Moparts

E-body Dash Pad?

Posted By: filmsurgeon

E-body Dash Pad? - 05/06/14 12:34 AM

I know this topic has been posted on and commented about MANY times, but I'm in need of some feedback on some recent experiences with the various suppliers/manufacturers of Mopar dash pads. As with the crappy interior Palco panels that the previous owner chose to install, the dash pad (although nice looking from 50') is also crap. It is one of those made with a plastic (ABS) core, and there are extreme fitment issues (see photos). Since I am redoing my entire interior, and have the dash almost fully assembled (out of the car), I just won't be satisfied with installing it with this dash pad. So (once again), it looks like I'll have to shell out some more $$$ for satisfaction and peace-of-mind. I have searched this site and read many post about dash pads. Regarding the various manufactures who sell "steel core" dash pads: I know some (if not many) have had issues with UR pads, but what about the others? There is Dash Pad Pros, Just Dashes, Carolina Super Dash (aka:Superior Dash), etc. I want to buy the best fitting, most correct pad, at the fairest price. I feel that JD pricing is extreme. Can't seem to get much info on Carolina (but have found a phone number/email contact), and those that have bought/installed them seem to be satisfied. Is Carolina associated in some way with UR? Don't know much about Dash Pad Pros, but I know others have made posts inquiring about them. Strange, but interesting is that Dash Pad Pros and Ultimate Rides (aka: Dash Masters) are both located in El Paso, TX. Possibly UR has recently started operating under a second/new/different business name because of ALL the trouble customers have had dealing with them (i.e. Alan Foxx) directly. I know they used to have an "F" rating on BBB, but that has recently changed to a "B" rating somehow. Been reading a lot of interesting horror stories on various Mopar forum sites regarding nightmares in dealing directly with Alan. Still trying to decide which way to go. I will need a 3-speaker, non-AC, '70 Challenger dash pad. Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.

Posted By: RP's R/T's

Re: E-body Dash Pad? - 05/06/14 06:44 PM

Sorry to see the problem you are dealing with.
Personally, I would go with the Just Dashes as I hate to have problems getting everything installed and/or dealing with a lousy appearance.
The plastic core versions bite.
I have heard that Ultimate Ride versions with the steel frame (original framework) fit decent. But I have also heard not to work through Alan Foxx.
Posted By: jeff968

Re: E-body Dash Pad? - 05/06/14 07:35 PM

I have the ultimate rides steel core dash in my Challenger. It is far from perfect but for the $500 I paid for it and how good it does look overall I am happy with it. It sounds like you should go with a Just Dash piece. I hear they are the best but you'll pay for it.
Posted By: drew72

Re: E-body Dash Pad? - 05/06/14 09:07 PM

Just Dashes here too. I can't understand how someone can complain about price when told the best costs the most, and they want the best. You get what you pay for, especially in this case. If the best was cheaper then everyone would buy the best.
Posted By: johnscudashop

Re: E-body Dash Pad? - 05/06/14 10:31 PM

Just Dashes. You get what you pay for here

Re: E-body Dash Pad? - 05/06/14 10:44 PM

Thanks for the replies so far guys. I really appreciate them. I've decided to go the Just Dashes route since I am building a show car and don't want to compromise. I have seen their work first hand at local car shows (in SoCal), and at their shop in Van Nuys, CA (I live only 30 minutes from them). I'm pretty sure I definitely need to give them a Non-A/C core, but don't know for sure it's necessary that I give them one that was originally a 3-speaker dash. Also, I don't know if I necessarily need to give them a '70 Challenger core, or if I can give them a later model and/or 'Cuda core that they can make into a '70 Challenger dash pad. I need to end up with a '70 Challenger, 3-Speaker, Non-A/C steel core, black dash pad. Any other advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks again.

FYI - I already made a post on E-body Parts Wanted looking for a core.
Posted By: ratroaster

Re: E-body Dash Pad? - 05/06/14 10:59 PM

You can give them any year e-body core with or without your combination of air cond. or speakers. They can make you any style out of any good core Cuda or challenger. The difference being added cost to each modification they need to make. So it would be a bit cheaper if you can find a non air 70 Challenger 3 speaker dash core.

Re: E-body Dash Pad? - 05/06/14 11:38 PM

Quote:

You can give them any year e-body core with or without your combination of air cond. or speakers. They can make you any style out of any good core Cuda or challenger. The difference being added cost to each modification they need to make. So it would be a bit cheaper if you can find a non air 70 Challenger 3 speaker dash core.

Thanks. That's what I suspected. Added costs for mods. But wouldn't a Non-A/C core be more appropriate for my needs, given that the Non-A/C steel core doesn't have the cut-outs for the vents? I believe that ALL E-body steel cores had the provisions for the side speakers, and that it was just a matter of cutting the foam to match the provision. Am I correct? Thanks again. Don't know what I'd do without this site.

