Moparts

What vendor stamp on this E-body original gas tank?

Posted By: 1972CudaV21

What vendor stamp on this E-body original gas tank? - 05/13/14 09:11 PM

Hi, I found this is on eBay.... http://r.ebay.com/7Aslza

I spy a vendor name, "Terne", some numbers and "1972".

What do you see?

How about that undercoating overspray? Original?
Posted By: 1972CudaV21

Re: What vendor stamp on this E-body original gas tank? - 05/14/14 02:52 AM

Looks like a 1972 Wheeling Pittsburgh Gas Tank Logo.
Posted By: kentj340

Re: What vendor stamp on this E-body original gas tank? - 05/14/14 05:29 AM

I think it says "Long Terne", but the L is missing.
Posted By: robertop

Re: What vendor stamp on this E-body original gas tank? - 05/15/14 12:02 AM

Actually the word "Terne" refers to the typical steel coating used in manufacturing the tank ,and it's a generic term, not a company logo. Modern reproductions are still made of the same stuff.
Posted By: kentj340

Re: What vendor stamp on this E-body original gas tank? - 05/15/14 06:14 AM

Quote:

Actually the word "Terne" refers to the typical steel coating used in manufacturing the tank ,and it's a generic term, not a company logo. Modern reproductions are still made of the same stuff.

Exactly, and shiny reproductions look more original than a faded and dull gray used (or NOS) tank, because the originals were shiny when new.

I suspect all the writing on the tank was done by Wheel Pit at their mill before shipment to the tank maker, because all the writing is on the same centerline. The mill knew the end use was gas tanks and likely spaced the writing on the terne sheet one gas tank apart. Ordinarily the mill would not have put the year on their sheet, but the customer, the tank maker, must have requested it.

It's possible but very unlikely that Wheel Pit, a steel maker, was the tank maker. Steel mills rarely engage in downstream operations. Although the 6 or so steel mills probably still exist, the Wheel Pit name, started in 1968, went away in 2005.
© 2024 Moparts Forums