Moparts

See anything fishy with this tag?

Posted By: MOPARMIKE69

See anything fishy with this tag? - 12/08/14 05:04 PM

Just wondering if you guys see anything fishy with this tag. Look like a repop or original?

Attached picture 8355336-1970barracudaconverttag.jpg
Posted By: carcrazyguy

Re: See anything fishy with this tag? - 12/08/14 06:19 PM

The C in FC7 looks odd.
Posted By: 6bblgt

Re: See anything fishy with this tag? - 12/08/14 06:34 PM

lots of problems with that FAKE tag

Re: See anything fishy with this tag? - 12/08/14 06:56 PM

Quote:

lots of problems with that FAKE tag

That's what I was thinking!
Posted By: 72N96RR

Re: See anything fishy with this tag? - 12/09/14 05:58 AM

no sign off or inspection stamp.
Posted By: ErikR

Re: See anything fishy with this tag? - 12/09/14 08:01 PM

Any chance that is the (fake) tag for the car on ebay right now? Got any more pics of it you can post?

When I get home tonight I'll fire up an old pc and dig out the photos and vin.

I saw this auction too and I think the car in question used to be owned by my dead buddy Mike. There is a picture of it in pic archives "show your face" thread". See attached pic before the shaker and hemi when on.

If this is in fact the car I am thinking of then it DEFINITELY DID NOT HAVE A FENDER TAG when he owned it.

I knew once the car changed hands down the road it would show up with a tag someday, not many N code 70 Barracuda verts out there. If this is the same car then it was restored by a guy named Mike from OH (he was a member here). He said the car came out of FL as a basket case, originally blue/blue and from what he could tell during the resto, there was an original appearing 4-speed hump in the car. The car only had a vin tag at the time and there was no way to verify the 4-speed option 100%. Too many other detail here make me think its the same car like the tuff wheel, wood grain door inserts (they are blue underneath) and the seat covers without medallions (like the GC) and the same fat BF goodriches in the rear. right before he died he installed a hemi and shaker from the guy in NM. Also had the luggage rack and pedal dress-up trim.

Might not be the same car but I'd be really surprised. I'll post more later.

ebay Barracuda

EDIT
Ok I checked the auction again and saw all the additional pictures. I don't remember the incorrect fender Barracuda emblems, but the Mopar Nats decals are ringing a bell. Im pretty sure this is the same car but I'll dig out some photographic proof later tonight.

Attached picture 8356499-BH27NOB_faketag.jpg

Re: See anything fishy with this tag? - 12/09/14 08:43 PM

Yes that is the one. I have been in contact with the "used car" guy that is trying to sell this car.
Of course when I asked him if he had a build sheet for the car, since the tag was obviously a fake one, he said "the car was a real 4 speed car and that the FC7 and the white interior was the original and there wasn't a build sheet. I don't know if the tag is original or not".

I told him that he now KNOWS that the tag is fake and not an original. I also said the only thing that can be known for sure about this car without the build sheet and original tag was that it was a convertible and a 383 car.

The reserve is $105,000.00. I made him a reasonable offer for what the car is which is a nice vert with an added Hemi and a lot of cool options painted in FC7. He thinks he is going to get his $100,000. The auction is stalled around $55,000 right now and I offered him quite a bit more than that.

I am glad someone might be able to shed some light on this car. I hope you can come up with the VIN and any additional information on it's past.

Re: See anything fishy with this tag? - 12/09/14 09:13 PM

Here is his latest response:
"originally a 383 car w a 1968 Hemi installed,, did not know about the tag but doesn't matter much to us,"

At least he was honest with his response.
Posted By: 6bblgt

Re: See anything fishy with this tag? - 12/09/14 09:13 PM

That's not a Barracuda (BH) "H6XW" interior, if the woodgrain inserts in the door panels were there before restoration - they and what other parts came from another car. Seat covers are Gran Coupe (BP) ONLY pattern/style "P6XW".

Re: See anything fishy with this tag? - 12/09/14 09:17 PM

According to Erik just about all the parts came from other cars.
The dealer just said "we are selling this car as a tribute"
You mean a pieced together hot rod. A cool looking one though.

