Moparts

Leaking '70 repop disc brake metering valve

Posted By: 426runner

Leaking '70 repop disc brake metering valve - 04/14/14 03:54 AM

There are plenty of accounts online of the repop metering valves leaking. My first one from Inline Tubes leaked so they sent me another one. The second leaked ever so slightly so I stuck with it. Now as I actually drive and brake, the thing leaks REAL bad under pressure from the pedal. I removed it and took it apart to find a very poorly made seal. From my readings online this seal cannot be bought separately.

Am I faced with continuing to get replacements until I receive one that doesn't leak? Has this bad part/leaking been resolved in the last couple of years and I missed it?

I understand that this valve delays the front discs for a split second when the pedal is applied. Can this thing be "gutted" and plugged, removing the "delay" and not adversely affect the braking?
Posted By: DAYCLONA

Re: Leaking '70 repop disc brake metering valve - 04/14/14 05:47 AM

Ditch the Inline unit, and purchase a FINELINES mfg unit
Posted By: PasiR

Re: Leaking '70 repop disc brake metering valve - 04/14/14 08:30 AM

My repop unit leaked too. Bought a used factory unit, no leaks anymore.

Re: Leaking '70 repop disc brake metering valve - 04/14/14 02:35 PM

Finelines website show them sold out. I will call to make sure. What'll-ya-know... Inline has tons of 'em.
Posted By: 71birdJ68

Re: Leaking '70 repop disc brake metering valve - 04/14/14 05:24 PM

Don't use parts from the right stuff, I call it the wrong stuff. Sad to, cause their customer service is about the best I have encountered, just junk parts.

Re: Leaking '70 repop disc brake metering valve - 04/14/14 07:03 PM

I called Fine Lines. They had them in stock. They tell me that the internal parts are from china HOWEVER, most sellers have the units assembled in China. That's where the issues are. Fine Lines receives the parts and assembles the units themselves, weeding out bad seals and assuring that the valves are assembled correctly. I took his word for it and ordered one. I'll let you know.
Posted By: charge70

Re: Leaking '70 repop disc brake metering valve - 04/15/14 01:07 AM

I got mine from Jamie at Mega Parts,No problems.Not sure who they buy from though. John.
Posted By: BarrsRestoration

Re: Leaking '70 repop disc brake metering valve - 04/15/14 04:40 AM

That seal has been an ongoing problem with I.T. for several years. I can't believe they are still selling it.
Posted By: screamindriver

Re: Leaking '70 repop disc brake metering valve - 04/15/14 04:59 AM

Problem 1 : Made and assembled overseas...

Problem 2 : The vendor did'nt send them back and have them done correctly...

Guess that tells you what they think of their customers...
Posted By: YO7_A66

Re: Leaking '70 repop disc brake metering valve - 04/15/14 05:14 PM

I thought that I was the only one. My new valve leaks from the hex head plug at the end. I can't tighten it any tighter and I was going to pull it this week to see if I can add a seal. I don't recall which company supplied it though.

Attached picture 8113313-drumvsdiscvalve.jpg
Posted By: 6PKRTSE

Re: Leaking '70 repop disc brake metering valve - 04/15/14 06:20 PM

Yep, my re-pop leaked also. Sent it back. Received the second one. It leaked also. Tigtened the crap out of it & put teflon tape on the threads & has been trouble free for 3 years or so now.

Re: Leaking '70 repop disc brake metering valve - 04/15/14 07:52 PM

If the valve is on the car, how much fluid will leak out when I remove the hex head plug (facing towards the ground on the car)?

Will I need to re-bleed the brakes?

I want to try the teflon tape idea.