Re: E-body Dash Pad? - 05/07/14 12:09 AM

It's been a few years since I ordered one from them, but will be doing so again soon.
I don't believe they actually make a pad just for you from the pad (core)you turn in.
I would give them any old E-Body dash pad.
Of course, you can verify this by calling them
I'd sell you a core, but it might not make sense sending you a core half-way across the country.
Posted By: ratroaster

Re: E-body Dash Pad? - 05/07/14 12:13 AM

They can fill that area in if need be. They may trade you for a non air core also if they have any in stock. They can reform a Cuda dash to make a Challenger dash also for I believe another $100.00. The steel cores are the same. Give em a call they will fill you in.
Posted By: fastmark

Re: E-body Dash Pad? - 05/07/14 04:22 AM

I have a bud who has had JD do several Cuda dashes and they all turned out very nice. I heard several different stories about usable cores lately, so I just called them. Here is what they said.

They use the core you send them, period. They can fill 3 speaker dashes, fill ac vents or cut them. They will charge you for this extra work. I did not ask about the Cuda to Challenger conversion. They will put a 70 script in a 71-74 core. They completely strip all the old foam from the steel core and hand lay new foam and contour it to the correct shape. Then they vacuum form the correct vinyl over the foam. The steel core is all they use and it must be rust free. I was told years ago that the better the core you sent, the better the finished product. I think years ago they might have left some of the original foam in place, but I asked two weeks ago and he said they strip everything off now. You will be happy with a dash from them. I'll pm you about a core if you need one.

Re: E-body Dash Pad? - 05/07/14 05:34 AM

Quote:

I have a bud who has had JD do several Cuda dashes and they all turned out very nice. I heard several different stories about usable cores lately, so I just called them. Here is what they said.

They use the core you send them, period. They can fill 3 speaker dashes, fill ac vents or cut them. They will charge you for this extra work. I did not ask about the Cuda to Challenger conversion. They will put a 70 script in a 71-74 core. They completely strip all the old foam from the steel core and hand lay new foam and contour it to the correct shape. Then they vacuum form the correct vinyl over the foam. The steel core is all they use and it must be rust free. I was told years ago that the better the core you sent, the better the finished product. I think years ago they might have left some of the original foam in place, but I asked two weeks ago and he said they strip everything off now. You will be happy with a dash from them. I'll pm you about a core if you need one.

Thanks for your reply. Interesting to hear that they said "They completely strip all the old foam from the steel core and hand lay new foam and contour it to the correct shape." When I talked to them yesterday, they said they would charge an extra $150 if they had to START with a bare metal steel core. Why would they say that if they ultimately strip the core of all the original foam anyway? Hence starting with a bare steel core. It would save them time (and $$) if they didn't have to do any foam stripping. I know these guys do good work, but I think their quoting is inconsistent. Yes PM me about a core. Thanks.
Posted By: denfireguy

Re: E-body Dash Pad? - 05/07/14 03:15 PM

Quote:

I believe that ALL E-body steel cores had the provisions for the side speakers, and that it was just a matter of cutting the foam to match the provision. Am I correct? Thanks again. Don't know what I'd do without this site.

No, the one speaker frames must be modified for the three speaker system. Just like the A/C vents, if it did not have that accessory, it did not have the holes. I had both cores and I sent the three speaker one as a core for rebuilding to Ultimate. I just wanted the single speaker and that is what I got back. I still have the original core and I think I will sell it this year as it is only taking up space. It is an A/C one, though.
I went through a group buy to Ultimate so I had an intermediary battle their poor customer service. I am very happy with the result but I had been living with the old cracked pad for 30 years so any improvement would have been appreciated.
Craig
Posted By: dan9

Re: E-body Dash Pad? - 05/07/14 03:21 PM

Since you live only 30 mins. away I would take these pictures to them and ask them if they can give you the perfection you are looking for.
Posted By: DAYCLONA

Re: E-body Dash Pad? - 05/07/14 03:48 PM

If your going to send a dash to Just Dashes, send the nicest core you can, in regards to the foam, the more cracks and chunks missing, the more filling they do to the foam, my friends Cuda dash looked nice at first from JD, but after a few months in the sun (tinted windshield) all the vinyl pad covering started to shrink into/around the repairs underneath, the second pad he had them do he purchased a core with a few minor blemishes and splits/cracks in areas that would not show if the same thing happened again, however the second dash was rather "puffy" in appearance after JD recovered it, but it was "presentable"....so kinda hit or miss, guess it depends on the technician working the pad

Mike

Re: E-body Dash Pad? - 05/07/14 10:52 PM

Well. I think the normal here is to be inconsistent! My bud was told for years that the better the core you sent in, the better one you got back. Seems like I remember an article in a magazine where they detailed the rebuilding process of a dash. I remember that they only dug out the cracked and loose parts, fill it with foam and then put on the skin. The guy I talked to the other day said that they take it down to bare steel. I would be afraid that the old foam would still have a tendency to turn loose and cause problems as well. I can say that all the dashes I have seen rebuilt by them do look good.
Posted By: FC7AARcuda

Re: E-body Dash Pad? - 05/10/14 05:03 PM

How much does a JD dashpad cost? 3 or 4 years ago I found a nice original un-cracked pad for my cuda at the nationals and thought I was all set. A couple weeks ago I was getting my car ready for spring and noticed a big crack running from the center speaker to the windshield.

