Moparts

70-1 A body Rallye dash bezel

Posted By: scatpacktom

70-1 A body Rallye dash bezel - 01/21/15 02:52 PM

I'm in the position of needing both a 70 and 71 A body Rallye dash bezel. I have two excellent candidates for replating but I also see there is brand new bezels on the market. Is there a reason I should go one way or the other? I need two, so cost is a little concern but it is not the only concern.

Any insight would be great.
Posted By: FJR doc

Re: 70-1 A body Rallye dash bezel - 01/21/15 03:04 PM

I needed to make a decision whether to restore my original 1970 Rallye dash or purchase a reproduction. In the end, I purchased a new reproduction dash. My original bezel had no remaining "chrome" on it and I was concerned about how durable it would be after refinishing.
I am very happy with the finish and fit of the repro bezel. I would be glad to forward you some close-ups if you would like to see more detail.
Posted By: ScottSmith_Harms

Re: 70-1 A body Rallye dash bezel - 01/21/15 03:34 PM

A

Re: 70-1 A body Rallye dash bezel - 01/21/15 05:36 PM

Can you tell me more about the problems you had with the repops Scott. What did you have to do?

Re: 70-1 A body Rallye dash bezel - 01/21/15 06:55 PM

I guess I could offset the cost of the repops by selling my bezels but that in itself raises a red flag. People must want the old junk for a reason

Re: 70-1 A body Rallye dash bezel - 01/21/15 07:33 PM

I had minimal issues installing my repro bezel/ instrument cluster in my Rallye dash.
Posted By: ademon

Re: 70-1 A body Rallye dash bezel - 01/21/15 07:55 PM

Who's the best to get them from?

Re: 70-1 A body Rallye dash bezel - 01/21/15 07:59 PM

I got mine from BE&A.
Posted By: HEMICUDA

Re: 70-1 A body Rallye dash bezel - 01/21/15 08:21 PM

Quote:

New bezels:

Good:

Easy to source
Chrome is very durable
Final fit is ok
Cost will normally run a little lower compared to restoring an original

Bad:

While fit is ok, the 2 I've installed were a PIA and needed to be tweaked to install them, it was not a simple drop in.

Chrome is pretty, but not original, it is actual chrome plating vs vacuum metalized as factory so they do look a bit different and a bit too "shiny", they are different enough that I can easily spot one when I see one in a car.

I had both on hand, 2 restored ones and 2 reproductions, so I had free choice between them when doing my cars. I went with originals in my cars. Originals with new vacuum metalizing hold up better than they originally did simply because of the (invisible)urethane top coat they get, it makes them quite durable. Instrument Specialties restored my last one and it's beautiful.

Scott is correct as always, the reproduction with real chrome shines way better than an original and is not susceptible to wiping off with repeated cleaning like the original. Vacuum metalizing was an inexpensive alternative to put a "semi" chrome shine on a part.

Re: 70-1 A body Rallye dash bezel - 01/21/15 08:31 PM

I don't have a good photo of my entire dash but here's a close up of the repro.

Attached picture 8403658-IMG_0010.jpg
Posted By: 70440+6bbl

Re: 70-1 A body Rallye dash bezel - 01/21/15 09:22 PM

Tom- I just went through the exact same issue with the bezel for a '70 Dart Swinger. In the end, the repop won out. For one, shipping the original and somewhat brittle plastic to Washington (GCAR), was more than I felt like taking a chance on and two, my lenses were crazed in a few spots. The repop lenses are $215.00 for the kit, so when all was said and done, I would be into either setup for the same amount. While there are some differences, they are so minor that I can certainly live with them and 99.999% of the people in the world will never notice or even care...

FYI- I did send my dash bezel and the woodgrain panel from my GTX to GCAR for rechroming/replating. No other choice there

Re: 70-1 A body Rallye dash bezel - 01/21/15 10:28 PM

B
Posted By: steve70

Re: 70-1 A body Rallye dash bezel - 01/21/15 10:33 PM

I'm bringing my complete dash to Instrument Specialties on Friday. They do great work but it's nice that a reproduction is available for those with broken or missing bezels.

Re: 70-1 A body Rallye dash bezel - 01/21/15 10:57 PM

&
Posted By: ademon

Re: 70-1 A body Rallye dash bezel - 01/21/15 11:17 PM

Mine was cut for the old 70's cassette player, so I'll be buying one soon, chrome was gone anyway.

Re: 70-1 A body Rallye dash bezel - 01/21/15 11:24 PM

E

Re: 70-1 A body Rallye dash bezel - 01/22/15 06:14 AM

Thanks for the replys
© 2024 Moparts Forums