Thanks
Posted By: Silver70

Re: Leaking '70 repop disc brake metering valve - 04/15/14 11:19 PM

Yes you will have to bleed the brakes... I have used teflon tape on them in the past and worked great for me

Re: Leaking '70 repop disc brake metering valve - 04/16/14 02:08 AM

I pulled the valve block out of the car and that plug was very tight. So I pulled both the bottomplug and the top fitting and added teflon tape to both male fittings. I will have it back on and will be driving the car this weekend to test it again.
Thanks
Posted By: sunroof446

Re: Leaking '70 repop disc brake metering valve - 04/16/14 12:05 PM

I have had at least 3 that have leaked so far. Everyone I have bought so far has been assembled and never tightened up.You would think they would be a little more critical with brake parts but what do they know about making brake parts where they are made. They ride bicycles.This has been a ongoing problem for at least 3 years. I would keep sending them back until you get one that does not leak. If they are going to sell you junk parts that they know have a problem. I would make there job difficult and make sure they loose there profit in shipping cost. They don't care about your labor.
Posted By: GardnersGotCudas

Re: Leaking '70 repop disc brake metering valve - 04/18/14 03:01 AM

how good is the one right stuff sells I have one that leaks to thanks
Posted By: 70runner

Re: Leaking '70 repop disc brake metering valve - 04/18/14 03:18 AM

Sandy,
For my 70RR resto, I ended up rebuilding all three valves. There's a good thread on this, but it's older than the new 2yr limit on searches (IIRC 2011).

Basically gutted all 3 valves and used repro kits/valve parts to rebuild. There's a guy in that thread that was selling kits. I was transitioning from DOT3 to DOT5 so had to clean them out anyway. For the metering valve, I used my date coded shell and rebuilt with the insides from a Fine Lines repro. Worked out well and kept my OE look. No leaks.

Attached picture 8116127-orig_repro_disassembled.jpg
Posted By: steve70

Re: Leaking '70 repop disc brake metering valve - 04/18/14 12:27 PM

Here's an old link I had from the place that sells rebuild kits https://www.musclecarresearch.com/1970-76-mopar-combo-valve-autopsy
Posted By: sah62

Re: Leaking '70 repop disc brake metering valve - 04/20/14 02:38 AM

Quote:

Here's an old link I had from the place that sells rebuild kits https://www.musclecarresearch.com/1970-76-mopar-combo-valve-autopsy

The web site mentioned above is mine. Here's a direct link to the kit I have to re-seal that valve:

https://www.musclecarresearch.com/mopar-seal-kit-2

Re: Leaking '70 repop disc brake metering valve - 04/20/14 04:44 PM

Scott..I can't open either of the links...Something about the websites security certificate being under another site's address ???? I'm sure this is diverting alot of potential customers..

Re: Leaking '70 repop disc brake metering valve - 04/20/14 07:46 PM

Ordered a new metering valve from Fine Lines, installed it yesterday... no leaks. It looks like the fellas over at Fine Lines give a crap.

Re: Leaking '70 repop disc brake metering valve - 04/21/14 06:17 PM

After adding the teflon tape to the male threads at both ends of the metering valve, mine did not leak after driving it over the weekend.
Thanks for the tip!!

Re: Leaking '70 repop disc brake metering valve - 04/22/14 02:40 AM

Quote:

Scott..I can't open either of the links...Something about the websites security certificate being under another site's address ???? I'm sure this is diverting alot of potential customers..

It would be helpful if you could somehow send me a copy of whatever you're seeing. As far as I can tell the certificates for the site are properly configured.
Posted By: FJR doc

Re: Leaking '70 repop disc brake metering valve - 04/22/14 02:52 AM

Your link opens correctly for me.

Re: Leaking '70 repop disc brake metering valve - 04/22/14 12:53 PM

Quote:

Scott, I get the same website warning.

Attached picture 8120564-warning.JPG

Re: Leaking '70 repop disc brake metering valve - 04/22/14 11:50 PM

Could you please click on that "More Information" link and show me what you see? That looks like Internet Explorer, but which browser (name and version) are you using?
Posted By: DAYCLONA

Re: Leaking '70 repop disc brake metering valve - 04/23/14 01:15 AM

Quote:

Quote:

The web site mentioned above is mine. Here's a direct link to the kit I have to re-seal that valve:

https://www.musclecarresearch.com/mopar-seal-kit-2

Both these links open instantly for me with no issues, perhaps it's the programs/format that some PC's are running?

