Moparts

1970 Superbee with an unusual color combo.

Posted By: Choppintime

1970 Superbee with an unusual color combo. - 05/23/14 12:00 AM

Buddy of mine has an unusual color combo '70 Superbee. Car is originally 383 - 4 speed in FK5 and burnt orange gut. That's not the strange part, fender tag show V6B for a Ledger Blue 'C' stripe. Has to be rare, not good looking in my opinion, but rare.

Fender tag shows Y16 as well, so it looks like someone at Dodge ordered this as a sales bank car.

Anyone have any pictures of FK5 with V6B?
Posted By: krisiesmopes

Re: 1970 Superbee with an unusual color combo. - 05/23/14 12:05 AM

"Sorry for the small picture, but thought you would like to see only known BLUE "C" striped Bee! (in unrestored condition). V6B was also available on EB3, EB5, EB7, & TX9."

Quote from Andy's 440 site.

Posted By: flypaper

Re: 1970 Superbee with an unusual color combo. - 05/23/14 12:10 AM

Quote:

i think a pic of your buddy's car is your best chance of that happening!

Re: 1970 Superbee with an unusual color combo. - 05/23/14 12:11 AM

Let me see if my buddy can post a pic of the stripe ( faded to white but you can still see the blue). I double checked the fender tag thinking the 'B' was an '8'.....it isn't.

Was it 'allowed' on this car because it's a sales bank car, ordered right from corporate?
Posted By: U_Code_Cuda

Re: 1970 Superbee with an unusual color combo. - 05/23/14 12:14 AM

Car is still wearing it's original paint and the stripe is faded...

Attached picture 8152727-image.jpg

Re: 1970 Superbee with an unusual color combo. - 05/23/14 12:17 AM

Attached picture 8152733-image.jpg

Re: 1970 Superbee with an unusual color combo. - 05/23/14 12:31 AM

I will post a picture of the fender tag tomorrow...
Posted By: 70VcodeCoronetRT

Re: 1970 Superbee with an unusual color combo. - 05/23/14 01:15 AM

Now that is an odd color combo. But that's what makes it so cool. Is he restoring it?

Re: 1970 Superbee with an unusual color combo. - 05/23/14 01:25 AM

Quote:

Now that is an odd color combo. But that's what makes it so cool. Is he restoring it?

Very odd.

No on the restoration. But I hope somebody will....
Posted By: BleedDodge

Re: 1970 Superbee with an unusual color combo. - 05/23/14 01:25 AM

I see the tops of the inside door panels are white, hmmm.. Odd that it would have a blue stripe but cool nonetheless. Would be neat to see a photo of that car how it came new just to see how well it may have looked. I hope your buddy fixes it, these are awesome cars. Post more photos if you're able.

Re: 1970 Superbee with an unusual color combo. - 05/23/14 01:31 AM

The stripes do look white in those pictures. They are faded, but you can see the blue hue in person. He said he will get better pictures tomorrow and a fender tag shot.
Posted By: ph23vo

Re: 1970 Superbee with an unusual color combo. - 05/23/14 01:41 AM

Quote:

The stripes do look white in those pictures. They are faded, but you can see the blue hue in person. He said he will get better pictures tomorrow and a fender tag shot.

they should NOT be faded under the side marker but still look white like the rest of it...

Re: 1970 Superbee with an unusual color combo. - 05/23/14 01:47 AM

I would be the owner...I am second guessing weather I should move the car or do a full restoration. The car needs a lot of work! It is an original 383 4-speed N96 car with this very odd color combo... Here is another pic that might show the blue better...

Thanks,

Attached picture 8152868-image.jpg
Posted By: coronetgirl

Re: 1970 Superbee with an unusual color combo. - 05/23/14 01:47 AM

Quote:

Buddy of mine has an unusual color combo '70 Superbee. Car is originally 383 - 4 speed in FK5 and burnt orange gut. That's not the strange part, fender tag show V6B for a Ledger Blue 'C' stripe. Has to be rare, not good looking in my opinion, but rare.

Fender tag shows Y16 as well, so it looks like someone at Dodge ordered this as a sales bank car.

Was this car on Ebay a month or so ago?

Re: 1970 Superbee with an unusual color combo. - 05/23/14 01:54 AM

I agree but I think that would also depend on how long the side markers have been off. I'm guessing some time. Like I said, does have a blue hue to it.

Re: 1970 Superbee with an unusual color combo. - 05/23/14 01:57 AM

Yeah,

I bought the car on a whim because I love 70 Bee's but, I do not think I have another full blown restoration in me!
I am just finishing up my Demon....
Posted By: coronetgirl

Re: 1970 Superbee with an unusual color combo. - 05/23/14 02:05 AM

Quote:

Yeah,

I bought the car on a whim because I love 70 Bee's but, I do not think I have another full blown restoration in me!

