Moparts

Correct air cleaner for a 69 Charger R/T SE?

Posted By: BB70DUSTER

Correct air cleaner for a 69 Charger R/T SE? - 07/12/14 02:10 AM

Title says it all... What's the correct air cleaner housing for a 69 Charger R/T-SE 440? I've seen pics with the unsilenced air cleaner, and pics with the dual snorkel style...
Posted By: gtx6970

Re: Correct air cleaner for a 69 Charger R/T SE? - 07/12/14 02:18 AM

Dual snorkle if Cal emmissions.

Unsilenced for everywhere else

Re: Correct air cleaner for a 69 Charger R/T SE? - 07/12/14 02:27 AM

How would I know? I have the build sheet, didn't see anything on the build sheet showing/saying CA emissions...

Re: Correct air cleaner for a 69 Charger R/T SE? - 07/12/14 02:43 AM

That part of the build sheet is a bit rough...

Attached picture 8205490-IMG_20140614_193758_810-1.jpg
Posted By: hemi71x

Re: Correct air cleaner for a 69 Charger R/T SE? - 07/12/14 02:49 AM

Quote:

How would I know? I have the build sheet, didn't see anything on the build sheet showing/saying CA emissions...

Another way to tell if you have an original California car, is by looking to see if the car has the original carburetor, and distributor on it.
Check the numbers, decode the numbers, and see if they are for California or not.
But if things have been replaced in the past 40 + years, that won't help you out any.
Posted By: RUNCHARGER

Re: Correct air cleaner for a 69 Charger R/T SE? - 07/12/14 02:53 AM

Doesn't it change with A/C or not as well?

Sheldon

Re: Correct air cleaner for a 69 Charger R/T SE? - 07/12/14 02:58 AM

Carb and Dist have been changed... And mine is a A/C car...

Re: Correct air cleaner for a 69 Charger R/T SE? - 07/12/14 03:09 AM

Quote:

Look on your build sheet to find the numbers in the box, under CARB.
Those numbers are the codes for the original carburetor that the car was born with.
Someone that knows how to decode the numbers on a build sheet can tell what the original equipment was.
Sorry, but I'm not a broadcast sheet decoder, and can't help you out any further.

Re: Correct air cleaner for a 69 Charger R/T SE? - 07/12/14 03:17 AM

Carb looks like "92"

Attached picture 8205537-IMG_20140614_193754_044-1.jpg

Re: Correct air cleaner for a 69 Charger R/T SE? - 07/12/14 03:25 AM

Quote:

Carb looks like "92"

Ok.
Now you need to find a member that can tell you if that coded out for a "California" carburetor, or other 49.
Carter, or Holley, then you can go from there in figuring out if you have a California car, and the air cleaner that came on it.
I just sold a round, unsilenced one, here locally, for $200.00
Posted By: fastmark

Re: Correct air cleaner for a 69 Charger R/T SE? - 07/12/14 04:38 AM

The unsilenced one looks like this, if that is what you need. Pm me if you need one.

Attached picture 8205611-68chargerhornsandaircleaner014.JPG
Posted By: jt4406

Re: Correct air cleaner for a 69 Charger R/T SE? *DELETED* - 07/12/14 01:19 PM

Post deleted by jt4406

Re: Correct air cleaner for a 69 Charger R/T SE? - 07/12/14 03:33 PM

Quote:

Carb looks like "92"

Those are the last 2 digits of the OE part number( need a parts book to indentify and I dont have mine handy )

And I ' don't think' there is a CA emissions carb application for 1969's . I think that is a 1970 and later thing.

But,

CA emissions will have N95 on the fender tag..
If no code,,,it's federal emissions car ( as shown )

Attached picture 8205941-WP_20140704_030.jpg

Re: Correct air cleaner for a 69 Charger R/T SE? - 07/12/14 03:46 PM

This is only a guess.
But looking closely at your buildsheet. I am gonna guess it's a federal emissions car. I don't see any remnents of markings in the last box which is emissions pkg area. row 9 , section N .. all the way to the right ( edit - maybe thats fresh air box markings would be and not emissions pkg ????? )

Does the sheet show exhaust tips or not?
As I don't think tips were avail on CA cars

Re: Correct air cleaner for a 69 Charger R/T SE? - 07/12/14 05:16 PM

Quote:

Those are the last 2 digits of the OE part number( need a parts book to indentify and I dont have mine handy )

I have a 69 parts book, and i looked things up, as I'm curious about this air cleaner thing.
Last month i helped out a repair shop owner, in figuring out if they are working on a California 69 Charger, or a Federal 69 Charger.
A 440 R/T car.
That's who i sold the unsilenced air cleaner to.

Anyway, my parts book shows the last two digit numbers 92 R4392A to be for the center carburetor for a 6 pack set up.
So that doesn't work out here.

Chrysler part number 2946592 shows that number for two different Carter 4 bbl carbretors.
4618S without AC
4640S with AC
Both are listed as automatic transmission carburetors.

Well, I'm confused, so that's my on this post.
Jim V.

I just did some more poking around in Galen Govier's "white book" and it shows the 92 for the 4640S Carter carburetor.
But as another poster responded, i guess we can't tell if that Carter was for all 50 states, and not just for California.
Well, at least you now know what carb, your car was born with.
Posted By: autoxcuda

Re: Correct air cleaner for a 69 Charger R/T SE? - 07/12/14 05:17 PM

Quote:

This is only a guess.
But looking closely at your buildsheet. I am gonna guess it's a federal emissions car. I don't see any remnents of markings in the last box which is emissions pkg area. row 9 , section N .. all the way to the right ( edit - maybe thats fresh air box markings would be and not emissions pkg ????? )

Does the sheet show exhaust tips or not?
As I don't think tips were avail on CA cars

the tip deal really depends on year, motor, and model.
Posted By: Pynzo

Re: Correct air cleaner for a 69 Charger R/T SE? - 07/12/14 05:55 PM

http://www.tocmp.com/manuals/Carbs/Carter/Chrysler/1965-1979/pdf/Chrysler121-173.pdf
Here's the Carter Manuals check Form 5534A it covers '69 AVS'. The '70 and up shows which carbs were CAS or ECS but the '69 sheet only has 3 carbs for the 440, W/O AC S/T, W/O AC A/T, and W/AC A/T which would be a 4640S or SA. No differentiation for California cars. Hope this helps.