Re: E-body Dash Pad? - 05/10/14 05:42 PM

Quote:

How much does a JD dashpad cost? 3 or 4 years ago I found a nice original un-cracked pad for my cuda at the nationals and thought I was all set. A couple weeks ago I was getting my car ready for spring and noticed a big crack running from the center speaker to the windshield.

Depending on whether your E body pad is a 70, or 71-4, AC, 3 speaker, shipping the core, etc, have a G note handy

Re: E-body Dash Pad? - 05/14/14 09:18 PM

Thought I'd share this. I decided to request a quote from Just Dashes using their website, rather than speaking to someone on the phone. I wanted my request and their response in writing.

http://justdashes.com/Map.htm

My Quote Request:

Hello,
I'd like to get a quote to have you do a 1970 Dodge Challenger dash
pad (black, 3-speaker, Non-A/C).
I currently have several E-body dash pad cores, and would prefer to
bring you the one that offers me the best price for my need. I live in
SoCal, so I can drop the core off at your shop in Van Nuys.
- What is the price for what I need?
- What (if any) are the additional charges if I bring you a 'Cuda dash core?
- What (if any) are the additional charges if I bring you a later year
model core
- What (if any) are the additional charges if I bring you a dash core
that is NON-3 speaker (single speaker), and/or came out of an A/C car?
- Do you require a rust-free dash core?
- What is your process? Do you remove ALL the old foam, or do you
simply fill the deteriorated/damaged foam areas with new foam?
- Would a new (chrome) '70 Challenger script emblem be attached to the
dash pad, and be included in the price you give me?
- How is the emblem attached to the dash pad; is it glued on, or is
the emblem pinned with retainers on the back-side?
- Do you provide provisions for the dash VIN tag to be riveted on, or
do I need to bring you the VIN tag from the car?
- Is there a guarantee on the workmanship? I need this to fit
(perfectly) and as well as the dash pads fit from the factory.
- How close will the vinyl's grain pattern be to the grain pattern of
the vinyl on an original dash pad?
- Regarding the outboard/side speaker grills: I have read on some of
the Mopar forum sites (and message-boards) that only the B/L B/R
speaker grills will work on your E-body dash pads. I have both B/L-R
and J/L-R grills. Will the J/L-R (’70 Challenger ONLY) grills fit
properly on the '70 Challenger dash pad you do for me?
- Do you buy dash cores? I have several E-body cores ranging in
condition (from bare metal steel to complete), and from both 'Cuda and
Challenger, 1970-74, A/C & Non-A/C, 3-speaker & single (center)
speaker.
I look forward to your response.
Best regards

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Just Dashes response:

Hi,
You certainly were thorough in your inquiry. I'll try to help you out as much as I can. First, I will say that we don't restore cores from other cars to go into a 1970 Dodge Challenger. For that car, we do a complete restoration. You will need to send the original dash into us
and we will do a complete reconstruction off your original dash frame. We strip off most of the old foam during the repair, but we leave what we need for the general profile of the dash pad. We work off of your original part to ensure that when you go to put it back in your car, you know it's going to fit. We do require the dash core you send in to be rust-free for the best results. IF you'd like your Challenger emblem re-chromed, we provide that service at an additional cost. Your VIN tag should come with the dash and we will remove and re-install it here at our shop. As for the fit of the dash, it should fit just like new. We stand by our product, and if you experience any problems, or have issues with the final product, we will work to fix the issue to the best of our ability. That being said, we do make a quality product that will look like new when we're through with it. The vinyl we use
on the dash is the same style used in the factory. However, your other interior parts may have faded, so we do recommend getting all of your
corresponding parts restored simultaneously for the most seamless transformation. We recommend using all of the original parts for your restoration, so please send in your original speakers for the restoration process. Our current turnaround time is about 10 weeks from the time we receive your part.
Send to: Just Dashes
5941 Lemona Ave.
Van Nuys, CA 91411

Cost:
$1,100 - Dash Pad (includes just dashes repro center speaker grill)
$150 - Foam Work (if the dash is bare metal)
$600-800 - Dash Carrier (Big Metal Frame Under Dash)
~$1250 - Instrument Cluster
~$450 -Bezel
$190 - Front and Rear Door Panels (each)
$450 - Rear Convertible Panels (each)
$150 - Weather Trim (for panels)
$120 - Kick Panels (each)
$150 - Seat Backs (each)
$500 - Black Vinyl Bezel (send control panel)
$350 - Hydrodipped Pattern ($200 to match control panel)
$150 - Black Texture Spray ($100 to match control)
+ Shipping

This price includes that restoration of the dash pad in black. For any
other color, you can add $100-$150 depending on the color. I've
attached an order form for your convenience. Let me know if you need
anything else.