Re: See anything fishy with this tag? - 12/09/14 09:36 PM

Definitely not a H6XW interior but was on the car when Mike in OH restored it and also when Mike in NY bought it. I took the rear interior panels off that car one day and they were original blue dyed white.

Pretty sure my buddy bought it around 04-06, cant remember crap but he paid 40K for it and it had a nice 383 with a six-barrel setup.

I hope I can find the pictures of the car when it was on a rotisserie and to be accurate and fair I don't really know first hand how much rust repair had to be done. Probably the typical sheet metal but it wast wrecked or anything from the pics I saw when it was stripped.

Aside from the fender tag nonsense, it was a damn nice car! Very nice bodywork/paint. I'd be be happy to own it. I drove the car a few times and it was a blast, wished it was mine.

Re: See anything fishy with this tag? - 12/10/14 03:03 AM

found some of the old pics, it's the same car. Somehow it gained a fender tag once Mike's widow sold it.

pic 1

Attached picture 8356905-P3090013.jpg

Re: See anything fishy with this tag? - 12/10/14 03:04 AM

no tag, pic 2

Attached picture 8356907-P3090005.jpg

Re: See anything fishy with this tag? - 12/10/14 03:05 AM

nats stickers on windhield

Attached picture 8356910-DCP_0007_1.jpg

Re: See anything fishy with this tag? - 12/10/14 03:06 AM

not OE restored, but a damn nice cruiser

Attached picture 8356911-100_0340.JPG

Re: See anything fishy with this tag? - 12/10/14 03:08 AM

some resto pics provided by the guy Mike in OH who restored it. This one shows the B5 paint, supposedly had a B5 interior also.

Attached picture 8356913-cuda007.jpg

Re: See anything fishy with this tag? - 12/10/14 03:10 AM

thought there was a pic or 2 showing where the metal was replaced but just have these low res pics

Attached picture 8356917-cuda008.jpg

Re: See anything fishy with this tag? - 12/10/14 03:11 AM

fresh paint

Attached picture 8356918-cuda004.jpg

x2

Attached picture 8356919-cuda005.jpg

x3

Attached picture 8356921-cuda006.jpg

Re: See anything fishy with this tag? - 12/10/14 03:12 AM

x4

Attached picture 8356922-post7.jpg

Re: See anything fishy with this tag? - 12/10/14 03:13 AM

x5

Attached picture 8356923-P3040013.jpg

Re: See anything fishy with this tag? - 12/10/14 03:16 AM

x6

Attached picture 8356927-2.jpg

Re: See anything fishy with this tag? - 12/10/14 03:17 AM

x7

Attached picture 8356929-P3090025.jpg

Re: See anything fishy with this tag? - 12/10/14 03:23 AM

last one, again it was not trailer queen and fun to drive. I drove it one time by myself to a car show, sometime around 2003 I guess it was. Last time I was was cruising in a Barracuda vert was 1988 or so in my own un-restored car, still I'd had forgotten how people go absolutely nuts when they see one.

Attached picture 8356938-wasB5.jpg

Re: See anything fishy with this tag? - 12/10/14 03:36 AM

Knew this was gonna happen, but it still pisses me off someone would try to pass this tag off as legit.
I have no doubts it's a real BH27 N code, and very likely one of the few 4-speed cars, but other than that not much else can be said to be original.

Re: See anything fishy with this tag? - 12/10/14 03:22 PM

I contacted the seller through the 'ask the seller a question feature' on ebay.

Just letting you know, as others have already, the fender tag on this car is fake and a fraudulent reproduction. You should consider removing it from the car and this auction, and since you are selling it you'd be the one one the hook for passing it off as original to the car but you'd probably just plead ignorance I guess. Well consider yourself informed and you might want to revise the auction to indicate it's a fraudulent tag. This car lost it's tag many years ago and was never a purple car.

You think they will post my question/make it public so others bidding on the auction can see it?