Figured it was with the color combo. I have seen pics of blue and white ones with the V6B stripe, but that was the first one in that combo I had seen.
Posted By: Slant6pak

Re: 1970 Superbee with an unusual color combo. - 05/23/14 05:26 AM

That car is awesome!

I've always been a fan of Burnt Orange 1970 cars, and the oddball blue stripe makes it that much cooler. I hope that one gets restored.

Please don't part it out.

Tell you what, I'll trade you some '71 Charger parts I'm trying to get rid off if you will bring the car down to Texas to me
Posted By: 318 Stroker

Re: 1970 Superbee with an unusual color combo. - 05/23/14 05:35 AM

Quote:

Yeah,

I love odd colors combinations, and yours takes the cake.. I'm just having trouble wrapping my head around that one...
Posted By: GuruRanger

Re: 1970 Superbee with an unusual color combo. - 05/23/14 05:37 AM

I had a '70 Super Bee, B5 blue with the light blue C-stripe and white bench interior, 383, 4 speed car. It was black with a gold C-stripe when I had it, then my friend bought it and painted it gray with a white stripe. I've seen two others out there that were B5 with the light blue C-stripe. Here's a picture of the car in 1979, long before I got it. The car was sold new at the long-defunct Strausbaugh Dodge in Youngstown, OH. A lot of locals remember the car.

Attached picture 8153081-154895_414145252007846_1138946621_n.jpg
Posted By: 6bblgt

Re: 1970 Superbee with an unusual color combo. - 05/23/14 06:09 AM

Is it a Lynch Rd. "WM23N0A" Super Bee?

Re: 1970 Superbee with an unusual color combo. - 05/23/14 05:19 PM

Hi,

The car actually was a St. Louis built car... Here is a pic of fender tag

Attached picture 8153386-image.jpg

Re: 1970 Superbee with an unusual color combo. - 05/23/14 05:22 PM

One of the stripe close up. the Florida sun took its toll on the stripe but, there is still a blue hue to the stripe...

Attached picture 8153390-image.jpg
Posted By: DPelletier

Re: 1970 Superbee with an unusual color combo. - 05/23/14 06:13 PM

1) good thing it wasn't a Lynch Rd. FT or it wouldn't have the stripe on it.

2) very cool and I'm sure, rare. Unfortunately no numbers exist on stripe colors AFAIK, never mind in combination with paint colors

3) This would be a very cool car if restored....I'd caution against making a direct correlation between rarety of the stripe/color combo with finished car value...though it sounds like a great car in it's own right and I'm an FK5 fan.

Dave

Re: 1970 Superbee with an unusual color combo. - 05/23/14 06:20 PM

Odd duck & it's a G36 "dual painted mirror" Super Bee!
Posted By: 70440+6bbl

Re: 1970 Superbee with an unusual color combo. - 05/23/14 07:37 PM

Quote:

Yeah,

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1970-Dodge-Coron...=p2047675.l2557

Re: 1970 Superbee with an unusual color combo. - 05/23/14 07:56 PM

I purchased the car but, NOT thru ebay!...As you can see by the bid history and the seller trying to cancel all bids but, people kept coming back and bidding at the last seconds....I paid a lot more then $800 plus paid to have it shipped...
Posted By: Hemiruss

Re: 1970 Superbee with an unusual color combo. - 05/23/14 09:52 PM

I love that thing....I got a green Bee with a green stripe......But I love it.....but I'm cool like that...

Re: 1970 Superbee with an unusual color combo. - 05/23/14 11:36 PM

Wow!!! I love your car in green....I wish this one was as far along! I have been to Ft Myers a few times. How is the Lani Kai doing? I had a few memorable nights there!!

Attached picture 8153739-image.jpg

Re: 1970 Superbee with an unusual color combo. - 05/23/14 11:41 PM

Quote:

I love that thing....I got a green Bee with a green stripe......But I love it.....but I'm cool like that...

I know I've said it before but, nice!

Dave

Re: 1970 Superbee with an unusual color combo. - 05/23/14 11:46 PM

Quote:

Was it 'allowed' on this car because it's a sales bank car, ordered right from corporate?

The stripe and color combinations were "recommended" from my understanding and you (or the dealer) could order any color combo you wanted.