I'm running Windows 8 w/ Mozilla FireFox, and Norton 360 security

Re: Leaking '70 repop disc brake metering valve - 04/23/14 02:06 AM

Quote:

Could you please click on that "More Information" link and show me what you see? That looks like Internet Explorer, but which browser (name and version) are you using?

I'm using internet explorer 9...it's generating the warning..
Posted By: cudagee

Re: Leaking '70 repop disc brake metering valve - 04/23/14 05:48 AM

I bought an aftermarket one too and took it for a test drive and I almost totaled my friends conv Challenger...not to mention the brake fluid ruined the new paint on the frame. I took it off and installed a used oem part.
Posted By: cudagee

Re: Leaking '70 repop disc brake metering valve - 04/23/14 05:52 AM

I bought an aftermarket one to and took it for a test drive and I almost totaled my friends conv Challenger...not to mention the brake fluid ruined the new paint on the frame. I took it off and installed a used oem part.

Re: Leaking '70 repop disc brake metering valve - 04/23/14 12:06 PM

Quote:

Quote:

OK, but what do you see when you click on that "More information" link? I really need to see what IE thinks the certificate chain looks like.

Re: Leaking '70 repop disc brake metering valve - 04/23/14 12:21 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

OK, but what do you see when you click on that "More information" link? I really need to see what IE thinks the certificate chain looks like.

I'm using Internet Explorer 10. Here's the warning

Attached picture 8121635-warning2.JPG

Re: Leaking '70 repop disc brake metering valve - 04/23/14 01:10 PM

Thanks! Hmm, that's not helpful at all. Let's try another tactic.

Please click on "Continue to this website (not recommended)". When you do you should see a "Certificate error" button next to the address bar. Click on the "Certificate error" button. A new window should pop up with more information about the error. In that window you should see a "View certificates" link. Click on that link. It should identify the site for which the certificate was issued, and the name you see *should* be musclecarresearch.com. If that's what you see the problem is most definitely in the way your browser is processing the certicate. I don't know why it's complaining, but it shouldn't be. See if these URLs eliminate the problem:

https://musclecarresearch.com/1970-76-mopar-combo-valve-autopsy

https://musclecarresearch.com/mopar-seal-kit-2

Re: Leaking '70 repop disc brake metering valve - 04/23/14 01:31 PM

Here's the certificate

Attached picture 8121662-warning3.JPG

Re: Leaking '70 repop disc brake metering valve - 04/23/14 02:04 PM

Thanks! I have no idea why my web server gave you the certificate for musclecarresearch.net (I use that domain for management purposes), but I just made some changes to the server config in an attempt to address the issue. Can you try again?

Re: Leaking '70 repop disc brake metering valve - 04/23/14 02:27 PM

It's till comes up with the same error

Re: Leaking '70 repop disc brake metering valve - 04/23/14 02:35 PM

OK, with some more research I think I know what's going on. Which version of Windows are you running?

Re: Leaking '70 repop disc brake metering valve - 04/23/14 04:12 PM

Windows 7, 64 bit and Internet Explorer 10

Re: Leaking '70 repop disc brake metering valve - 04/23/14 06:39 PM

I made some more changes to the way to site presents certificates. Any better?
Posted By: xs29j8

Re: Leaking '70 repop disc brake metering valve - 04/24/14 01:22 AM

Quote:

No problem seeing either website page...

Windows 8, 64 Bit, McAfee Security Center, Mozilla Firefox

Re: Leaking '70 repop disc brake metering valve - 04/24/14 01:33 AM

Quote:

I think you've solved the issue...Went right to the site with no flags...

Re: Leaking '70 repop disc brake metering valve - 04/24/14 02:00 AM

Great! Thanks for the feedback and help in fixing the problem.
Posted By: Quicksmopars

Re: Leaking '70 repop disc brake metering valve - 04/25/14 02:11 AM

Mine is from Fine Lines and is leaking from the bottom hex plug. I tightened the crap out of it and still leaks. I may try teflon tape this weekend. Luckily I'm running DOT5 or my paint would be gone! I'll let you know if it fixes it.
© 2024 Moparts Forums