Thanks,
Jason
Just Dashes, Inc.
(800) 247-3274
Just Dashes.com

Re: E-body Dash Pad? - 05/14/14 11:13 PM

I find it odd they say to send the VIN tag with the dash, where as in the past, they said if a VIN tag was on the dash it would be removed and destroyed...I wouldn't send the VIN tag, if it's lost, your going to find it difficult to have a repro made
Posted By: steve70

Re: E-body Dash Pad? - 05/14/14 11:17 PM

Quote:

I find it odd they say to send the VIN tag with the dash, where as in the past, they said if a VIN tag was on the dash it would be removed and destroyed...I wouldn't send the VIN tag, if it's lost, your going to find it difficult to have a repro made

Too much risk to let the vin tag out of your sight. Handle that part of the project yourself.

Re: E-body Dash Pad? - 05/15/14 12:21 AM

Yup. Also interesting is that they did not address the question I had about cutting/filling A/C and 3-speaker holes. FWIW - I just ordered a '70 Challenger dash pad (3-speaker, Non-A/C from Roseville). It's an original steel core, that has had new foam and vinyl applied. "Remanufactured" by Ultimate Rides (aka: Dash Masters; aka: Dash Pad Pros). Keeping my fingers crossed that it fits to my satisfaction and there are no major quality issues. I'll post again (with photos) after I've mounted it to the dash frame, and installed all the trim, bezels, etc. Thanks for the replies.
Posted By: RoadRunner

Re: E-body Dash Pad? - 05/15/14 12:31 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Too much risk to let the vin tag out of your sight. Handle that part of the project yourself.

X2

There is no way in heck I would let any vin tag, fendertag or paperwork out of my control on a project. Remove it and install it on new dash pad yourself.

Re: E-body Dash Pad? - 05/15/14 01:47 AM

Hmmm. They told me two weeks ago when I called, that they remove ALL the old foam regardless of condition. This guy says they leave MOST of it place. Which makes more sense from what I've been told in the past. ie, the better the core you send them the better the dash you get back and you always get back your original and they leave on the good foam. I guess it depends on who answers the phone that day.
Posted By: Seventythree

Re: E-body Dash Pad? - 05/15/14 03:03 AM

Received my JD 70 Challenger pad a couple months back. It is very nice.

Re: E-body Dash Pad? - 05/15/14 03:11 AM

Quote:

Hmmm. They told me two weeks ago when I called, that they remove ALL the old foam regardless of condition. This guy says they leave MOST of it place. Which makes more sense from what I've been told in the past. ie, the better the core you send them the better the dash you get back and you always get back your original and they leave on the good foam. I guess it depends on who answers the phone that day.

Their communications are just too inconsistent for me.

FWIW - I just ordered an Ultimate Rides dash pad ('70 Challenger, 3-speaker, Non-A/C) from Dave at Roseville. I know there have been some unsatisfied people with the UR dash pad, but there have been a lot of satisfied customers as well. I figure, this is what I can afford, and I'll have to take my chances. And, I've heard as many negative comments about Just Dashes, as I have heard about the UR dash pads. So, I'll roll the dice, and see how it turns out. I'll report back (with photos) after. Thanks again, and best regards.
Posted By: azmopar

Re: E-body Dash Pad? - 05/15/14 03:12 AM

Talked to just dashes today, to do my rear convertible panels? $1400 plus shipping both ways

Re: E-body Dash Pad? - 05/15/14 03:26 AM

Quote:

Talked to just dashes today, to do my rear convertible panels? $1400 plus shipping both ways

That doesn't make sense according to the quote that they gave me "in writing" ($450 each panel). However, when I took my '70 Challenger convertible rear interior panels down to their shop several months ago, they said it would cost me $700 for the pair, because they would have to do BOTH front and back sides.
Posted By: autoxcuda

Re: E-body Dash Pad? - 05/15/14 04:11 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Their communications are just too inconsistent for me.

FWIW - I just ordered an Ultimate Rides dash pad ('70 Challenger, 3-speaker, Non-A/C) from Dave at Roseville. I know there have been some unsatisfied people with the UR dash pad, but there have been a lot of satisfied customers as well. I figure, this is what I can afford, and I'll have to take my chances. And, I've heard as many negative comments about Just Dashes, as I have heard about the UR dash pads. So, I'll roll the dice, and see how it turns out. I'll report back (with photos) after. Thanks again, and best regards.

Communications were inconsistent so you went with Ultimate Rides?

I don't know where you are in So Cal, but you can go there and see what is happening. The owner runs a professional business and you have a reasonable person do deal with.

Theres people who hunt down UR to get pre-paid product and refunds and quality issues. But if you are going through a middle man, they have to deal with that.

Re: E-body Dash Pad? - 05/15/14 05:12 AM

Quote:

Communications were inconsistent so you went with Ultimate Rides?

I don't know where you are in So Cal, but you can go there and see what is happening. The owner runs a professional business and you have a reasonable person do deal with.

Theres people who hunt down UR to get pre-paid product and refunds and quality issues. But if you are going through a middle man, they have to deal with that.

