Moparts

070 clutch fan resto info

Posted By: vette1986

070 clutch fan resto info - 03/01/14 03:12 AM

Okay guys looking for some info. I have a 070 clutch fan I need to get restored and I am checking to see who to take it too. Let me know of anyone that does this. I have a few names already like Fred Oliva but he is so far out on times it might take longer than I have until the car is done. Any info is greatly appreciated. thanks
Posted By: ScottSmith_Harms

Re: 070 clutch fan resto info - 03/01/14 03:20 AM

PAMPERED CORVETTES
64 Robin Drive
Tiverton, RI 02878
www.pamperedcorvettes.com
401-314-6811

My Duster 340 Fan Clutch just got done, $325.00 shipped. I don't have it yet.
Posted By: AZ_A12_BEE

Re: 070 clutch fan resto info - 03/01/14 03:32 AM

Quote:

PAMPERED CORVETTES
64 Robin Drive
Tiverton, RI 02878
www.pamperedcorvettes.com
401-314-6811

My Duster 340 Fan Clutch just got done, $325.00 shipped. I don't have it yet.

Does this guy do thermal units too? Date code stampings?

Re: 070 clutch fan resto info - 03/01/14 03:39 AM

Thermals I don't know, date stamps yes.
Posted By: 1972CudaV21

Re: 070 clutch fan resto info - 03/02/14 02:46 AM

I just got one back from Vinny - came out pretty nice. About a 4-6 week wait.

Re: 070 clutch fan resto info - 03/02/14 03:43 AM

Quote:

I guess I have to call and see

Re: 070 clutch fan resto info - 03/02/14 06:15 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I guess I have to call and see

Check his website - he does them. Tell him I sent you...lol
Posted By: 71birdJ68

Re: 070 clutch fan resto info - 03/02/14 06:22 AM

Call Frank Baldson, and ask who he uses.
Posted By: 5carguy

Re: 070 clutch fan resto info - 03/02/14 03:35 PM

He would be the one to ask.
Posted By: btomasko

Re: 070 clutch fan resto info - 03/11/14 12:40 AM

You can get a repo from Tonys parts @200.00
Posted By: Mr D21

Re: 070 clutch fan resto info - 03/11/14 01:06 AM

Unfortunately the reproductions aren't close...

Attached picture 8069236-FanClutch(640x480).jpg

Re: 070 clutch fan resto info - 03/11/14 01:11 AM

reproduction

Attached picture 8069240-NP-070FanClutch.jpg
Posted By: whomper1

Re: 070 clutch fan resto info - 03/11/14 03:00 AM

how much of the face of the clutch unit do you see when its installed?

Re: 070 clutch fan resto info - 03/11/14 05:16 AM

You are much better off spending $100 more to have your original one refinished than $200.00 for the Made in China rip-off...

Re: 070 clutch fan resto info - 03/11/14 03:30 PM

how much do original rebuildable cores sell for and where would you find one to buy?

Re: 070 clutch fan resto info - 03/11/14 04:10 PM

Check eBay....some Mopar people have piles of them...ask around in the Wanted section.

Re: 070 clutch fan resto info - 03/11/14 08:31 PM

thanks

none on moparts

none on egag now,

but there were a few that sold recently between $295 and $400

so if the rebuild service is $325 and an original costs say $350, thats almost $700

i know the repro isnt oe correct but i dont think you can see the face of it when on the car, and it does look alot better then the year one version

so for an almost $500 difference, i think for what my car is, the $200 repro will suit my car

thanks for your help

Re: 070 clutch fan resto info - 03/11/14 10:14 PM

Quote:

thanks

none on moparts

none on egag now,

but there were a few that sold recently between $295 and $400

so if the rebuild service is $325 and an original costs say $350, thats almost $700

i know the repro isnt oe correct but i dont think you can see the face of it when on the car, and it does look alot better then the year one version

so for an almost $500 difference, i think for what my car is, the $200 repro will suit my car
E
thanks for your help

What car do you have? Are you sure the 070 is correct for your car?

Re: 070 clutch fan resto info - 03/11/14 10:48 PM

yes i believe it is
69 b-body big block 26 inch radiator car has axle package
Posted By: autoxcuda

Re: 070 clutch fan resto info - 03/12/14 07:35 AM

Quote:

thanks for your help

Exactly. And most every car I know that gets a clutch fan also get a fan shroud. So it's about impossible to see the face.

But you can see the fins on the back and side of the fan clutch. But it looks like those features are real close to OE??

Re: 070 clutch fan resto info - 03/12/14 10:01 AM

Quote:

Quote:

thanks for your help

Exactly. And most every car I know that gets a clutch fan also get a fan shroud. So it's about impossible to see the face.

But you can see the fins on the back and side of the fan clutch. But it looks like those features are real close to OE??