Re: See anything fishy with this tag? - 12/10/14 03:42 PM

got a fast and shady reply form the seller,

We are selling as a tribute car,,we know that it was a 383 car, originally purple ( we were told by original owner) and original 4 speed car,, We don't care much about the tag but thanks for the info,, many have told us,, We do not misrepresent any of our cars!! have a great day Stuart 954 958 0000

Re: See anything fishy with this tag? - 12/10/14 08:18 PM

Quote:

got a fast and shady reply form the seller,

We are selling as a tribute car,,we know that it was a 383 car, originally purple ( we were told by original owner) and original 4 speed car,, We don't care much about the tag but thanks for the info,, many have told us,, We do not misrepresent any of our cars!! have a great day Stuart 954 958 0000

Used car salesman translation:
"Somebody sold us this car and told us it was an original purple car with a white interior. We dropped in a $20,000 68 Hemi. We don't give a %$#^ about the numbers and we don't want to know anything truthful about this car. Go away and let us sell this to an uninformed Rich guy while people think these cars are worth $3.5 million. Hey this one is a steal and we know how to talk so we can't get sued"!!!!

I sent him another e-mail last night simular to yours, telling him that the Mopar Nation had all the real information on this car and that he was a liar. That the car was a blue on blue car. I called into question his dealership and their reputation and the legality of it all. He didn't answer me yet. I am not gonna hold my breath.

Sad thing is this is probably a $75,000 car as it sits without the bogus tag.
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: See anything fishy with this tag? - 12/10/14 08:21 PM

Quote:

I sent him another e-mail last night simular to yours, telling him that the Mopar Nation had all the real information on this car and that he was a liar. That the car was a blue on blue car. I called into question his dealership and their reputation and the legality of it all. He didn't answer me yet. I am not gonna hold my breath.

If this was a certian dealer in the southeast he would be forwarding all the emails to his lawyer to sue the lot of you for defaming his name and his product ... then go on to brag about how many people he claims to have won settlements against ...
Posted By: booger

Re: See anything fishy with this tag? - 12/10/14 09:45 PM

Quote:

Quote:

If this was a certian dealer in the southeast he would be forwarding all the emails to his lawyer to sue the lot of you for defaming his name and his product ... then go on to brag about how many people he claims to have won settlements against ...

From a certain standpoint, that would be understandable. There's sure a lot of people using a lot of threatening language over a car they have no interest in buying. Unless the price comes way down due to that fake fender tag, of course.

Re: See anything fishy with this tag? - 12/10/14 09:47 PM

Quote:

Quote:

seller needs to be called out on the fake tag, too bad for the uninformed future buyer of this car if they think the tag is original and legitimate.

Oh yeah Mike your post reminded me that it was Mike in NY who had the hemi dropped in sometime right before he died. I wasn't involved much at this point with Mike and the details of the build, but the guy he bought the engine from is a sort of well-known (cough, cough notorious) hemi guy from long island. you guys in the know can put the clues together, but if it were my car right now I'd tear down that engine completely and see whats what.

Re: See anything fishy with this tag? - 12/10/14 10:55 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

From a certain standpoint, that would be understandable. There's sure a lot of people using a lot of threatening language over a car they have no interest in buying. Unless the price comes way down due to that fake fender tag, of course.

Maybe you should go back and read the thread. I already said I offered the seller a lot more than the current bid on the auction. A lot more, so you statement is
Plus no one has made any Threatening language. If the seller was interested in finding out what the history of the car is it would have been a great help to listen to what he was being told. Again your post is really
Posted By: dan9

Re: See anything fishy with this tag? - 12/11/14 04:50 PM

On the "legality" of the fender tag would the last guy to own the car with the fake tag be responsible for it. Could he go back on the guy who bought the tag and placed it there? For the so-called possible uninformed future buyer would he have recourse on who installed the Hemi? These issues will get more cloudy in the future. If you read Hemmings there are a lot of Cobra replicas listed with very confusing wording. It would be interesting to see any real results of legal action and who would be left holding the bag. A stretch of the imagination is if we "restore" these cars and sell them, are we responsible if they have a catastropic failure causing injury to someone?
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: See anything fishy with this tag? - 12/11/14 06:45 PM

Quote:

A stretch of the imagination is if we "restore" these cars and sell them, are we responsible if they have a catastropic failure causing injury to someone?

