Moparts

Bumper rechrome

Posted By: 67plymouthman

Bumper rechrome - 07/03/14 06:37 AM

Who is doing a good job rechroming bumper? My bumper is a bit rough and the local chroming business closed their doors a few months ago. What are you paying and what is the turn around time?

Thanks
Posted By: herkamer

Re: Bumper rechrome - 07/03/14 07:09 AM

They weren't that good anyway...

I am curious who else is in somewhat close proximity now that they folded up.

Free
Posted By: jose jones

Re: Bumper rechrome - 07/03/14 07:49 AM

about $340 each in Metro Phoenix
Posted By: Stanton

Re: Bumper rechrome - 07/03/14 02:38 PM

$340 each ... check to see if the "chrome" wipes off with paint thinner !!!

That's awfully damn cheap!

Re: Bumper rechrome - 07/03/14 02:45 PM

Were you happy with Phoenix Metro? $340 wasn't that cheap. Denver Bumper was $225- friend had a resale license.
Posted By: floridian

Re: Bumper rechrome - 07/03/14 02:56 PM

Ogden Chrome in Utah.... Not cheap but flawless...

$1100 for both of mine on car in pic

Attached picture 8196095-5554552-vertbaseball2.jpg
Posted By: 65pacecar

Re: Bumper rechrome - 07/03/14 04:04 PM

Tri City Plating in TN does nice work, if you go to the Nats they will be there and you can exchange the bumper and save the shipping cost.
Posted By: paris401

Re: Bumper rechrome - 07/03/14 04:30 PM

4get tri-city or any of the other guys... pauls in PA... end of story
Posted By: Silver70

Re: Bumper rechrome - 07/03/14 04:35 PM

I checked with a local place in sw PA... I ended up going with AMD bumpers because of the price.
Posted By: denfireguy

Re: Bumper rechrome - 07/03/14 08:51 PM

Quote:

Were you happy with Phoenix Metro? $340 wasn't that cheap. Denver Bumper was $225- friend had a resale license.

200 to 225 without a resale license at Denver Bumper but that was with little or no prep work required. Holes, deep scratches and dents cost a lot more. I held off long enough until they were a empty lot
Bumper Boyz comes to the swap meet at the Denver Coliseum every February. They deliver a lot of bumpers to area restorers. I could not examine their quality very close as they kept them in wraps. At least you can save some on shipping and on traveling east of the Mississippi for Nats.
Craig
Posted By: 65pacecar

Re: Bumper rechrome - 07/03/14 09:39 PM

Quote:

Quote:

200 to 225 without a resale license at Denver Bumper but that was with little or no prep work required. Holes, deep scratches and dents cost a lot more. I held off long enough until they were a empty lot
Bumper Boyz comes to the swap meet at the Denver Coliseum every February. They deliver a lot of bumpers to area restorers. I could not examine their quality very close as they kept them in wraps. At least you can save some on shipping and on traveling east of the Mississippi for Nats.
Craig

Bumper BoyZ is Horrible, terrible Quality. SuckZ
Posted By: rick@laysons

Re: Bumper rechrome - 07/03/14 09:48 PM

Kansas Bumper & Body Parts Inc

1801 S Mead St
Wichita, KS 67211
(316) 262-0500

These guys do GOOD work!!!!! Turn-a-round time is more than reasonable, prices are fair, and the quality of the workmanship is very nice.
Posted By: BarrsRestoration

Re: Bumper rechrome - 07/04/14 04:46 AM

I've used Tri-City for years (they just finished 5 more for me) and no complaints. No waviness, choppy surface or crusty edges. No rust or ugly backsides. I always get back the bumper I provide with flawless finishes, plus a life-time warranty.

Sitting in front of Tri-City, truck loaded and ready to go!

Attached picture 8196883-049.JPG
Posted By: Dan Halen

Re: Bumper rechrome - 07/04/14 01:50 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Craig

Bumper BoyZ is Horrible, terrible Quality. SuckZ

I don't buy from ANYBODY with "Boyz" in their name.
Posted By: cdp

Re: Bumper rechrome - 07/04/14 04:29 PM

Another vote for tri-city plating! Just sent a bumper for a 56 jag to them. They've done 3 other sets for me. 71 RR, 69 RR, and 70 Dart, also my friends 70 AMX.

Around 425 each, shipped. I simply send a bare bumper via post office for about $30 in just shrink wrap. they hate me, but Tri-city told its the cheapest way to send prior to plating.

Chris

Re: Bumper rechrome - 07/04/14 05:19 PM

Only in Colorado where you can legally buy marijuana and can't get a bumper rechromed...
Posted By: Pacnorthcuda

Re: Bumper rechrome - 07/04/14 06:11 PM

Quote:

Only in Colorado where you can legally buy marijuana and can't get a bumper rechromed...

Good point. In Seattle you can do both, but each one will cost dearly. 8 years ago a cuda rear bumper re chrome cost me $700.

News reports are now saying that pot drug dealers will still be in business because legal pot will be extremely expensive. (And no, I don't partake)
Posted By: RSNOMO

Re: Bumper rechrome - 07/04/14 06:53 PM

Quote:

8 years ago a cuda rear bumper re chrome cost me $700.

That's insane...