Or, just pickup a Hayden version for $50.00 if you can live with it.....or buy the Mopar Performance Fan/clutch package for $100 or so. Though it's not a thermal clutch. But, I believe the fins look similar to the originals.
Posted By: radiatorman

Re: 070 clutch fan resto info - 03/12/14 02:56 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

thanks for your help

Or, just pickup a Hayden version for $50.00 if you can live with it.....or buy the Mopar Performance Fan/clutch package for $100 or so. Though it's not a thermal clutch. But, I believe the fins look similar to the originals.

Use the Hayden 2765 for the $50.00 like he said. It is a thermal but you cant see the front of it which is also one of your points. DO NOT use the Mopar performance kit. It is 3 5/8" tall which will not fit most of the performance cars. It is patterned off a Dodge van with a 6 cyl.

Bob

Re: 070 clutch fan resto info - 03/12/14 04:53 PM

From the pics i found of the Hayden 2765, it has slotted bolt holes and the fins dont look like original

i'd like it to be close at least

the hayden unit screams incorrect, while the $200 repro looks good when its installed on the car at least

when i said it my car wasnt oe, it isnt, but at least with the repro fan drive it will look correct when you open the hood and i dont care about those who pull out a mirror on a stick to check the front of it
Posted By: moparmatt0

Re: 070 clutch fan resto info - 04/05/14 05:32 PM

L have been calling that 401-314-6811 number for pampered vettes and have not herd back from him?

Re: 070 clutch fan resto info - 04/05/14 06:14 PM

email him...

Re: 070 clutch fan resto info - 04/05/14 10:38 PM

He answered my email today, he shipped my clutch back today.
Posted By: blkbee6pack

Re: 070 clutch fan resto info - 04/06/14 04:47 PM

Do they use the same orange or red seal?
Posted By: 44D6PAKCUDA

Re: 070 clutch fan resto info - 04/06/14 05:35 PM

I just got a "070" back from them and they do not use the correct colored seal(black) and the original aluminum finish is now the "Eastwood" special aluminum color.Otherwise the front ridge is correct looking and looks nicer then Fred's.I was not that impressed enough to change out the one I had Fred do.I had to "fluffed" up the fins to make them appear more correct on his also.So if anybody is looking for a fresh "070"......

Re: 070 clutch fan resto info - 04/06/14 06:16 PM

So he paints them, not plated?

Re: 070 clutch fan resto info - 04/06/14 06:27 PM

Oh great - I sent him 2 to restore...

Re: 070 clutch fan resto info - 04/06/14 08:04 PM

The face is plated(gold zinc,and stamped with part number and date code(incorrect fonts)but the aluminum part(body/fins)are painted silver instead of trying to lightly bead blast or some method to bring back the original finish of the aluminum.I know easier said then done,but Jim at Dixie does something similar to the alt and starter housings.

Re: 070 clutch fan resto info - 04/06/14 08:52 PM

please post some pics !!!

Re: 070 clutch fan resto info - 04/06/14 09:41 PM

I beleive Jim actually dichromate dips the alternators, this wouldn't be the right way to restore those clutch fins. The difficulty would be treating the two surfaces sepperately. The fins should be raw cast aluminum which could be accomplished a few different ways depending on the initial condition of the fins. The face plating could be done first, then coated with liquid rubber to protect it, then the fins restored, then remove the rubber and finallty, ink stamp date codes. PIA but could be done. The wrong color seal is the real detail issue IMO.

Re: 070 clutch fan resto info - 04/08/14 02:11 AM

Vinny refinished my aluminum casting without any paint....I'm not sure about the seal. I'd have to check on that.

Re: 070 clutch fan resto info - 04/08/14 02:14 AM

Quote:

I beleive Jim actually dichromate dips the alternators, this wouldn't be the right way to restore those clutch fins. The difficulty would be treating the two surfaces sepperately. The fins should be raw cast aluminum which could be accomplished a few different ways depending on the initial condition of the fins. The face plating could be done first, then coated with liquid rubber to protect it, then the fins restored, then remove the rubber and finallty, ink stamp date codes. PIA but could be done. The wrong color seal is the real detail issue IMO.

Liquid rubber??? I believe he removes the face plate, replates and uses some type of solder or something to reattach.

Re: 070 clutch fan resto info - 04/08/14 02:42 AM

I received mine today. The seal is black, the face plated is gold/plated, the aluminum isn't painted, it's raw aluminum. The ink stamping font is wrong as Jim mentioned but I can fix that, it looks nicely done overall.

Re: 070 clutch fan resto info - 04/08/14 02:45 AM

Mine is not the "070", rather it's the 1971 Hemi one. Can you post some pics? I'll try to post some as well to compare the finish.

