Moparts

Restoring tranny finish

Posted By: Moparnut426

Restoring tranny finish - 06/09/14 11:50 PM

I know these guys weren't painted, unless they were teal like some special HPP trucks, stuff like that,

With that said Im restoring/rebuilding the 727 for VETT1986's charger. Ive scrubbed it really well with soft wire brush, and solvent, then I used purple cleaner, and a light wheel acid and it came out pretty good, but up top, where you wont see it, there are some stains from some grease. I cant seem to get it off,

What are you guys using to clean the aluminum to look NEW cast looking?

Kasey
Posted By: Pynzo

Re: Restoring tranny finish - 06/09/14 11:56 PM

Try some Metyl Ethyl Ketone. That stuff will break up any grease. Do it in a very well ventilated area. I've used it on Harley engine and tranny cases with good results. You can get Kleen Strip brand substiute at Home Depot.

Attached picture 8170858-image.jpg

Re: Restoring tranny finish - 06/10/14 01:59 AM

Does it attack the aluminum
Posted By: ScottSmith_Harms

Re: Restoring tranny finish - 06/10/14 03:45 AM

No it won't attack aluminum. Another good way to clean bare aluminum without harming the finish is soda blasting
Posted By: kentj340

Re: Restoring tranny finish - 06/10/14 06:42 AM

Cheap DIY soda blaster:

http://www.aircooledtech.com/tools-on-the-cheap/soda_blaster/
Posted By: CompSyn

Re: Restoring tranny finish - 06/10/14 06:55 AM

Quote:

Cheap DIY soda blaster:

http://www.aircooledtech.com/tools-on-the-cheap/soda_blaster/

I used this DIY method on an aluminum distributor housing. It worked great, but I can't imagine trying it on a larger scale, like for a transmission.
Posted By: FJR doc

Re: Restoring tranny finish - 06/10/14 02:02 PM

What have folks been using on the aluminum afterwards to prevent oxidation? I'm concerned that a clear coat might yellow.

Re: Restoring tranny finish - 06/10/14 03:53 PM

That's AWESOME!!

Ill be doing that.

Trannys almost done, so Ill put a plug in the tail shaft, tape all the holes up, and put an old converter in it, and go at it. I like that Idea~~
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Restoring tranny finish - 06/11/14 03:28 AM

I've been using RPM from ECS Automotive Concepts on all of my bare metal parts which seems to prevent oxidation with rust or the white crust oxidation that aluminum usually does. Great product!

http://www.ecsautomotive.com/rpm.php
Posted By: chrisf

Re: Restoring tranny finish - 06/11/14 07:35 AM

as a soda blaster I can tell you that soda will not remove stains. at least my $10,000 blaster wont. soda isn't abrasive so it will not cut into the stain.
if its discolored before it will be after blasting. blocks wheels and trans cases allways come out the same with anything I have done.

Re: Restoring tranny finish - 06/11/14 02:18 PM

Would a 2K clear satin finish hold up better on a transmission after it has been thoroughly cleaned?
Posted By: dynorad

Re: Restoring tranny finish - 06/11/14 04:46 PM

I also used RPM. The surface still looks fresh after a year and a half.

Re: Restoring tranny finish - 06/11/14 04:51 PM

I've used RPM on many other parts in my resto project. I'm sure that it will darken the aluminum color somewhat.
Posted By: billohio

Re: Restoring tranny finish - 06/11/14 07:04 PM

I tried brake cleaner but had better results with oven cleaner.
I am also on my 2nd can of RPM
Posted By: MCTPhoenix

Re: Restoring tranny finish - 06/13/14 11:51 PM

After you clean the surface, by glass beading or other means, try an adhesion promoter like Bulldog then flattened clear over it
Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: Restoring tranny finish - 06/14/14 07:51 PM

Quote:

Ill put a plug in the tail shaft, tape all the holes up, and put an old converter in it, and go at it. I like that Idea~~

Good luck with that, from my experience blasting media will get in somehow.
Posted By: ACR2000

Re: Restoring tranny finish - 06/15/14 03:31 PM

Cast paint

Attached picture 8176773-Photo077.jpg
Posted By: Sxrxrnr

Re: Restoring tranny finish - 06/16/14 11:19 AM

If you want it perfect, these guys offer the service but is costly. Only for the most anal of us. Talk to Mark or Tom.

http://www.campbellautorestoration.com
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: Restoring tranny finish - 06/16/14 10:38 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Ill put a plug in the tail shaft, tape all the holes up, and put an old converter in it, and go at it. I like that Idea~~

Good luck with that, from my experience blasting media will get in somehow.

© 2024 Moparts Forums