Moparts

Correct package shelf underlayment..

Posted By: HPMike

Correct package shelf underlayment.. - 10/02/14 03:27 PM

Finishing up a 69 Hemi Coronet R/T...

Does anyone know if the correct underlayment is available for the rear package shelf? The stuff they sell isn't close...

I dont have an original here to compare or I can probably come up with something close..

Seems like black fiber board around 1/8" thick...

Anyone?

MB
Posted By: Pynzo

Re: Correct package shelf underlayment.. - 10/02/14 04:09 PM

I have a piece of my original package shelf left and it has a black felt like material about an eighth of an inch thick on the bottom. It is scored in areas where optional equipment (defroster/speaker) cutouts would have attached.
Posted By: 71TA

Re: Correct package shelf underlayment.. - 10/02/14 09:39 PM

What is that stuff? The samples I've seen look like very soft black paperboard that tears easily like newspaper.

Jim Fillmore
Detroit Muscle Technologies

Re: Correct package shelf underlayment.. - 10/02/14 10:07 PM

I'm not sure but I can send you a piece. Feels like a cross between paper and felt.

Attached picture 8288614-image.jpg

Re: Correct package shelf underlayment.. - 10/03/14 02:50 PM

Felt paper

Re: Correct package shelf underlayment.. - 10/03/14 04:07 PM

Can your company reproduce it? I've purchased some of your gaskets and a gas tank pad before and they're top notch stuff. I'd definitely like to get a good package tray underpayment.

Re: Correct package shelf underlayment.. - 10/03/14 09:48 PM

That paper is made from unobtanium. Some materials are just not available anymore. I've been researching for 2 years to find a very similar material for that and for some other similar brown paper. The brown paper is called "brown asbestos felt". Yep the stuff on the firewall and kick panel insulation and the gas tank pads are asbestos. They have the big A in a circle logo from Armstrong. The same Armstrong flooring that went bankrupt because of asbestos insulation products and tile flooring.

I was actually in contact with a company today to see how they were coming with samples of my fake "brown asbestos felt" paper. If the samples look good I'll have to buy 1/4 semi load of the stuff for them to make it in qty. I asked if they can do a similar black version like your application.
© 2024 Moparts Forums