Re: 070 clutch fan resto info - 04/08/14 03:01 AM

Attached picture 8105408-Clutch1.jpg

Re: 070 clutch fan resto info - 04/08/14 03:02 AM

Attached picture 8105412-Clutch2.jpg

Re: 070 clutch fan resto info - 04/08/14 01:46 PM

After looking closer at the clutch I got back,I think Scott is correct that the body(fins) of the clutch are blasted and not painted as I first posted.They just don't have,and I know it's almost impossible to get the original finish on aluminum.Almost looks to smooth and silver.Otherwise the front plate and reproducing the correct looking ridge is perfect.

Re: 070 clutch fan resto info - 04/10/14 02:49 PM

The seal is the first thing you see in the car. If you are going for OE show, and do not have the seal, why spend 2-3 hundred for an original 070 then 400.00 to restore it? Is there anyone that restores them correctly? I have 2 very nice 070 I will try to clean up, have a stamp made with correct font and go with it.

Re: 070 clutch fan resto info - 04/10/14 03:35 PM

I wasn't going to post this but I decided that it was the best for all to know what type of character you'd be dealing with if you use him. I will say that overall I like the work, but as some have observed, there are some areas needing refinement in terms of correctness. Due to his reply to me (not his work) I won't be using him again in the future. IMO my questions/comments were valid and I made an attempt to be polite, you guys can make your own judgments.

Quote:

info@pamperedcorvettes.com

Everyone thinks they are an expert. Here are the facts that I got directly from Eaton many years ago.

The bearings could have had 3 different color seals. Black, blue or yellow. Black was used the most.

The only color available now is black, (I got that info directly from SKF) and that is what I use. As for the stamps, I bought the set I have directly from Eaton. Those are the stamps they used originally. So to claim

they are incorrect shows you are wrong. If you are not happy with the results then don't send anymore to me.

You are only the third person that complained about the restoration. Three out of over 500 completed clutches

is something I can live with.

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: RE: Mopar fan clutch
Date: Mon, April 07, 2014 9:48 pm
To: "info@pamperedcorvettes.com" <info@pamperedcorvettes.com>

Hello,

I received the clutch today. Thank you. It looks very nice but it's lacking in some correct details. The original (and visible when installed) seals were brick red/orange color and the new one is black. Also the font style of the ink stamping isn't even remotely similar. Do you have any way of correcting these details on future jobs? I am willing to help in sourcing parts or patterns if interested, and if you can bring these things into the mix I can push a load of Mopar business your way. Please let me know.

Thanks,
Scott

Posted By: 70440+6bbl

Re: 070 clutch fan resto info - 04/10/14 04:09 PM

Quote:

I wasn't going to post this but I decided that it was the best for all to know what type of character you'd be dealing with if you use him. I will say that overall I like the work, but as some have observed, there are some areas needing refinement in terms of correctness. Due to his reply to me (not his work) I won't be using him again in the future. IMO my questions/comments were valid and I made an attempt to be polite, you guys can make your own judgments.

Quote:

info@pamperedcorvettes.com

Everyone thinks they are an expert. Here are the facts that I got directly from Eaton many years ago.

The bearings could have had 3 different color seals. Black, blue or yellow. Black was used the most.

The only color available now is black, (I got that info directly from SKF) and that is what I use. As for the stamps, I bought the set I have directly from Eaton. Those are the stamps they used originally. So to claim

they are incorrect shows you are wrong. If you are not happy with the results then don't send anymore to me.

You are only the third person that complained about the restoration. Three out of over 500 completed clutches

is something I can live with.

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: RE: Mopar fan clutch
Date: Mon, April 07, 2014 9:48 pm
To: "info@pamperedcorvettes.com" <info@pamperedcorvettes.com>

Hello,

I received the clutch today. Thank you. It looks very nice but it's lacking in some correct details. The original (and visible when installed) seals were brick red/orange color and the new one is black. Also the font style of the ink stamping isn't even remotely similar. Do you have any way of correcting these details on future jobs? I am willing to help in sourcing parts or patterns if interested, and if you can bring these things into the mix I can push a load of Mopar business your way. Please let me know.

Thanks,
Scott

WOW! I simply cannot stand arrogant douchebags like him...

Re: 070 clutch fan resto info - 04/10/14 04:10 PM

Which seal does Fred use when he restores one? Red or black?

Re: 070 clutch fan resto info - 04/10/14 05:10 PM

Red for '70 and blue for the '71 (which is a different part number,just a longer shaft if I remember right)so they are available like Scott mentioned.

Re: 070 clutch fan resto info - 04/10/14 05:18 PM

Quote:

Red for '70 and blue for the '71 (which is a different part number,just a longer shaft if I remember right)so they are available like Scott mentioned.

Thanks Jim. This guy just likes to spew BS and not do any research then. I'm shipping my 070 off to Fred then.