I'd have to twist one up after seeing that bill...
Posted By: AARCONV

Re: Bumper rechrome - 07/04/14 06:57 PM

driver quality and cheap price..bumper boys ..
quality work..go elsewhere..
if your old one is straight as an arrow, re chrome it at a quality place..bumper boys has everyone's dented, bent twisted ones redone..something to think about..
Posted By: RJS

Re: Bumper rechrome - 07/04/14 09:42 PM

In a couple of days mine will be back from Tri City and I'll let you know!!
Ron
Posted By: RoadRunner

Re: Bumper rechrome - 07/05/14 03:56 AM

Quote:

4get tri-city or any of the other guys... pauls in PA... end of story

Do places like Pauls also remove dents. I have a bumper on my 68 that is very nice except for a dent on one corner. I was thinking about sending the bumper out for rechrome versus replacement.
Posted By: cdp

Re: Bumper rechrome - 07/05/14 06:47 AM

My A12 rear bumper was damaged and had a hole in it for a wiring plug in. Tri city straitened and repaired the hole, and now looks brand new. I always try and use an original and have it rechromed.

The new replacement bumpers won't hold up to exhaust fumes, etc, very well. Especially since most of our cars had tips.
Posted By: 340cpe

Re: Bumper rechrome - 07/05/14 12:57 PM

Tri-City is the only way to go for bumpers, excellent workmanship and lifetime warranty. Paul's for everything else including pot metal. Free estimate before work is started and end results are flawless.
Posted By: curbman68

Re: Bumper rechrome - 07/05/14 02:51 PM

Has anyone used Northstar Plating in MN since Keystone took them over? I know they used to be excellent, wondering if the quality is still the same.

Re: Bumper rechrome - 07/05/14 03:34 PM

Is Northstar now called Classic Bumper Repairs in Brainerd, MN? I called Ogden and they wanted $700 after I described the bumpers condition. I called a place out of Tuscon and they said $350 then I described the bumper and they want pictures. I called Witchita, who Layson's recommended and they are part of Keystone and send their bumpers to Minnesota. I will call Tri-City Monday.

What about the place in California-not bumper boyz? I wonder if they are still around?
Posted By: hemirdrnnr

Re: Bumper rechrome - 07/06/14 03:41 PM

Tri-city did mine and I love them!!!!!
Posted By: hotairballoonpilot

Re: Bumper rechrome - 07/07/14 06:17 AM

Quote:

Has anyone used Northstar Plating in MN since Keystone took them over? I know they used to be excellent, wondering if the quality is still the same.

That's who we send ours through. We send them through our local jobber Auto Body Specialties out of Sioux Falls SD. Usually 10-12 week turn around. Prices vary on size of bumpers. Have had them fully straightened and dents taken out but if there are weak spots or crust issues it's extra. Naturally if the bumpers are twisted and not a good starting point I'm sure it's extra. Ones I've sent there have been ones like just needing usual rechroming. Have sent ones that have needed holes welded up that didn't get charged for. Never had any issues with quality on any. I bet we have sent over 20 sets there over the last 20 years with no issues.
Posted By: mosweethemi

Re: Bumper rechrome - 07/07/14 07:08 AM

HELLO TRY-CITY IS THE BEST RECHROME BUMPERS YOU CAN GET.ALWAYS STANDS BY THERE WORK . THE LAST 10 CARS HAS TRY-CITY BUMPERS ON THEM AND I,AM PICKING UP TWO THIS WEEK AT CARLISLE AGAIN. MY VOTE IS TRY-CITY A REAL MOPAR MAN
Posted By: paris401

Re: Bumper rechrome - 07/07/14 04:16 PM

Quote:

bumper boys has everyone's dented, bent twisted ones redone..something to think about..

in my experience so does tri-city... took us '3' tries to get a bumper that was reasonably straight... will add their customer service is A1... took the 1st 2 back without any problem, n they paid the shipping...
Posted By: denfireguy

Re: Bumper rechrome - 07/07/14 10:34 PM

Tri City in Elizabethton is only 1,444 miles from here. Or 21 hours of driving time. Carlisle is a mere 1600 miles away. The cost of plating will be minor compared to the cost of shipping them.
And if they are not good and have to be sent back, the turnaround time will be well into next winter.
That is why we were looking for another option that was just a little closer.
At least the Ogden Chrome prices include shipping in both directions.

Re: Bumper rechrome - 07/07/14 11:24 PM

Just received my bumpers back from Tri City. 1972 Plymouth SSP.
These are by far the nicest set I've ever seen from them and from a chromer in general.
Granted they are my original bumpers and the car was a California car but it also spent some years in Minnesota.
They had to fix a half dollar dent in the rear one and that came out perfect also.
Cost was $800 plus $80 shipping back to me.
Ron
Posted By: 70440+6bbl

Re: Bumper rechrome - 07/08/14 08:09 PM

Quote:

These are by far the nicest set I've ever seen from them and from a chromer in general.
Granted they are my original bumpers and the car was a California car but it also spent some years in Minnesota.
They had to fix a half dollar dent in the rear one and that came out perfect also.
Ron

That is good news Ron, I'm picking up my original '71 GTX set this weekend at Carlisle. They are also an original Cali pair, that were straight as an arrow.

Re: Bumper rechrome - 07/08/14 08:35 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Ron

That is good news Ron, I'm picking up my original '71 GTX set this weekend at Carlisle. They are also an original Cali pair, that were straight as an arrow.

I could have got them at Carlisle but won't be able to make the show.
For $80 to ship it was worth it to me.
I hope your's are as nice as this set, you'll be happy!
Ron
Posted By: Aero426

Re: Bumper rechrome - 07/08/14 08:47 PM

Quote:

I don't buy from ANYBODY with "Boyz" in their name.

© 2024 Moparts Forums