Moparts

Painted Red Brake Drum Question ??

Posted By: vette1986

Painted Red Brake Drum Question ?? - 01/16/15 03:33 PM

Okay guys this is one I can never seem to get a straight answer on from people who actually know. When were brake drums painted red? I have heard if the car was to be equipped with magnums or rallye rims it would get red paint on the drums? Is this correct?

I have a 71 charger rt that is a drum car rear disk in front but was rallye rims. Would that be red?
Posted By: burdar

Re: Painted Red Brake Drum Question ?? - 01/16/15 04:24 PM

If the car had "styled" wheels where you could see the drum through the wheel, the drum was painted red. Plain steel wheels with dog dish or full wheel covers would NOT have had the drums painted. Obviously a mistake could have been made on the line but this was supposed to be the procedure. If your car came with the Rallye wheels, then the drums would have been painted.
Posted By: Stewpar

Re: Painted Red Brake Drum Question ?? - 01/16/15 04:28 PM

YES

Re: Painted Red Brake Drum Question ?? - 01/16/15 04:30 PM

Cool thanks for the info! Now I finally have a solid answer on that. Where they painted all the way around the drum or was it just the face? I seem to recall seeing some that looked like someone just walked up with a brush and slopped it on the face and it dripped down the ribs of the drum.

Anyone got a pic of a "correct" one? thanks
Posted By: Stewpar

Re: Painted Red Brake Drum Question ?? - 01/16/15 04:34 PM

This is the best one........

https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Number=8151787
Posted By: 70440+6bbl

Re: Painted Red Brake Drum Question ?? - 01/16/15 04:35 PM

supposed to be just the face Mike. I have several original drums that show that method.
Posted By: 70440+6bbl

Re: Painted Red Brake Drum Question ?? - 01/16/15 04:37 PM

here you go. someone posted this here before.

Attached picture 8398148-7574826-red004.jpg
Posted By: VCODE

Re: Painted Red Brake Drum Question ?? - 01/16/15 04:47 PM

Here you go,70 Challenger. You can also see the green paint on studs
Bob

Attached picture 8398161-aug252011023.jpg

Re: Painted Red Brake Drum Question ?? - 01/16/15 04:48 PM

Thanks James!
Posted By: mopar346

Re: Painted Red Brake Drum Question ?? - 01/16/15 05:53 PM

Outter 2 inches of the drum face is what the engineering diagram shows I think. Paint it like a drunk factory worker and you will be spot on. Calipers are suppose to have the top 2 inches painted as well, but many will argue that issue, I actually had red paint on the hub area of my original rotors (AAR).

Attached picture 8398216-IMG_2338.JPG

Re: Painted Red Brake Drum Question ?? - 01/16/15 05:55 PM

Verbage

Attached picture 8398218-IMG_2339.JPG

Re: Painted Red Brake Drum Question ?? - 01/16/15 05:56 PM

Batalson's paint.

Attached picture 8398220-IMG_2334.JPG
Posted By: a12rag

Re: Painted Red Brake Drum Question ?? - 01/16/15 06:09 PM

My 70 Sport Satellite came with the Road Wheels (Magnum 500s)and the original drums showed the red paint . . . here is what it looks like with wheels on . . .

Attached picture 8398227-Satellite2LethMay2013.jpg

Re: Painted Red Brake Drum Question ?? - 01/16/15 09:34 PM

Anyone got a pic of what the front calipers should look like? Thanks
Posted By: DAYCLONA

Re: Painted Red Brake Drum Question ?? - 01/16/15 09:58 PM

Quote:

Now you've done it!

Re: Painted Red Brake Drum Question ?? - 01/16/15 11:44 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Now you've done it!

Yep and I know it when i threw it out there.
Posted By: denfireguy

Re: Painted Red Brake Drum Question ?? - 01/17/15 04:06 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Now you've done it!

Yeah

Re: Painted Red Brake Drum Question ?? - 01/17/15 04:55 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Now you've done it!

Yeah

Last time this came up

Attached picture 8398895-redcalipers.JPG
Posted By: bill440rt

Re: Painted Red Brake Drum Question ?? - 01/18/15 01:56 AM

Nearly the entire rear drums were painted red on my '70 Charger. Red up to the back ridge on the drum.
I duplicated it, & found Chrysler Engine Red paint to be a good match.
Yes, the drums on this car had this much red on them. The original road wheels have heavy drips of red paint on the backsides as well.

Attached picture 8399648-100_4926.JPG
Posted By: NANKET

Re: Painted Red Brake Drum Question ?? - 01/18/15 05:17 AM

You can see where the paint dripped off the drum, not out at the edge of the wheel, but in where the center is welded on. Evidence that the flat face only was painted.

Attached picture 8399839-DSC09860.JPG

Re: Painted Red Brake Drum Question ?? - 01/18/15 06:18 PM

Quote:

Nearly the entire rear drums were painted red on my '70 Charger. Red up to the back ridge on the drum.
Yes, the drums on this car had this much red on them. The original road wheels have heavy drips of red paint on the backsides as well.

Any chance you have pictures of the drums BEFORE restoration, any thing is possible but pictures help. Nothing to say your drunk assemblyline worker wasn't detail oriented.

Re: Painted Red Brake Drum Question ?? - 01/18/15 06:55 PM

Quote:

Any chance you have pictures of the drums BEFORE restoration, any thing is possible but pictures help. Nothing to say your drunk assemblyline worker wasn't detail oriented.

Maybe it wasn't a "drunk" on the line, but perhaps the "new guy" and either he was out to impress the line supervisor, or was a through lad to detail?

I've serviced Mopars since the 70's, often times taking the wheels off the vehicle for the first time for new tires/brakes/etc when I worked in the shop, most wheels were stuck to the drum with paint( which means the line wasn't paying attention to avoiding the studs/wheel mating surfaces), the paint applications ranged from just a few swipes with almost no coverage to drums that looked like they were dunked in paint...
Posted By: bill440rt

Re: Painted Red Brake Drum Question ?? - 01/24/15 06:11 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Sure.
This is the best picture I have, I took a picture of the picture so I could attach it here. This was taken sometime in the early 90's during the resto.
This was the factory red painted drum, you can see the paint extends nearly to the back edge of the drum.

Attached picture 8406166-0525132005.jpg
© 2024 Moparts Forums