fender
Should be an original. Looks like a trip to Carlisle is in order. 😎
Posted By: 6PakBee

Re: AMD sheet metal or clean used - 01/25/15 11:28 PM

I saw one of the AMD Roadrunner fenders. IIRC they aren't the same in the area where the hood bumpers are. The originals have more than one piece spotted together and the AMD fender is stamped as one piece. But it has been a while and the mind is......what was I talking about?
Posted By: elitecustombody

Re: AMD sheet metal or clean used - 01/27/15 08:05 PM

If you have some used mint original parts readily available at decent price, jump on that. Just remember, every car is different and even OEM parts off untouched car may not fit perfectly on another car that's never been worked on . I can post a picture of same bumper on three different cars that have all original metal and you will see what I mean.

AMD part is better than rusty part that would need a lot of work.

Give me a minute, I'll find that picture
Posted By: elitecustombody

Re: AMD sheet metal or clean used - 01/27/15 08:44 PM

Here you go! Three different cars,same bumper.

Not sure what's going on, spent half an hour trying to make the picture show up, tried every version. May have to click on the link or see little attachment at the top, it works there

[image]http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj260/elitecustombody/Mobile%20Uploads/CECE27DF-5CEA-4B30-BE8F-6DEAF49213F4.png_zpsg6kl9yly.jpeg[/image]

[image][IMG]http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj260/elitecustombody/Mobile%20Uploads/CECE27DF-5CEA-4B30-BE8F-6DEAF49213F4.png_zpsg6kl9yly.jpeg[/IMG][/image]

Attached picture 8409734-cudabumper.jpeg
Posted By: B5cudavert

Re: AMD sheet metal or clean used - 01/28/15 03:42 AM

ALWAYS go with clean used if at all possible. If you get repro & you have minimal skills you will have problems!
© 2024 Moparts Forums