Dave
Posted By: fc7_plumcrazy

Re: 1970 Superbee with an unusual color combo. - 05/23/14 11:53 PM

it is a sales bank car.
Very odd that they choosed a colour combo which was not recommended

Carsten

Re: 1970 Superbee with an unusual color combo. - 05/24/14 12:39 AM

My first impression was...Boy was Dodge pissed at some dealer and just said let's see if they can sell this!!! Then my buddy stated that 70 Bees were one car that MaMopar really went crazy with in the color combos....also, they probable we're trying to get every color combo out that was available?

Attached picture 8153802-image.jpg
Posted By: 5carguy

Re: 1970 Superbee with an unusual color combo. - 05/24/14 12:39 AM

Quote:

Wow!!! I love your car in green....I wish this one was as far along! I have been to Ft Myers a few times. How is the Lani Kai doing? I had a few memorable nights there!!

Lani Ki is doing fine.It's on Ft Myers beach,been there many times.
Posted By: HPMike

Re: 1970 Superbee with an unusual color combo. - 05/24/14 01:27 AM

Looks like an ambitious project....but a cool find just the same...

Bizarre color combo, thats for sure....I always thought the FK5 looked great with white stripe(s)...

Go for it....

MB
Posted By: Diego (not Ted)

Re: 1970 Superbee with an unusual color combo. - 05/24/14 01:52 AM

Quote:

Then my buddy stated that 70 Bees were one car that MaMopar really went crazy with in the color combos....also, they probable we're trying to get every color combo out that was available?

IMHO It's not in the interest of the manufacturer to do anything other than build cars that people want. Perhaps a set were built with certain options to promote on the showroom, but companies didn't build cars in "every color combo" for its own sake.

FWIW, the stripes were available in black, white, green, blue, and red, which is similar to the selection of Brand X vehicles I can think of, so they were hardly going "crazy" with color combos. Later in the year, Dodge expanded the bumblebee choices for the Challenger, so it could be said Dodge went crazy in that regard, but since the stripe was paint and not a decal, Dodge already had the colors on the assembly line.
Posted By: Diego (not Ted)

Re: 1970 Superbee with an unusual color combo. - 05/24/14 08:23 AM

Y'know, I was telling a friend about this car and it occurred to me that if you squint and consider FK5 more of a brown, then it goes perfectly with blue.I think FK5 has too much red, but it may not be as strange as it sounds.
Posted By: new bee

Re: 1970 Superbee with an unusual color combo. - 05/24/14 04:21 PM

I think these two colors are compatible, and would love to see the car restored with the blue stripe intact.

Re: 1970 Superbee with an unusual color combo. - 05/24/14 06:20 PM

I would definitely be doing the blue stripe....but that will be a challenge because the last I checked there weren't any blue or light green repop stripes available. These days you could probably get one done up after jumping through some hoops.

Dave
Posted By: SixPackRT

Re: 1970 Superbee with an unusual color combo. - 05/24/14 06:45 PM

There are places out there that will make the stripe. I would have to look because I did research on this (I actually owned the white one above). The stripe color I believe is not uncommon, you just need to find someone that die-cuts correct C Stripes if I remember correctly. I did talk to someone though that would do it. I will try and find the info. Its been a while.

Scott
Posted By: MrNormsTA

Re: 1970 Superbee with an unusual color combo. - 05/24/14 06:51 PM

Cool car, but at the end of the day not too many people chomping at the bit to restore a 383 70 bee that needs so much.

I would go with plan B, take it to Carlisle, part it out and then sell the remaining carcass to the drunks across the way. :
Posted By: DAYCLONA

Re: 1970 Superbee with an unusual color combo. - 05/24/14 07:00 PM

Quote:

There are places out there that will make the stripe. I would have to look because I did research on this (I actually owned the white one above). The stripe color I believe is not uncommon, you just need to find someone that die-cuts correct C Stripes if I remember correctly. I did talk to someone though that would do it. I will try and find the info. Its been a while.

Scott

Any competent decal/automotive sign shop if fully equipped, can handle the chore, your best bet is to purchase a quality repro stripe that can be scanned, have a sample of the original stripe to match the material color, then the computer/tech do the rest, it comes down to how much you want to pay, and how many stripe sets you want made, I'd stick with 3M products for a quality product, I've had decals made for vehicles that range from full stripe sets, to custom multi colored decals, including translucent window style decals like scat pack bees, etc......I'm sure even talking to Dave Patik at Performance car Graphics, a custom set could be produced....easy as pie, this is the least of your restoration woes
Posted By: Pynzo

Re: 1970 Superbee with an unusual color combo. - 05/24/14 07:17 PM

If you do decide on restoring it and find someone who'll make the stripe kit for you PLEASE let me know! My '70 Bee was a B7 car with white wraparound stripe. That light blue C would look awesome.