I am 30 mins from Just Dashes' shop. I have been there (several times), and I continuously get contradictory pricing. I can't afford to buy a core from someone and have JD do their stuff. Too much inconsistency in what has been told to me and others, and they are WAY TOO EXPENSIVE. Plus others have reported that their dash pads look too "puffy". So, I'm going with a UR pad, and will keep my fingers crossed that there are no serious issues.
Posted By: 1972CudaV21

Re: E-body Dash Pad? - 05/16/14 11:54 AM

The price for the front and rear panels is okay if the part comes out perfect...I'd prefer to keep my originals.

Anyone have any pics of the finished product?

Re: E-body Dash Pad? - 05/16/14 01:57 PM

My friend just had his hardtop panels done and I don't think he paid that for his door panels alone. He had his dash done as well. I'll ask the price. I know the dash was 1100 to 1200. He wanted them to do the panels since he has used them in all his other cars. His car has a tan interior. I don't like the grain that they do on the door panels. It looks way too smooth. It looks puffy in the seams, as well. You just can't get that skin to contour down in the grooves on a Cuda. I advised him to buy the new Roseville panels and paint them. Just dashes is painted anyway. Another thing that settles the issue about how much foam they replace. His pad was a almost perfect 71-74 pad with A/C. He bought it new many years ago and changed it out for his original pad that was cracked. He wanted them to put the Barracuda script on the pad instead of the square plaque of the 71 up. They put the script on perfectly. He had one spot that was starting to come up in the seam right in the crease that goes down the entire length of the dash. Guess what, you can still see the slight imperfection in the covered dash. I think they do as little repair as possible before they cover it. He just told me that paid 800-900 for the door panels. He would have to look at his receipt for sure, but that is close.
Posted By: fireeng

Re: E-body Dash Pad? - 05/17/14 08:18 PM

I bought a steel core pad from UR many years ago (2000 or 01) at Carlisle for a great last day price of $500 and installed it last year. It appeared to have two small wrinkles on the passenger side where it turns down to meet the door when it was attached to the dash. But after the dash was installed back in the car, the wrinkles disappeared and the pad looks great.

Re: E-body Dash Pad? - 05/17/14 11:35 PM

Quote:

I bought a steel core pad from UR many years ago (2000 or 01) at Carlisle for a great last day price of $500 and installed it last year. It appeared to have two small wrinkles on the passenger side where it turns down to meet the door when it was attached to the dash. But after the dash was installed back in the car, the wrinkles disappeared and the pad looks great.

My UR dash pad should be delivered next Wed. I'm both anxious, and nervous. I've read lots of post regarding the UR pads. From what I gathered, it appears that most of the people who reported quality and fit issues were those that had purchased them years ago. I believe the pads got better as the years went on. Glad to hear you're happy with your pad you got back in 2000. I'll post my review (with photos) after I get the whole dash put together.

Re: E-body Dash Pad? - 05/18/14 05:29 PM

only pic I have on this computer

Attached picture 8148108-challengerdash.jpg

Re: E-body Dash Pad? - 05/25/14 01:41 AM

Bad news to report. I got my UR dash pad this past Wed, and did a test fit today. There are a couple of small cosmetic imperfections in the vinyl, but nothing so bad that I couldn't live with it. However, there is a SERIOUS issue with the passenger side (see photo). FYI - All (11) threaded studs are through the mounting holes of the dash frame, but I had to pull on the passenger side of the pad in order to get it down to meet with the frame. In doing this, the vinyl buckles severely, and the pad still doesn't match up to the contour of the frame. I know (without a doubt) that my frame is NOT bent. Besides, the passenger side is braced pretty well, so I can't possibly understand how it could even get bent, unless it was in a crash, then the damage would be quite obvious. I think that the steel core of this particular pad was bent prior to the work that UR did. Also, not that it's that big of a deal breaker, but it's quite evident that the core that was used for this dash was NOT an original 3-speaker dash. I can see the Sharpie lines that were drawn to make the cut-outs, and the cuts are definitely fresh. No doubt I need to send this back and wait for a replacement. Any and all feedback is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Attached picture 8154738-photo1.JPG
Posted By: 1932chrysler

Re: E-body Dash Pad? - 05/25/14 02:48 AM

I have the photo Scott was looking for
pad needed to be pulled over an inch to get it to fit

Attached picture 8154776-dashright.jpg

Re: E-body Dash Pad? - 05/25/14 04:36 AM

When you look at the total cost of a restoration, the extra money you spend on a Just Dashes rebuild is a small price to pay. I have heard of very few problems with a JD dash and about 1/2 of all UR are not fit for using. You get what you pay for.
Posted By: steve70

Re: E-body Dash Pad? - 05/25/14 02:49 PM

Quote:

When you look at the total cost of a restoration, the extra money you spend on a Just Dashes rebuild is a small price to pay. I have heard of very few problems with a JD dash and about 1/2 of all UR are not fit for using. You get what you pay for.

