Moparts

Gas tank restoration

Posted By: Tropicalcats

Gas tank restoration - 04/30/14 02:45 AM

Anybody use this process? I am looking to restore my 70 Challenger gas tank. Mostly surface rust. Just want yo be sure when I put it back in the car it function properly. The car has set for over 20 years and not sure, but more than likely it was left with gas in the tank.
Posted By: FJR doc

Re: Gas tank restoration - 04/30/14 02:55 AM

What process?

Re: Gas tank restoration - 04/30/14 03:03 AM

Sorry
http://www.gastankrenu.com
Posted By: ScottSmith_Harms

Re: Gas tank restoration - 04/30/14 03:21 AM

Looks like they boil them out and coat them with black stuff? That's not "restored" that's "fixed" (at best).

Re: Gas tank restoration - 04/30/14 03:43 AM

So who restores?
Posted By: 1972CudaV21

Re: Gas tank restoration - 04/30/14 03:45 AM

Quote:

Sorry
http://www.gastankrenu.com

I had them "renu" a gas tank for a Charger that I owned years ago. Like it has been stated, they line the inside and outside with a black coating. Personally, I found it to be a hassle - if you do ship the tank through UPS, it has to be perfectly cleaned with no gas smell. I won't even explain why I know this...lol.

If you have to keep the tank, maybe they can line just the inside and you can do a correct cosmetic restoration on the exterior? When I had it done, I didn't have a choice. Either coat it all or forget it.

Personally, I would have it hot tanked at an old-school radiator or engine shop first.

Re: Gas tank restoration - 04/30/14 03:45 AM

I don't know of any company that properly restores gas tanks (with the original galvanized finish, etc.)

Re: Gas tank restoration - 04/30/14 03:57 AM

Quote:

I don't know of any company that properly restores gas tanks (with the original galvanized finish, etc.)

You can try Bill @ BMCUDA.COM - give him a call. He's completed an extensive research process on proper galvanizing for Mopars and developed a process to replicate the original galvanizing. The problem with duplicating the original galvanizing: lead was used in the process, in order to get the proper finish. Though, he's been able to use something else that works pretty well.

Re: Gas tank restoration - 04/30/14 04:32 AM

So if I bought a new tank are the 70-74 Challengers the same? Except for the ECS of course.
Posted By: YYZ

Re: Gas tank restoration - 04/30/14 04:41 AM

Quote:

So if I bought a new tank are the 70-74 Challengers the same? Except for the ECS of course.

70 without ECS - single vent nipple
70 with ECS and 71 - multiple vent nipples at the side
72 may be the same as 71
73-4 have the multiple vent nipples at the front

Buy a new Spectra Premium tank for under $200 and call it a day
Posted By: Powerflow

Re: Gas tank restoration - 04/30/14 12:46 PM

FWIW, I had the tank in my '52 Plymouth done by Gas Tank Renu in 1995 and it's still fine. The tank had major rust and holes before they fixed it.
Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: Gas tank restoration - 04/30/14 02:05 PM

Like said getting it galvanized is the tough part.

If you want the outside galvanized then a repo is the only option I know of. And even the repos are a little different than the originals galvanizing.

Look inside it, is there rust? If so trash it and get a new repo for a E body since they are easy to get a repo for.

I have reused several used original tanks because there was no rust inside. I media blasted the outside to get the rust off and painted it with Eastwood Tank Tone paint. Looks OK IMO. I would recommend a light silver color(like Tank Tone) over black if one was to paint there gas tank. IMO black absorbs more heat from the pavement than a lighter color.

I recently blasted one and painted it, didn't cost me anything as I already had the blaster and the paint.

Rusty outside.

But very clean inside.

Ready for paint.
Posted By: Sixpak

Re: Gas tank restoration - 04/30/14 05:50 PM

Quote:

Quote:

70 without ECS - single vent nipple
70 with ECS and 71 - multiple vent nipples at the side
72 may be the same as 71
73-4 have the multiple vent nipples at the front

Buy a new Spectra Premium tank for under $200 and call it a day

You'll be time and money ahead.
Posted By: gtx6970

Re: Gas tank restoration - 04/30/14 11:29 PM

gas tanks are / were not galvanized.

they are / were Niterne coated( sp ck ?)

https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/show...amp;Search=true

Re: Gas tank restoration - 05/01/14 12:21 AM

Ok Bill......That process, but either way, not available right?
Posted By: Telvis

Re: Gas tank restoration - 05/01/14 12:51 AM

I used one of the POR 15 tank restoration kits. It worked great.
Posted By: gtx6970

Re: Gas tank restoration - 05/01/14 02:30 AM

Quote:

To the best of my knowledge,,,No.