I'm sure with the mindset today of not being responsible for your actions that the family of some nitwit that killed himself driving a car faster than the legal speed limit, showing off, or whatever, would hire a lawyer to sue the person that sold said nitwit the car he killed him/her self in.
Posted By: KISSAlien

Re: See anything fishy with this tag? - 12/11/14 07:53 PM

Quote:

On the "legality" of the fender tag would the last guy to own the car with the fake tag be responsible for it. Could he go back on the guy who bought the tag and placed it there? For the so-called possible uninformed future buyer would he have recourse on who installed the Hemi? These issues will get more cloudy in the future. If you read Hemmings there are a lot of Cobra replicas listed with very confusing wording. It would be interesting to see any real results of legal action and who would be left holding the bag. A stretch of the imagination is if we "restore" these cars and sell them, are we responsible if they have a catastropic failure causing injury to someone?

There is no such thing as an illegal fender tag. They are not covered by any laws that I am aware of so people can do what they want. That's why forums like this and the registries are so valuable.
Posted By: B5 Bee

Re: See anything fishy with this tag? - 12/12/14 05:27 PM

Fake tags may not be criminal but it's possible they can result in a civil suit.
Posted By: dan9

Re: See anything fishy with this tag? - 12/12/14 07:19 PM

This car may be an exception but if someone media blasts a car and repaints it how can anyone proven or sue someone for it being the "wrong" color? I would think in court you would have to prove that the old pics are of this car and the blue paint was the original color. With absence of any bs, ft or any trace of an original color I doubt a judge would find someone guilty of fraud. I don't think the seller realizes how passionate some people are about fender tags and that these people are trying to help. It is just inventory to him so I can see why he says he doesn't care.
Posted By: DAYCLONA

Re: See anything fishy with this tag? - 12/12/14 07:33 PM

Basically IF any civil/criminal action where to result over misrepresentation of said vehicle before/during/after it's sale/ownership/etc,...the one bringing forth suit, would have to show proof of intent, not a bunch of he said/he did, would have/could have, actual intent to defraud, and the actual "loss" one incurred, rather than a perceived loss

Basically it's a bunch of horse dodo regarding the fender tag, no one knows when, how, why, what for?, nor can they prove it...if one is so concerned about the "pedigree" of their investment, then they should spend the time/money to make sure their portfolio is sound in it's investments

Re: See anything fishy with this tag? - 12/12/14 08:27 PM

This thread was never meant to become an arm chair lawyer discussion. No one on here ever tried to slander anyone so it's not about that. Here is what it is about. I was very interested in buying this car but saw a fake fender tag. Part of doing my research on this car before the auction ended, brought me here where the truth came out about this car with pictures.

The truth revealed here, with this car's specific history, with pictures, was shared with the selling agency. Even after they were made aware of the truth and the facts, by more than one person, they chose to still stick to their original selling story now knowing it was incorrect.

The lesson to be learned here is one that is as old as mankind. Buyer beware and the truth shall set you free! The auction ended at $58,000 with a no sale. I made an offer much higher than this based on the information I was told by the seller, and good for me they declined it. So the Moparts conection was and continues to be a great asset to all of us. Thanks

Those who took this on a speculative legal mumbo jumbo direction just like to and Thanks again to all who made a helpful contribution. Carry on
Posted By: HEMICUDA

Re: See anything fishy with this tag? - 12/12/14 10:56 PM

It really is a big deal, especially if you’re a dealer and know better. It’s my understanding the law states punitive damages starts at 3 times the purchase price. It’s been a while since I’ve researched the exact verbiage, it does state the punitive damages as “punishment” to the seller. The dealer selling that convertible knew very well the car had serious problems long before the ebay auction was over.

http://www.shawlaws.com/carfraud.html

Re: See anything fishy with this tag? - 12/13/14 03:29 AM

I have one word to respond to your post. YEP!
© 2024 Moparts Forums