Re: 1970 Superbee with an unusual color combo. - 05/24/14 07:18 PM

Quote:

Cool car, but at the end of the day not too many people chomping at the bit to restore a 383 70 bee that needs so much.

I would go with plan B, take it to Carlisle, part it out and then sell the remaining carcass to the drunks across the way. :

Oh believe me don't think that did not cross my mind! But, I did not want to start another feud between you and your partner again!

Anyway, after finding out the rarity of this car I probable will take the high road and move it...and I know rarity does not always equal desirable but, this car maybe a true one of one and deserves to be restored...
Posted By: Hemiruss

Re: 1970 Superbee with an unusual color combo. - 05/24/14 08:06 PM

I believe it's Phoenix Graphics in Tallahassee Fl. They used to advertise here....great people...
Posted By: VL21

Re: 1970 Superbee with an unusual color combo. - 05/24/14 08:55 PM

Quote:

it is a sales bank car.

Carsten

Most likely thing is that it was built as sold car, mistaken stripe put on it in the plant, and the dealer/customer refused to accept it, then it goes to the sales bank, where the usual procedure was for zone reps to try to find a dealer who would take it.

And if that failed, it would be shipped to a zone office for a sales or service rep to drive, get at least 500 miles on it, then discounted and try to move it to a dealer.

Sort of a last resort, it would go to a regional leasing sale (dealer auction), our (63436) most convenient one was in Laconia NH.

Re: 1970 Superbee with an unusual color combo. - 05/24/14 09:50 PM

Quote:

Quote:

it is a sales bank car.

Carsten

Most likely thing is that it was built as sold car, mistaken stripe put on it in the plant, and the dealer/customer refused to accept it, then it goes to the sales bank, where the usual procedure was for zone reps to try to find a dealer who would take it.

And if that failed, it would be shipped to a zone office for a sales or service rep to drive, get at least 500 miles on it, then discounted and try to move it to a dealer.

Sort of a last resort, it would go to a regional leasing sale (dealer auction), our (63436) most convenient one was in Laconia NH.

A "SOLD" car wouldn't have "Y16" on the fender tag!
Posted By: 69CoronetRT

Re: 1970 Superbee with an unusual color combo. - 05/25/14 12:02 AM

WAG....person that ordered the car had sloppy hand writing and put down an ugly "R". Person that keyed in the order wasn't paying attention and typed a "B". Guys on the line shrugged and said 'whatever'.
Posted By: hemi68charger

Re: 1970 Superbee with an unusual color combo. - 05/25/14 01:37 AM

Quote:

I had a '70 Super Bee, B5 blue with the light blue C-stripe and white bench interior, 383, 4 speed car. It was black with a gold C-stripe when I had it, then my friend bought it and painted it gray with a white stripe. I've seen two others out there that were B5 with the light blue C-stripe. Here's a picture of the car in 1979, long before I got it. The car was sold new at the long-defunct Strausbaugh Dodge in Youngstown, OH. A lot of locals remember the car.

That ia beautiful combination all the way around....... I would love to own a '70 like that...
Posted By: Andy440

Re: 1970 Superbee with an unusual color combo. - 05/25/14 04:46 AM

I would like to see this car saved. I'm sure you will never see another one like it. I have a 1970 Coronet R/T in the same color and it appears to have had a Red Bumble-Bee stripe originally. This Bee would draw a lot of attention at any Mopar car show.

Performance Car Graphics makes the stripe is the light blue, which they call "peacock blue"
http://www.performancecargraphics.com/Stripes_Lettering/Super_Bee/70_Quarter_C.htm

I hope somebody will save it. Let me know if you list it.

Andy
Posted By: Slant6pak

Re: 1970 Superbee with an unusual color combo. - 05/25/14 05:18 AM

Quote:

and I know rarity does not always equal desirable but, this car maybe a true one of one and deserves to be restored...

I agree, if you were closer, And I didn't have a legitimate fear of death/serious injury at the hands of a furious wife... I'd be seriously bugging you about selling that car to me.
Posted By: Pynzo

Re: 1970 Superbee with an unusual color combo. - 05/25/14 02:42 PM

Thanks for the link
Posted By: FJR doc

Re: 1970 Superbee with an unusual color combo. - 05/25/14 04:43 PM

It would be interesting if somebody could Photoshop this combination to see what it would look like without faded colors.
Posted By: rallye73

Re: 1970 Superbee with an unusual color combo. - 05/25/14 04:45 PM

Great find! I like the green car too. I've got a friend with a '70 v code Bee that's B7 outside and inside with the blue c stripe.
Posted By: hemi70se

Re: 1970 Superbee with an unusual color combo. - 05/25/14 05:47 PM

Quote:

WAG....person that ordered the car had sloppy hand writing and put down an ugly "R". Person that keyed in the order wasn't paying attention and typed a "B". Guys on the line shrugged and said 'whatever'.