But to be honest I've never dug into it to ck either( my shop client base is more than happy with a repop tank)

Friend of mine has a real Nos 1970 Challenger tank. Next time I see him and see if I can get a few pictures of it

Re: Gas tank restoration - 05/01/14 03:11 AM

I have a real NOS Duster tank now, I agree, it's not galvanized (like muffler shields, license plate holders, disc brake backing plates, etc.) similar looking but without the blotches of light and dark zinc particles.
Posted By: Morty426

Re: Gas tank restoration - 05/01/14 04:39 AM

Quote:

Quote:

To the best of my knowledge,,,No.

But to be honest I've never dug into it to ck either( my shop client base is more than happy with a repop tank)

Friend of mine has a real Nos 1970 Challenger tank. Next time I see him and see if I can get a few pictures of it

I have an NOS Challenger 1970 gas tank
Posted By: Morty426

Re: Gas tank restoration - 05/01/14 04:41 AM

Quote:

gas tanks are / were not galvanized.

they are / were Niterne coated( sp ck ?)

https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/show...amp;Search=true

I think the material was probably TERNE which was a trade name of a lead - nickel coated material. It's no longer made in the US but there is a mill in Japan that still makes it.

M
Posted By: astjp2

Re: Gas tank restoration - 05/01/14 04:58 AM

You can get it in California, they use it in car restorations. Tim
Posted By: DPelletier

Re: Gas tank restoration - 05/01/14 04:56 PM

1) Yes it's Terne plate

2) no you can't get it anymore (at least not anywere where there is an EPA or equivalent)

3) no, nobody restores them to as-new condition

4) Yes, the tank renew is a bandaid and only deals with the inside

5) ....yes, the best idea is to just go buy a new spectra and call it a day.

Dave
Posted By: Sixpak

Re: Gas tank restoration - 05/01/14 09:45 PM

Quote:

1) Yes it's Terne plate

2) no you can't get it anymore (at least not anywere where there is an EPA or equivalent)

Dave

Does anyone make new filler necks? Never checked Spectra for those...
Posted By: belv2vert66

Re: Gas tank restoration - 05/01/14 09:57 PM

Google Moyer Fuel Tank Renu.

Located in PA. They actually separate the halves, sandblast the whole thing inside and out repair any holes etc, coat it and bake it. It was about the only option I had for my 65 Newport as for some cars it is not as simple as calling Spectre. and it actually turned out nice. Is it concourse no. Functional and not full of rust for feeding the 496 yes. For my car that was what was needed.

Lifetime warranty also.

I had no problems with shipping it from the shop in Iowa to Pa.

Re: Gas tank restoration - 05/01/14 10:07 PM

Great info

So another option forme would be to have my tank alkaline dipped and clear coated.
Any thoughts

Re: Gas tank restoration - 05/01/14 10:50 PM

Quote:

Quote:

1) Yes it's Terne plate

Dave

Does anyone make new filler necks? Never checked Spectra for those...

They didn't a few years ago when I checked for mine. I THOUGHT I saw somethere that someone was reproducing filler necks but don't remember who it was. I ended up buying a good one on EBAY and cleaning it well...they are lead coated IIRC so there are still good ones out there that can be cleaned up.

Dave
Posted By: astjp2

Re: Gas tank restoration - 05/03/14 08:25 AM

http://www.precisionsteel.com/coated-metals/tin-coated-steel

Re: Gas tank restoration - 05/04/14 07:27 PM

Quote:

http://www.precisionsteel.com/coated-metals/tin-coated-steel

Tin plate and Terne plate are two different things. Terne plate (for the sake of this discussion) is steel with a 20% tin and 80% lead coating...it's the toxic lead that makes this stuff difficult/impossible to find domestically today.

There is a "Terne 2" plate which isn't terne plate at all, but rather the steel has a coating of Zinc and tin rather than lead and tin. This stuff is still available but it is NOT real terne plate and isn't what Mopar used back in the day.

