Moparts

Bellhousing Dowel Pins - Which Ones

Posted By: RoadRunner

Bellhousing Dowel Pins - Which Ones - 07/14/14 04:52 AM

I have a new block that has no pins to align the bell housings. Is there a good source for these pins? I recall that some of the pins are 0.500" diameter but the Hemi uses a smaller size. Also, if I have no base line for centering, is there a recommendation for offset pins?

Thanks.
Posted By: ScottSmith_Harms

Re: Bellhousing Dowel Pins - Which Ones - 07/14/14 05:12 AM

RobbMc's are great! I just used some for my 340 project. I did have to modify mine because the holes drilled in my factory bell don't go all the way through and the pins are longer than the holes are deep. It would have been easy to just drill the holes on through but I wanted to retain the original details so I used a dremel tool with a small cut off wheel and cut my dowels about 1/4" shorter on the bell housing end.

Also used the Browell Bell Housing Alignment tool and it made the job a whole lot easier.
Browell Tool Here

Attached picture 8207709-RobbMcPerformanceAdjustableDowels.jpg

Re: Bellhousing Dowel Pins - Which Ones - 07/14/14 05:20 AM

Here's my bell install. Keep in mind that if you use the Browell tool you'll need to specify the size of your bell housing bearing retainer hole so they can sell you the correct size ring.

Attached picture 8207717-Step2.jpg

Re: Bellhousing Dowel Pins - Which Ones - 07/14/14 05:21 AM

The Browell unit showing both Mopar input rings

Attached picture 8207718-BrowellRings.jpg
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: Bellhousing Dowel Pins - Which Ones - 07/14/14 12:37 PM

Quote:

Also used the Browell Bell Housing Alignment tool and it made the job a whole lot easier.
Browell Tool Here

I imagine that tool isn't cheap?

Re: Bellhousing Dowel Pins - Which Ones - 07/14/14 02:46 PM

Around $120.00. What I like about it is that you don't have to rotate the engine a bunch of times like when using a dial indicator. It's a Go/No Go gauge, once the ring will slide into the bearing retainer hole all the way, you are within spec and good to go. It can still take several attempts of dowel adjustments and removing/reinstalling the bell, but it will usually go quicker than using the gauges and it's fool proof once you are in spec.

Re: Bellhousing Dowel Pins - Which Ones - 07/14/14 05:48 PM

Cheaper than I was expecting , I guess if you are doing a bunch of installs with non matching engine/bellhousings its money well spent.
Posted By: charge70

Re: Bellhousing Dowel Pins - Which Ones - 07/14/14 06:37 PM

I guess if your doing an automatic,you still have to do it the old tried and true way. John.

Re: Bellhousing Dowel Pins - Which Ones - 07/14/14 09:32 PM

Quote:

I guess if your doing an automatic,you still have to do it the old tried and true way. John.

No one does autos unless one is using an ultra bell , I did an ultrabell to Powerglide , what a nightmare. The factory uses a flexplate for a reason ...

But an automatic can be done, to do it the right way would be to indicate off the bushing in the front pump bolted to an empty case.
Posted By: RealWing

Re: Bellhousing Dowel Pins - Which Ones - 07/15/14 03:10 AM

Quote:

Around $120.00. What I like about it is that you don't have to rotate the engine a bunch of times like when using a dial indicator. It's a Go/No Go gauge, once the ring will slide into the bearing retainer hole all the way, you are within spec and good to go. It can still take several attempts of dowel adjustments and removing/reinstalling the bell, but it will usually go quicker than using the gauges and it's fool proof once you are in spec.

HI Scott

That tool is probably fine for checking radial misalignment but will not accurately indicate if you have an axial misalignment. I had to shim my BH between the BH and block to bring the face squareness to < 0.006"
Both must be within spec and I found you must correct the axial misalignment first to get that face square to the block and then bring the radial within spec. (ie when you shim the BH, it directly affects the radial alignment)
Jim

Re: Bellhousing Dowel Pins - Which Ones - 07/15/14 03:53 AM

I heard that as well Wing, and I checked mine prior and it was in spec so nothing needed in my case.
Posted By: RealWing

Re: Bellhousing Dowel Pins - Which Ones - 07/15/14 04:20 AM

Quote:

I heard that as well Wing, and I checked mine prior and it was in spec so nothing needed in my case.

Great!!
Posted By: RoadRunner

Re: Bellhousing Dowel Pins - Which Ones - 07/15/14 02:54 PM

RobbMCs will be ordered. I will order a set of 007 and 014s. I need a set of stock (no offset) too. I did not see those on RobbMC site. Any idea on sourcing those? Again, I have a new block with no pins so I don't have a baseline to go from.

Re: Bellhousing Dowel Pins - Which Ones - 07/15/14 03:42 PM

One reason I checked my alignment was that I had a new Resto 340 block, an original bell housing, and a new Passon trans. Too many variables to risk it. I ended up using the .007 pins and got mine corrected. Most stock bells/blocks Ive checked were within factory tolerances.
Posted By: 64dodge572

Re: Bellhousing Dowel Pins - Which Ones - 07/15/14 05:00 PM

Stock dowels:

http://www.brewersperformance.com/proddetail.asp?prod=DP532
Posted By: 68KillerBee

Re: Bellhousing Dowel Pins - Which Ones - 07/15/14 08:21 PM

Quote:

RobbMc's are great! I just used some for my 340 project. I did have to modify mine because the holes drilled in my factory bell don't go all the way through and the pins are longer than the holes are deep. It would have been easy to just drill the holes on through but I wanted to retain the original details so I used a dremel tool with a small cut off wheel and cut my dowels about 1/4" shorter on the bell housing end.

Browell Tool Here

Does the tool fit well where it attaches to the block? Had to send the first one back bc it was the wrong size. Then got a replacement from us measuring the diameter and now it's a bit loose. So this tool could be useless if we can't get it onto the block straight.

Re: Bellhousing Dowel Pins - Which Ones - 07/15/14 09:27 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Browell Tool Here

Does the tool fit well where it attaches to the block? Had to send the first one back bc it was the wrong size. Then got a replacement from us measuring the diameter and now it's a bit loose. So this tool could be useless if we can't get it onto the block straight.

I thought that tool bolted to the crank flange ?

Re: Bellhousing Dowel Pins - Which Ones - 07/15/14 11:54 PM

The bowling pin deal bolted up nicley to my crank. There is a recess in the pin that accepts the torque converter hub on the crank which it centers on.
Posted By: HemiRick

Re: Bellhousing Dowel Pins - Which Ones - 07/20/14 12:26 PM

Wow thanks for posting pics of this tool, I'm ordering one ASAP
Posted By: 68KillerBee

Re: Bellhousing Dowel Pins - Which Ones - 07/20/14 12:51 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Browell Tool Here

I thought that tool bolted to the crank flange ?

This is just what my old man told me. Hopefully he got the transmission in last night. I get to fill it with fluid and attach the linkage. Gonna go work on it now.
© 2024 Moparts Forums