You are on the right track!
IMO
sloppy order handwriting, they tried to write V68 for stripe delete and someone read it as V6B, so not intentionally built that way.

Re: 1970 Superbee with an unusual color combo. - 05/26/14 05:11 PM

Quote:

I would like to see this car saved. I'm sure you will never see another one like it. I have a 1970 Coronet R/T in the same color and it appears to have had a Red Bumble-Bee stripe originally. This Bee would draw a lot of attention at any Mopar car show.

Performance Car Graphics makes the stripe is the light blue, which they call "peacock blue"
http://www.performancecargraphics.com/Stripes_Lettering/Super_Bee/70_Quarter_C.htm

I hope somebody will save it. Let me know if you list it.

Andy

Good info Andy and good to hear from you. Did you ever restore your FK5 car?

Dave
Posted By: MONC

Re: 1970 Superbee with an unusual color combo. - 06/14/14 03:28 PM

Quote:

It would be interesting if somebody could Photoshop this combination to see what it would look like without faded colors.

Not the best pic, but it's what I could find...

Attached picture 8175907-Superbee.jpg

Re: 1970 Superbee with an unusual color combo. - 06/14/14 03:48 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Nice photoshop! granted I love 70 Coronets/SB/RT's and a big fan of the C stripe....but whew, blue on burnt orange, I don't think I could pull the trigger on returning it back to that combo, blue on blue, blue on black, blue on white, that's about it

Mike
Posted By: Plum440

Re: 1970 Superbee with an unusual color combo. - 06/14/14 04:21 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Nice photoshop! granted I love 70 Coronets/SB/RT's and a big fan of the C stripe....but whew, blue on burnt orange, I don't think I could pull the trigger on returning it back to that combo, blue on blue, blue on black, blue on white, that's about it

Mike

That would be tough one for me too...
Posted By: fc7_plumcrazy

Re: 1970 Superbee with an unusual color combo. - 06/15/14 11:50 PM

it would be very tough for me, too but it is on the other hand what makes the Bee special. Plenty of 383 Bees in FK5 with blk or white stripe out there.

So if someone wants to bring this rough Bee back it should get the stripe it had from the factory.

Otherwise it would be smarter to buy a done Bee instead.

Carsten
Posted By: SixPackRT

Re: 1970 Superbee with an unusual color combo. - 06/18/14 04:53 AM

Quote:

Mike

Yikes. Even though it might not really be that bright, I think you hit the color very good...Wow that's different. After seeing what it looks like I might consider something different. Wonder if there's something out there you could put on and remove easily. Problem with something like that is 99% of the population will be asking you why you did that. They wont understand that it is original. I'm never one to care what people think of what I drive, but I think I would get sick of the questions and explaining it to anyone who sees it.

Scott
Posted By: big-block-dave

Re: 1970 Superbee with an unusual color combo. - 06/18/14 06:04 AM

Quote:

Yeah, very rare to see dual painted mirrors on a B-body, but they look really good! I think they weren't available until March of '70?...I see this car has a SPD of 408 (April 8th).

I have a pair off a '70 Coronet 500, if someones gotta have them i'll sell them, not cheap.

BTW i think the FK5 with blue stripe is extremely COOL!!!!!

Re: 1970 Superbee with an unusual color combo. - 06/18/14 06:23 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Yeah, very rare to see dual painted mirrors on a B-body, but they look really good! I think they weren't available until March of '70?...I see this car has a SPD of 408 (April 8th).

I have a pair off a '70 Coronet 500, if someones gotta have them i'll sell them, not cheap.

Nice original parts aren't cheap, but they are the same as '70-'75? a-body "sport/rallye" mirrors.

Re: 1970 Superbee with an unusual color combo. - 06/18/14 03:34 PM

Quote:

Nice original parts aren't cheap, but they are the same as '70-'75? a-body "sport/rallye" mirrors.

IIRC the A body sport mirror was used 70-73 on the A's and yes 70 only on the B bodies

mike
Posted By: MONC

Re: 1970 Superbee with an unusual color combo. - 06/20/14 11:01 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Mike

Yikes. Even though it might not really be that bright, I think you hit the color very good...

Scott

Yeah, agree the blue looked a little bright. I tried to tone it down a little here...

Attached picture 8182425-Superbee2.jpg
© 2024 Moparts Forums