...hope that helps,

Dave
Posted By: cdp

Re: Gas tank restoration - 05/05/14 01:20 AM

with todays horrible gas, I'm surprised no one is stamping reproduction tanks in stainless resembling the original as close as possible...except maybe the tin-galvanizing.

I helped a friend change out a "new" from 15 years ago repo gas tank on his Superbird, and replace with another ...which will probably need to be changed again in 10 years to come. Even using "good" gas her in Missouri, its still poor quality.
Posted By: RestoRick

Re: Gas tank restoration - 05/05/14 02:06 AM

s/s gas tank
Posted By: kentj340

Re: Gas tank restoration - 05/05/14 03:40 AM

Quote:

1) Yes it's Terne plate

Dave

As a former sales rep for seel mills, I'll take bets that terne sheet, which is simply cold rolled steel hot dipped in tin/lead is still available. After all, Spectra of Canada is buying it from some steel mill to make...gas tanks! The coated sheet is hard to find in the market, because the mills want a relatively large minimum order, and steel service centers or warehousers mostly don't stock it due to very low demand.

Ni-terne is cold rolled steel sheet that is flash coated with nickel to increase adhesion of the tin/lead to the base metal. The nickel is only a few atoms thick.

Tin/lead is the same as solder. Solder is readily available, not a significant problem for the environment, and safe if used correctly.

You might could make minor solder repairs to a gas tank if there is relatively litle rust and only a few holes. I believe that radiator shops repaired gas tanks this way back in the day. Or you could remove exteior rust and paint it as mentioned above.

Or you could buy a new Spectra tank made with Ni-terne sheet and call it a day.

Re: Gas tank restoration - 05/05/14 04:19 AM

If you'd like a USA-made stainless steel tank, you may consider http://rickstanks.com/tanks.php
Posted By: billohio

Re: Gas tank restoration - 05/05/14 04:50 AM

Rick if you see this, I emailed and pmed about a set of hood hinges. Could you check your for the messages? Thanks

Re: Gas tank restoration - 05/05/14 05:24 PM

Quote:

Quote:

1) Yes it's Terne plate

Dave

As a former sales rep for seel mills, I'll take bets that terne sheet, which is simply cold rolled steel hot dipped in tin/lead is still available. After all, Spectra of Canada is buying it from some steel mill to make...gas tanks! The coated sheet is hard to find in the market, because the mills want a relatively large minimum order, and steel service centers or warehousers mostly don't stock it due to very low demand.

Ni-terne is cold rolled steel sheet that is flash coated with nickel to increase adhesion of the tin/lead to the base metal. The nickel is only a few atoms thick.

Tin/lead is the same as solder. Solder is readily available, not a significant problem for the environment, and safe if used correctly.

You might could make minor solder repairs to a gas tank if there is relatively litle rust and only a few holes. I believe that radiator shops repaired gas tanks this way back in the day. Or you could remove exteior rust and paint it as mentioned above.

Or you could buy a new Spectra tank made with Ni-terne sheet and call it a day.

And as someone who has been in the sheetmetal business for 30 years, I'd agree; I'm sure they are still making REAL terne sheet oversees...but that isn't going to help anyone here unless they can stamp a gas tank out of it!

The point is that nobody in the US or Canada is going to Terne plate a tank for you.

And "Terne 2" or Ni-Terne isn't the same thing.

....I haven't bothered checking but I'd be very surprised if Spectra uses any lead in thier process at all. I'd bet that "Ni-Terne" is simply a nickel/tin alloy.

Dave

Re: Gas tank restoration - 05/05/14 11:00 PM

Quote:

Great info

So another option for me would be to have my tank alkaline dipped and clear coated.
Any thoughts

Any opinions on this?

Re: Gas tank restoration - 05/06/14 11:20 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Great info

So another option for me would be to have my tank alkaline dipped and clear coated.
Any thoughts

Any opinions on this?

If it was in really good shape without missing bits of coating,then that should work...OTOH, if that was the case, you wouldn't really need to do anything to it other than clean it. You said it had rust so unless it's very, very light, you'll see it.

I still think that a new Spectra tank is your best bet.

Dave
© 2024 Moparts Forums