I have one from JD in my T/A and the fit is great.
Posted By: Quicksmopars

Re: E-body Dash Pad? - 05/25/14 06:00 PM

UR is the worst, most unprofessional company I've ever dealt with. Alan Foxx is a dirt bag who will take your money, tell you a bunch of lies, not return phone calls, and not deliver. I bought 3 e body pads from him a couple years ago at the Nationals. I paid in full ($1,800+core charges)at the show and was told it would be 3 weeks til I received my pads. Well, months went by and every show I'd see him at, I'd bust his balls about giving me my parts and he'd lie some more like always. I was understanding at first thinking, "ok, they're busy" but by the end of it, I was totally ready to go to jail on an assault charge on this dude. Ended up taking a full YEAR and I finally got my dash pads. This really slowed down the restoration of my Challenger waiting for my parts I paid for up front. He blatantly tried to screw me which I don't take kindly to.

As far as quality of the pads, they are pretty good. Had a couple big gaps and had to remove a good amount of foam to get it to fit. Still not a great fit. The grain is incorrect and the stitching is a little shakey. If I ever buy another E body dash, it will be from Just Dashes instead.

I try to keep others from falling into the same trap I did. If you deal with him in person, and only if you are looking at the parts you are going to buy. You might be ok but don't let him ship them to you or you'll be sorry.

Re: E-body Dash Pad? - 05/25/14 08:55 PM

Quote:

UR is the worst, most unprofessional company I've ever dealt with. Alan Foxx is a dirt bag who will take your money, tell you a bunch of lies, not return phone calls, and not deliver. I bought 3 e body pads from him a couple years ago at the Nationals. I paid in full ($1,800+core charges)at the show and was told it would be 3 weeks til I received my pads. Well, months went by and every show I'd see him at, I'd bust his balls about giving me my parts and he'd lie some more like always. I was understanding at first thinking, "ok, they're busy" but by the end of it, I was totally ready to go to jail on an assault charge on this dude. Ended up taking a full YEAR and I finally got my dash pads. This really slowed down the restoration of my Challenger waiting for my parts I paid for up front. He blatantly tried to screw me which I don't take kindly to.

As far as quality of the pads, they are pretty good. Had a couple big gaps and had to remove a good amount of foam to get it to fit. Still not a great fit. The grain is incorrect and the stitching is a little shakey. If I ever buy another E body dash, it will be from Just Dashes instead.

I try to keep others from falling into the same trap I did. If you deal with him in person, and only if you are looking at the parts you are going to buy. You might be ok but don't let him ship them to you or you'll be sorry.

This is the norm from this company it seems. Why some people deal with UR is beyond my belief. I guess it proves that if you sell a bad product but provide it cheaper than anyone else, you still manage to fool a couple every once in a while and manage to stay in business to fool someone else.

Re: E-body Dash Pad? - 05/25/14 09:08 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I have one from JD in my T/A and the fit is great.

i agree, I have had them done at both and i'm much more happy with the JD pad

Re: E-body Dash Pad? - 05/25/14 09:32 PM

Quote:

This is the norm from this company it seems. Why some people deal with UR is beyond my belief. I guess it proves that if you sell a bad product but provide it cheaper than anyone else, you still manage to fool a couple every once in a while and manage to stay in business to fool someone else.

I did not deal with UR or Alan Foxx directly. I bought the pad from Dave at Roseville. I'm confident Dave will make good on the return/exchange/refund. Thanks for the feedback. I am still considering going the JD route, specially after seeing the results of the test fitting on the first UR pad. Not feeling very warm inside about any UR replacement pads.

Re: E-body Dash Pad? - 05/26/14 01:11 AM

You only eliminated the customer service aspect of UR when you bought from Dave. You still got the sorry product.

Re: E-body Dash Pad? - 05/26/14 01:36 AM

Quote:

You only eliminated the customer service aspect of UR when you bought from Dave. You still got the sorry product.

True. Live and learn. However, I would've been better off taking the advice from others who have already learned from their UR experiences, rather than me creating my own.

Re: E-body Dash Pad? - 05/26/14 02:51 AM

Here are a few pics of my JD pad

Re: E-body Dash Pad? - 05/26/14 03:00 AM

Re: E-body Dash Pad? - 05/26/14 03:00 AM

Re: E-body Dash Pad? - 05/26/14 03:02 AM

Thats all I have for now. I sent the dash pad to the dash restorer after I took these pics.

Re: E-body Dash Pad? - 05/28/14 03:19 PM

Quote:

I have the photo Scott was looking for
pad needed to be pulled over an inch to get it to fit

This is the wrinkle I was talking about. It completely disappeared after it was installed in the car.

Thanks for the pic Donald, hope all is well, tell the guys I was asking for them. I have to get up there soon.
Posted By: lakerism

Re: E-body Dash Pad? - 05/28/14 09:39 PM

Just saw this tread, I can't believe you passed on Just Dashes! You said you were building a show car and you decided to pinch penny's?

You live 30 minutes from them and could have saved on shipping, and you could have paid much less than quoted by paying cash. (they don't advertise that but it's true). I know because I drove the 45 minutes to deliver/pick up mine and it was immaculate! Man o man...

