Moparts

Blacking the tail panel of a 69 Charger R/T

Posted By: Quicksmopars

Blacking the tail panel of a 69 Charger R/T - 09/05/14 02:40 AM

I'm blacking the tail panel of my 69 Charger R/T and would like to know the correct way to do so. Does someone have a factory picture they could post? Also, do the "L" shaped chrome pieces (part of the 3 piece tail panel trim) that go above the taillights receive a sliver of black paint?
Posted By: DAYCLONA

Re: Blacking the tail panel of a 69 Charger R/T - 09/05/14 07:03 AM

Attached picture 8261670-chargerblackouttailpanel.JPG
Posted By: DAYCLONA

Re: Blacking the tail panel of a 69 Charger R/T - 09/05/14 07:06 AM

just the inside edge gets painted black on each corner mldg and it tapers off towards the top just before the curve, the center trunk piece is left as polished, no black

Attached picture 8261671-chargertailpaneltrim.JPG
Posted By: MOPARMIKE69

Re: Blacking the tail panel of a 69 Charger R/T - 09/05/14 01:55 PM

Quote:

I'm blacking the tail panel of my 69 Charger R/T and would like to know the correct way to do so. Does someone have a factory picture they could post? Also, do the "L" shaped chrome pieces (part of the 3 piece tail panel trim) that go above the taillights receive a sliver of black paint?

Here is a 68 if it helps

Attached picture 8261747-IMG_1222.JPG
Posted By: gtx6970

Re: Blacking the tail panel of a 69 Charger R/T - 09/05/14 06:51 PM

It's organosol
And I do believe the L shaped mldgs as well as the mldg across the top also get a sliver of black paint.

FYI, this car I did NOT paint the mldgs in fear of having to deal with paint peeling back off of chrome in a year to make it look like crap. so I left them as plated

Attached picture 8261941-WP_20140710_026.jpg
Posted By: 1cuda

Re: Blacking the tail panel of a 69 Charger R/T - 09/06/14 12:11 AM

i need to take a closer look at my 69 r/t about the blackout on the moldings. it`s a st louis build and remember that st louis cars didn`t get organisol-they had low gloss satin black. mine is a tx9 black car so i need to...
thanx for the info.
all the best
frank.
Posted By: Quicksmopars

Re: Blacking the tail panel of a 69 Charger R/T - 09/06/14 12:41 AM

This was exactly the info I was looking for, thanks fellas.

I'm on the fence on whether to paint the "L" pieces. I know paint doesn't stick to chrome very well. If I do paint the "L" pieces, what color is the screw that mounts them? Plated or black?
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Blacking the tail panel of a 69 Charger R/T - 09/06/14 05:46 AM

If you scuff up the chrome lightly, the paint will stick. Either that or use Bulldog adhesion promoter.

Re: Blacking the tail panel of a 69 Charger R/T - 09/08/14 02:22 PM

Quote:

i need to take a closer look at my 69 r/t about the blackout on the moldings. it`s a st louis build and remember that st louis cars didn`t get organisol-they had low gloss satin black. mine is a tx9 black car so i need to...
thanx for the info.
all the best
frank.

Interesting Frank. What documentation do you have to prove this? Thanks
Posted By: 1cuda

Re: Blacking the tail panel of a 69 Charger R/T - 09/08/14 03:26 PM

take a look at the factory drawing posted by dayclona and in the red box it clearly says st louis cars to have sx9 low gloss enamel not organosol -it is also eliminated on dark colors BUT a few original paint cars have surfaced with blackouts which should not have been there.
mine is a very unmolested car and i need to take a closer look at it because i didn`t know that the moldings had black on them-i`m still in e body mode but one day...
all the best
frank.

Re: Blacking the tail panel of a 69 Charger R/T - 09/08/14 05:05 PM

Thanks, good to know.
Posted By: hemi68charger

Re: Blacking the tail panel of a 69 Charger R/T - 09/08/14 05:20 PM

If you are wanting to do it yourself and don't have a lot of painting tools, try the Totally Auto Orgasinol. I used it on my '69 Daytona last month and it came out fairly well if I do say so. I just took off the molding, the "Charger" script, taillamps and key lock cylinder. Then I scuffed it, applied a good metal primer that laid down well and finally applied the paint using continuous spray patterns from one end to the next. Oh, make sure you mask off things..

masked up

Attached picture 8264435-orgasinol_1.jpg
Posted By: hemi68charger

Re: Blacking the tail panel of a 69 Charger R/T - 09/08/14 05:23 PM

done... for the price of the can of Orgasinol...

Attached picture 8264438-orgasinol_done.jpg
Posted By: gold1950

Re: Blacking the tail panel of a 69 Charger R/T - 09/24/14 02:29 AM

Interesting....
Where did you buy the Organisol in a rattle can ?

Thanks for the info.
© 2024 Moparts Forums