Moparts

Wheelwell undercoating/Sound deadener

Posted By: Kern Dog

Wheelwell undercoating/Sound deadener - 01/08/15 12:31 AM

I plan to do some wheelwell mods and want to recreate the factory appearance. The stuff used in most of the cars I've seen looks like it went on quite thick. Is this stuff the same as used on the backsides of the quarter panels visible inside the trunk? I've owned several 67-76 A body cars that had the textured treatment on the sides of the trunk, presumably to resist outward dents when objects in the trunk shifted during driving.
I'd guess that the original stuff was loaded with Asbestos and anything modern had to be EPA compliant.
Anyone care to spill the details on what to buy and where? I do need both the wheelwell type stuff as well as what was used in the trunk area. Thanks, Greg
Posted By: clemul

Re: Wheelwell undercoating/Sound deadener - 01/08/15 01:17 AM

http://www.restorick.com/proddetail.asp?prod=Undercoat

Re: Wheelwell undercoating/Sound deadener - 01/08/15 01:25 AM

Heck yeah! That might just be what I need.
Posted By: 340cpe

Re: Wheelwell undercoating/Sound deadener - 01/08/15 06:10 AM

I have also used sprayable seam sealer with great results.
Posted By: NV69B7RR

Re: Wheelwell undercoating/Sound deadener - 01/08/15 06:16 AM

X2 for Resto Ricks stuff!
Posted By: cdp

Re: Wheelwell undercoating/Sound deadener - 01/09/15 01:35 AM

X3. Very very close to original.
Posted By: 5wndwcpe

Re: Wheelwell undercoating/Sound deadener - 01/09/15 07:24 AM

The air pressure, distance from wheel well and spray technique will all affect the final appearance. If you're not getting the desired texture, try altering your application.

That said - x4 on Ricks undercoating, it's good stuff.

Re: Wheelwell undercoating/Sound deadener - 01/09/15 08:56 AM

Probably fair to say that a close spraying distance will allow it to build up like sheetrock spackle compound?
Posted By: RestoRick

Re: Wheelwell undercoating/Sound deadener - 01/11/15 02:01 AM

I include application instructions that gives tricks & techniques with undercoating purchase.

I'm close to offering an undercoating gun that has better control and will make it easier to get great results.
© 2024 Moparts Forums