Moparts

Brown zinc parts..resto

Posted By: 71redcuda

Brown zinc parts..resto - 05/08/14 10:10 PM

Hello,

Im looking for a someone who can do the correct factory plating (brown zinc) on a hood latch now when Jules is no longer with us..

Looking for a high quality resto if avalible.

THANKS
Nicklas

Attached picture 8138357-8067064-Latches2(1).jpg
Posted By: 5carguy

Re: Brown zinc parts..resto - 05/09/14 12:36 AM

Try Scott
Posted By: ScottSmith_Harms

Re: Brown zinc parts..resto - 05/09/14 01:08 AM

Here's the best current source I know of. Stephan.Fournier@videotron.ca

Re: Brown zinc parts..resto - 05/09/14 06:13 AM

Quote:

Here's the best current source I know of. Stephan.Fournier@videotron.ca

Thanks! This was the guy who worked with Jules?

Re: Brown zinc parts..resto - 05/09/14 06:21 AM

Yes, he's a very nice guy.

Re: Brown zinc parts..resto - 05/09/14 07:37 AM

Quote:

Yes, he's a very nice guy.

Will try him, appreciate the help with this.
Posted By: 1972CudaV21

Re: Brown zinc parts..resto - 05/09/14 11:39 AM

You can also contact Bill @ bmcuda.com - he does them.
Posted By: Pynzo

Re: Brown zinc parts..resto - 05/09/14 11:43 AM

That finish is called Parkerized and you can do it yourself very cheaply. I started doing my own 20 years ago restoring Harley parts. Manganese and Zinc phospating developed by the Parker Chemical Co. way back in the day. All you have to do is soak the cleaned steel(glass beaded or wire brushed and degreased) in the heated solution for a bit and oil it after you pull it out.

http://www.shootersolutions.com
Posted By: RestoRick

Re: Brown zinc parts..resto - 05/09/14 04:29 PM

Quote:

That finish is called Parkerized and you can do it yourself very cheaply. I started doing my own 20 years ago restoring Harley parts. Manganese and Zinc phospating developed by the Parker Chemical Co. way back in the day. All you have to do is soak the cleaned steel(glass beaded or wire brushed and degreased) in the heated solution for a bit and oil it after you pull it out.

http://www.shootersolutions.com

As stated by the original poster, these are done with black zinc. It's clear (silver) zinc followed by a chromate bath, brownish black in this case.
Often mistaken for parkerizing or phosphating, but it's most definitely not.

Re: Brown zinc parts..resto - 05/09/14 04:44 PM

And also notice that with the assemblies that the OP shows, the parts were not all one color, they need to be disassembled and plated before reassembly.
Posted By: 1970A13

Re: Brown zinc parts..resto - 05/10/14 03:13 AM

I have always thought hood latches were black phosphate,lots of mopar latches have MMP on them that stands for Modern Metel Products,that was in Loves Park Il. untill they closed in about 2010!
Posted By: kentj340

Re: Brown zinc parts..resto - 05/10/14 06:09 AM

See:

http://www.iccahome.org/

and click on black zinc in left margin. AFAIK, hood safety catches should be black zinc, not phosphated. Black zinc is not so black in many cases.
Posted By: kentj340

Re: Brown zinc parts..resto - 05/10/14 06:42 AM

How to tell the difference between black zinc (or any zinc plating) and phosphate:

Dip a toothpick in a fairly strong acid and deposit a small drop on an unexposed part of the test piece. I use phosphoric acid (Rust Cure) for this, because I always have some, and I know how it behaves on zinc. If tell tale bubbles soon appear, the coating is likely zinc, because zinc is highly reactive with acid. Apply water to stop the reaction, and no harm done.

Mostly you never want to put zinc plated parts in acid, because the zinc will be totally consumed in a fraction of an hour or so, even with a weak acid like vinegar. Zinc plating is usually in the range of only 0.0001" to 0.0002" thick. When doing zinc plating or chromating, HCl is used for a dip cleaner, but the exposure is in seconds.
Posted By: Tropicalcats

Re: Brown zinc parts..resto - 05/10/14 11:55 AM

Stephan.Fournier@videotron.ca
Stephan has my hood and trunk laches and in talking with him I have every reason to expect a quality product. Aside from the correct finish he will disassemble and reassemble with the proper rivets.
He has big shoes to step into but in talking with him and seeing some pics I think he can do it.
Posted By: 1972CudaV21

Re: Brown zinc parts..resto - 05/10/14 03:13 PM

Quote:

Stephan has my hood and trunk laches and in talking with him I have every reason to expect a quality product. Aside from the correct finish he will disassemble and reassemble with the proper rivets.
He has big shoes to step into but in talking with him and seeing some pics I think he can do it.

Does RestoRick use the correct rivets?

Re: Brown zinc parts..resto - 05/10/14 09:22 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Not sure. I know that Stephan worked with Jules and for me that says it all.
Posted By: Lou_Steger

Re: Brown zinc parts..resto - 05/11/14 12:27 AM

Quote:

Hello,

Im looking for a someone who can do the correct factory plating (brown zinc) on a hood latch now when Jules is no longer with us..

THANKS
Nicklas

What happened to Jules?

Re: Brown zinc parts..resto - 05/11/14 01:41 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Hello,

THANKS
Nicklas

What happened to Jules?

Jules passed away from cancer. A great loss.
Posted By: moparo

Re: Brown zinc parts..resto - 05/11/14 04:52 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Hello,

THANKS
Nicklas

What happened to Jules?

[list]

Stephan has shipped me a latch assembly for the Hemicuda I just finished. was just like opening product from Jules same paper wrap and attention to detail. He also does wiper and heater motors etc.
Posted By: RestoRick

Re: Brown zinc parts..resto - 05/11/14 05:17 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I don't do the hood & trunk latches...
© 2024 Moparts Forums