Moparts

1970 Challenger tail lamp housing finish

Posted By: Mopucky

1970 Challenger tail lamp housing finish - 05/07/14 04:44 PM

What is the correct O.E. finish for this housing as seen in trunk? Thanks!
Posted By: autoxcuda

Re: 1970 Challenger tail lamp housing finish - 05/07/14 06:16 PM

Quote:

What is the correct O.E. finish for this housing as seen in trunk? Thanks!

Natural smooth finish injected casted pot metal. Grey looking color.
Posted By: Mopucky

Re: 1970 Challenger tail lamp housing finish - 05/07/14 06:35 PM

Thanks! Any easy way of getting it back without abrasives?
Posted By: Sxrxrnr

Re: 1970 Challenger tail lamp housing finish - 05/07/14 07:15 PM

Mine are perfect but really stained appearance. I bought a harbor freight portable soda blaster. Thinking to use it for the job.

Opinions before I mess up?
Posted By: slimert

Re: 1970 Challenger tail lamp housing finish - 05/19/14 01:49 AM

Mine had some paint overspray, it cleaned up nicely with lacquer thinner and 0000 steel wool. Be sure to tape off the light bulb hole to keep the inside reflective silver from getting messed up.
Posted By: hemi_rtdave

Re: 1970 Challenger tail lamp housing finish - 05/19/14 03:04 AM

Please correct me if I am wrong but...

My understanding is that the entire assembly was together when the blackout was applied to the top leading edge of the chrome, thus leaving overspray on the housing. I have seen cars done this way.

Anyone else?
Posted By: steve70

Re: 1970 Challenger tail lamp housing finish - 05/19/14 01:19 PM

Quote:

Please correct me if I am wrong but...

My understanding is that the entire assembly was together when the blackout was applied to the top leading edge of the chrome, thus leaving overspray on the housing. I have seen cars done this way.

Anyone else?

You are correct. Here's a picture from an original T/A

Attached picture 8148873-Trunk(25).jpg
Posted By: Mr D21

Re: 1970 Challenger tail lamp housing finish - 05/19/14 10:17 PM

Blacked out as an assembly ?? I have an NOS set of Bezels and they have the black out already applied, so,,, ????

Any other opinions about that ?

Re: 1970 Challenger tail lamp housing finish - 06/29/14 11:09 PM

I had noted in earlier post to this thread that I was going to try soda blasting to clean mine. Instead I decided to try my recently acquired HF bead blaster using glass beads as soda blasting would be quite messy.

I did a bit on the bottom side in the event that did not come out well. Looked ok, so then completely did all 4 of them.

They came out perfect and as new.

Took some before and after photos with iPhone, but too high resolution( why does iPhone not let you turn this down a bit to save memory and permit easier uploading is beyond me) to upload, so will have to cut back size somehow.

Also must learn how to upload multiple photos in a single posting.

Get this sorted out and will post outcome photos.

Re: 1970 Challenger tail lamp housing finish - 06/30/14 02:33 AM

Quote:

Blacked out as an assembly ?? I have an NOS set of Bezels and they have the black out already applied, so,,, ????

Any other opinions about that ?

That's an original paint 30K mile car. It is what it is. Exactly where in assembly it got there is the debate. Being a T/A it's got rear blackout, but there was blackout under the tailight housings put on prior to installation.

Do you have pics that show differently from other/your low milage survivor original paint 70 Challengers?

blacked out before tail light installed. This picture is of the same car Steve70 now owns and that those tailights he posted above came out of.

Attached picture 8191869-Copyof1_06TroyTA01.JPG

Re: 1970 Challenger tail lamp housing finish - 06/30/14 02:35 AM

Quote:

I had noted in earlier post to this thread that I was going to try soda blasting to clean mine. Instead I decided to try my recently acquired HF bead blaster using glass beads as soda blasting would be quite messy.

I did a bit on the bottom side in the event that did not come out well. Looked ok, so then completely did all 4 of them.

They came out perfect and as new.

Took some before and after photos with iPhone, but too high resolution( why does iPhone not let you turn this down a bit to save memory and permit easier uploading is beyond me) to upload, so will have to cut back size somehow.

Also must learn how to upload multiple photos in a single posting.

Get this sorted out and will post outcome photos.

Did you run the glass bead blaster at lower than normal pressure?

Re: 1970 Challenger tail lamp housing finish - 06/30/14 02:57 AM

Full bore. Ended job with proper stock texture,,,factory if you look at yours is quite pebbly,,and color is spot on. Did not remove any factory finish,,,likely just raw pot metal anyhow. Not shiny or some such as spraying with a rattle can. Could not be more pleased. Again used glass beads from HF, not sand.
© 2024 Moparts Forums