Re: E-body Dash Pad? - 05/28/14 10:08 PM

Quote:

Just saw this tread, I can't believe you passed on Just Dashes! You said you were building a show car and you decided to pinch penny's?

You live 30 minutes from them and could have saved on shipping, and you could have paid much less than quoted by paying cash. (they don't advertise that but it's true). I know because I drove the 45 minutes to deliver/pick up mine and it was immaculate! Man o man...

Not really trying to pinch pennies. If I was doing that, I would have bought/installed an aftermarket dash pad with an ABS plastic core. I just thought I'd give the UR pad a shot, and it wasn't inexpensive ($1,100 = pad + core charge + shipping). I don't have a steal core dash pad, so I'd have to get/buy one to take to Just Dashes. I will be going to JD either later today or tomorrow to sit down with someone to discuss my situation, and to get a definitive quote. I will certainly be asking about the "cash discount". Thanks for the feedback.
Posted By: lakerism

Re: E-body Dash Pad? - 05/29/14 01:25 AM

Hey bro, I think I came across as a bit of an a$$, sorry about that. I would find out who the manager is at JD and confide in him, let him know what your issues are and that your not happy with the competitor's product and ask what he can do for you. They're cool guys and at least with me they bent over backwards to make sure I was happy. Do it in person not over the phone, ask if he'll give you a break if you pay cash, I'm sure they will work with you too
Posted By: 1970mopar

Re: E-body Dash Pad? - 05/29/14 05:30 AM

Anyone use Carolina superdash? or are they the manufacturer for Ultimate Rides?
Posted By: autoxcuda

Re: E-body Dash Pad? - 05/29/14 06:34 AM

Quote:

I believe it was discovered here they are a retailer for Ultimate Rides.

Re: E-body Dash Pad? - 05/29/14 11:45 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I believe it was discovered here they are a retailer for Ultimate Rides.

Yes, one and the same company, just operating under different names, I purchased a 70 Cuda pad from Carolina Superdash from Ebay, no issues with delivery, except I'm surprised it made the journey in the flimsy cardboard box it was sent in!...I had no fitment issues, and the grain was very close in match, and the details on the pad were nicely done

However the OP is requiring the most difficult of all E body pads to get correct in fit and finish, the 70 Challenger pad, 1 year only application, When I needed a 70 Challenger pad for my Challenger project, I looked at what Just Dashes, UR, CSD, plastic backs, etc, etc, etc had to offer in the way of 70 Challenger pads....none passed the visual test, luckily I got an original one at an all makes swap meet for $75, yes $75 (deals/steals are still out there) in pristine condition, guy just didn't know what he had, I had to fend off Chet Greenwood (E body Enterprises) all day harassing me to sell it to him...sorry Chet

I'd suggest the OP start off having a 70 Challenger pad recovered, not converted from a 71-4 pad, to alleviate some fitment issues

mike
Posted By: dan9

Re: E-body Dash Pad? - 05/29/14 02:54 PM

I agree with you. I think he may have to live with some flaws. I wouldn't be happy with what he has either but does anyone have a repop that fits great in every area? Mine has 2 flaws where the pad meets the hard plastic on the driver's side. I decided not to look at that area any more.

Re: E-body Dash Pad? - 05/29/14 04:23 PM

hmmm, reproduction with no flaws? My JD pad has absolutely no flaws, with the exception of the vin tag area apprearing too puffy.

Re: E-body Dash Pad? - 05/29/14 11:48 PM

Quote:

Hey bro, I think I came across as a bit of an a$$, sorry about that. I would find out who the manager is at JD and confide in him, let him know what your issues are and that your not happy with the competitor's product and ask what he can do for you. They're cool guys and at least with me they bent over backwards to make sure I was happy. Do it in person not over the phone, ask if he'll give you a break if you pay cash, I'm sure they will work with you too

No sweat dude. I didn't take any offense to your comment. As soon as I'm physically able, I'll make a visit to JD and discuss my plight (threw-out my lower back pretty bad yesterday; can hardly walk, or even stand w/o feeling excruciating pain). Still waiting on resolving the UR pad that I bought through Roseville. Yesterday, I set the UR dash pad back onto the dash frame so I could take this photo. Again, all of the dash pad's (11) threaded studs are through the dash frame's mounting holes, but this photo shows how far off the passenger side is WITHOUT pulling out on passenger side of the dash pad. You can see that the vinyl is not wrinkled, but as soon as I start to pull out on the pad to try and get it to fit properly, the wrinkle appears (as in the previously attached photo). BTW - The driver side of the dash pad fits fine. I'll keep posting as things develop. Thanks again for all the feedback and support.

Attached picture 8159312-photo_resize2.jpg
Posted By: swapman

Re: E-body Dash Pad? - 05/30/14 05:32 PM

Guess what? When Roseville does the right thing (I am sure they will) and refunds your money, you will be out just shipping to learn this lesson.

But then the problems will multiply. Roseville will return/exchange your Pad with UR's. Then they will sell it too someone else.

Fiasco repeats.

I have had 3 pads from JD's and am still very satisfied.