Re: Correct air cleaner for a 69 Charger R/T SE? - 07/13/14 07:24 AM

Its a A/C car...
Posted By: hemi70se

Re: Correct air cleaner for a 69 Charger R/T SE? - 07/13/14 03:47 PM

The Air cleaner difference has to do with the Calif NOISE REDUCTION Pkg Not the emissions pkg! I had a Cal. sold 69 440 Charger R/T that was 100% original. It had the dual snorkle air cleaner AND the turn down exhaust (NO CHROME TIPS)( the other part of the noise reduction pkg). If you want to know which Air cleaner you had just look for the "bright tips" code on the buildsheet OR look under the car for evidence of having them. All 69 R/T's came standard with the chrome tips except for the Cal. ones.

Re: Correct air cleaner for a 69 Charger R/T SE? - 07/13/14 07:53 PM

Nothing under N41 (dual exhaust w/o tips) so I assume it had the exhaust tips...

Attached picture 8207102-IMG_20140614_193758_810-2.jpg

Re: Correct air cleaner for a 69 Charger R/T SE? - 07/13/14 09:18 PM

Quote:

The Air cleaner difference has to do with the Calif NOISE REDUCTION Pkg Not the emissions pkg! I had a Cal. sold 69 440 Charger R/T that was 100% original. It had the dual snorkle air cleaner AND the turn down exhaust (NO CHROME TIPS)( the other part of the noise reduction pkg). If you want to know which Air cleaner you had just look for the "bright tips" code on the buildsheet OR look under the car for evidence of having them. All 69 R/T's came standard with the chrome tips except for the Cal. ones.

Yes, that's correct for the noise reduction package.
A few of us were trying to figure out other ways to determine California car, or other 49, by what other equipment is on the car, or isn't on the car.
Guess he's got it figured out by now.
All should be good, in the land of Dodge Chargers.
Posted By: charge70

Re: Correct air cleaner for a 69 Charger R/T SE? - 07/14/14 12:09 PM

Quote:

My brother and I bought a 69 Charger R/T project car many years ago.It was a 440,auto,a/c car. It was totally complete minus engine,all the bolt-on parts were in the trunk, and it had a dual snorkle air cleaner.I think it's the a/c option that makes the difference as to which air cleaner these cars get. John.
Posted By: hemi68charger

Re: Correct air cleaner for a 69 Charger R/T SE? - 07/14/14 01:25 PM

Quote:

Posted By: superbeedave

Re: Correct air cleaner for a 69 Charger R/T SE? - 07/15/14 02:20 AM

This may help you out!

http://www.nicksgarage.com/aircleaner.htm
Posted By: hemigeno

Re: Correct air cleaner for a 69 Charger R/T SE? - 07/29/14 01:56 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Carb looks like "92"

And I ' don't think' there is a CA emissions carb application for 1969's . I think that is a 1970 and later thing.

But,

CA emissions will have N95 on the fender tag..
If no code,,,it's federal emissions car ( as shown )

Bill's correct - "92" is the Broadcast Sheet code for 2946592, which is for 440/auto/AC cars like yours. FWIW, a 440/auto/non-AC would be coded for 2946581.

Bill's also correct that for 1969, there was no such thing as California Emissions. There was a Sales Code N97 denoting the "Noise Reduction Package", which was mandatory for all 383-4 and 440-4 A&B-body cars sold in California (I'll skip over C-bodies for now). Noise Reduction Package cars are the only such cars equipped with a dual-snorkel air cleaner, as the distributors & carbs did not change for California (yet) and having H51 Air Conditioning coded did not change the air cleaner housing. I'm not sure if N97 could be ordered on cars destined for sale outside California or not... the engineering charts list that sales code as an extra cost option so it's at least POSSIBLE, but it's not listed anywhere on the 1969 Confidential Price Bulletins (Charger, anyway).

If a car is coded for N97 Noise Reduction Package, a "7" will show up in the 36th character box from the left on Line 9 of the Broadcast Sheet... immediately to the LEFT of the box for N96 Carb Fresh Air Package (yes, it's counter-intuitive for this higher # to be listed before a lower #, but according to the edit dates on my paperwork, sales code N97 was created after the 1969 Broadcast Sheet form was established). I can't find anything which says N97 was to be stamped on the Fender Tag, but that's based on paperwork evidence and not real-world examples/patterns. Doug H. or Barry W. might be a better source for that info.

While I was digging through the pile of paperwork here, I searched for anything related to the meaning of N41 Dual Exhaust. Apparently, there is no passenger car application in 1969 which was "supposed" to use this code - including Chargers. There should not be any marks in that box even on a N97-coded car, at least according to what I've researched. Perhaps later years (or even trucks) did do something with that code?

Posted By: Triggerfish

Re: Correct air cleaner for a 69 Charger R/T SE? - 07/29/14 04:14 AM

My bro had a brand new R/T in 69 & it had the unsilenced cleaner
with the 440 mag pie tin. We swapped it for a Cal Custom with foam
filter that melted inside the Holley when it backfired.

Attached picture 8222891-prayyouhaveinsuranceweb..Hollyin69whis69RT.jpg
© 2024 Moparts Forums