Good luck FILM.

Re: E-body Dash Pad? - 06/04/14 02:34 AM

Quote:

Quote:

No sweat dude. I didn't take any offense to your comment. As soon as I'm physically able, I'll make a visit to JD and discuss my plight (threw-out my lower back pretty bad yesterday; can hardly walk, or even stand w/o feeling excruciating pain). Still waiting on resolving the UR pad that I bought through Roseville. Yesterday, I set the UR dash pad back onto the dash frame so I could take this photo. Again, all of the dash pad's (11) threaded studs are through the dash frame's mounting holes, but this photo shows how far off the passenger side is WITHOUT pulling out on passenger side of the dash pad. You can see that the vinyl is not wrinkled, but as soon as I start to pull out on the pad to try and get it to fit properly, the wrinkle appears (as in the previously attached photo). BTW - The driver side of the dash pad fits fine. I'll keep posting as things develop. Thanks again for all the feedback and support.

I know I have stated this before, but the wrinkles that are present in my pad, pictured above by 1932Chrysler went away once the dash frame was installed in the car. However, my car is a 71, not sure if that makes a difference or not. I will post a pic of that area now that it is in the car tomorrow when I get home from work to show the difference of before install and after.

Re: E-body Dash Pad? - 06/04/14 06:16 AM

Quote:

I know I have stated this before, but the wrinkles that are present in my pad, pictured above by 1932Chrysler went away once the dash frame was installed in the car. However, my car is a 71, not sure if that makes a difference or not. I will post a pic of that area now that it is in the car tomorrow when I get home from work to show the difference of before install and after.

Thanks for the feedback. I sent back the UR dash pad to Roseville, and was told I will get a "full" refund (hopefully that includes the shipping). I don't see how in any way with the photos I've posted of my UR pad that the "wrinkle" would have disappeared after the dash was installed in the car. You can see from the last photo I posted how far off the passenger side was. I am still on a quest to solve this dilemma. I will likely go the Just Dashes route, but would consider getting a replacement UR pad. I won't go 3 times with UR though. Twice is all I could stand. If the 2nd one is another bust, JD is my only other alternative.

Re: E-body Dash Pad? - 06/06/14 02:56 PM

I know you sent yours back already but here is the after installation picture, no wrinkles to be found. I was pretty amazed myself.

Attached picture 8167487-photo.JPG

Re: E-body Dash Pad? - 09/14/14 02:00 AM

Well, it's been a bit more than 3 months since sending back the UR pad. On 06/28, I acquired a "free" bare steel, rust free core locally from a very generous guy. On 07/07, I took the core to JD with cash in hand (cash upfront to get free rush service). 5 weeks later (08/08), I picked up the new dash pad. The photos are the finished/assembled dash. It's currently still on the stand, but will soon be installed in the car. I am extremely satisfied with the work Just Dashes did, and for me the cost was well worth it.

Re: E-body Dash Pad? - 09/14/14 02:53 AM

Looks Great!.
By the way, how was the area where the VIN tag is? I have seen some repros (all different brands) where this gets rather 'thick'. Then that thickness makes it difficult to rivet on the VIN tag without distorting it.

I just sent off my dash this week to them so was told about 12 weeks for delivery.

Also, I like your stand, can you take a photo from the back that shows how it is attached to the stand?

Re: E-body Dash Pad? - 09/14/14 03:28 AM

I restored my VIN tag by stripping the paint, repainting, then applying the logo using the dry transfer from ECS. I also bought their roset rivets. When I went to pick up the dash pad, I brought the VIN plate and the rivets, and had JD attach it. There was no problem with the pad being too thick, and it did not distort at all when riveted. If I didn't pay them cash when I dropped off the core, I would have had to pay an additional $330 rush service charge. I didn't want to wait the 10-12 weeks I was told it would take. You can see in a couple of the photos how the dash frame is attached to the stand. It is only attached on the sides using steel angle brackets that are attached to a 2x3, which is attached to a piece of particle board.

Re: E-body Dash Pad? - 09/14/14 04:18 AM

FWIW - JD total cost = $1,335.
Breakdown as follows:
Dash Restore = $1,100
New Emblem = $35
Extra Foam = $150 (wanted all new foam anyway, plus I gave them a bare steel core).
Cut Side Speaker Holes = $50
Rush Service = ("No Charge" since I gave them cash when I dropped off the core).
No tax.
No shipping (since I dropped off and picked up myself. I live 30 mins from JD).

UR pad was $1,100
Pad = $800 (with Cuda-Challenger member discount)
Core Charge $200
Shipping = $100

In the end and IMO, the extra $235 was WELL worth it.
Posted By: swapman

Re: E-body Dash Pad? - 09/14/14 04:11 PM

Hey Film, I just knew you would be happy with JD. Quality has its price.

For every JD customer that has been less than satisfied with them there are hundreds of UR customers who are livid.

Great pics, you have done a great service to those that are on the fence. You have been on both sides and have now seen the results.

Just Dashes, just plain does GREAT work.
© 2024 Moparts Forums