Re: 070 clutch fan resto info - 04/10/14 05:52 PM

The "Pampered" guy has got the front plate and lip/ridge rebuild down perfect compared to Fred's but the seal is a problem he doesn't want to fix.I don't get it.

Re: 070 clutch fan resto info - 04/11/14 02:03 AM

The 71 is a blue seal and a little longer shaft, I think it is a 112 not 070 I have one in the pile

Re: 070 clutch fan resto info - 04/11/14 01:18 PM

You are correct.I knew the '71 style clutch had a different part number and different colored seal,just couldn't remember what the part number was

Re: 070 clutch fan resto info - 04/12/14 11:53 AM

Vinny is extremely sensitive to any criticism of his work. When I asked some very simple and friendly questions, I was bashed as just another "know-it-all." Believe me, I was more than nice and respectful in my emails. I even wrote back to him to explain the intentions of my questions - he never apologized nor acknowledged what I said to him. He does nice work, but he believes that he knows everything and anything about Eaton clutch fans. So, his bedside manner isn't that appealing to the average person. If there is another guy that can do your fan clutch, I'd move my business to him.

Re: 070 clutch fan resto info - 04/13/14 12:40 AM

Quote:

Vinny is extremely sensitive to any criticism of his work.

Well I guess his business name says it all.Or wait,maybe us Mopar guys are more critical and demanding than the Chevette or I mean the Corvette guys??God helps help us if we are
Posted By: shakerjoe

Re: 070 clutch fan resto info - 04/13/14 01:08 AM

Quote:

The 71 is a blue seal and a little longer shaft, I think it is a 112 not 070 I have one in the pile

3462112 for the blue seal '71 and into '72....just curious, with his use of black seal on the 070's mentioned, and he is primarily a chevy/corvette restorer...does anyone know if chevy's used black seal on their clutches...I too have never seen a black seal on a 2806070 or 3462112

Re: 070 clutch fan resto info - 04/13/14 02:55 AM

Quote:

Quote:

3462112 for the blue seal '71 and into '72....just curious, with his use of black seal on the 070's mentioned, and he is primarily a chevy/corvette restorer...does anyone know if chevy's used black seal on their clutches...I too have never seen a black seal on a 2806070 or 3462112

He used a black seal on my "112" as well...

I think his "pampered" Corvette customers get their ass wiped first and we "dumb" Mopar guys get whatever he's in the mood for...

Why don't you email him about the black seal?...lol...I'm sure you'll get an ear full and a good bashing..

At this point, I'm not spending anymore money on this fan clutch - it will just have to stay "incorrect" for a long, long time..
Posted By: 69RTSE

Re: 070 clutch fan resto info - 04/17/14 02:16 PM

Quote:

Scott, I just noticed in your comparison photo that the unrestored unit has 2 wide "tabs" at about the 3 and 9 o'clock position and the restored unit does not...are they both the same part number? I never reallly looked that closely at these things before and just happened to notice it in your pict...

Re: 070 clutch fan resto info - 04/17/14 02:31 PM

Yes they were the same ink stamp number, I can only guess that it was a variable. I have several more, all with ink stamps and a mix of both styles.
Posted By: tallzag

Re: 070 clutch fan resto info - 03/24/15 09:09 PM

About to send a 2863259 (69 Dart 340 4 speed) one to Vinny with the original ink stamps on it, hope he can do it right. He's really the only guy doing them now, I contacted Fred and he said he's not really doing them anymore.
Posted By: 71redcuda

Re: 070 clutch fan resto info - 03/24/15 10:14 PM

Quote:

About to send a 2863259 (69 Dart 340 4 speed) one to Vinny with the original ink stamps on it, hope he can do it right. He's really the only guy doing them now, I contacted Fred and he said he's not really doing them anymore.

Here is a good repro unit..

Attached picture 8470000-CIMG0025.JPG
Posted By: 71redcuda

Re: 070 clutch fan resto info - 03/24/15 10:15 PM

backside

Attached picture 8470003-CIMG0026.JPG
Posted By: DUSTER_340

Re: 070 clutch fan resto info - 03/24/15 10:31 PM

Who sells that reproduction?
Posted By: moparply

Re: 070 clutch fan resto info - 03/24/15 11:23 PM

I have an excellent original fan clutch unit that would be perfect for a rebuild, no chipped fins, no rust pitting, etc. $75

This unit has the flat front face, hub with round mounting holes, the back side has just the 4 mounting holes for attaching the fan.

It has a longer shaft then the 070 or 112, when Vinny restores the units he will cut the shaft to any length you want for no additional charge.

The 070 used the shorter length shaft with red seal and the 112 used the longer length shaft with blue seal.

When Vinny rebuild/restores a unit he removes the front cover by removing/cutting the factory rolled bead, he then cleans/ refinishes/replates everything, he uses an upgraded aircraft quality bearing so the unit will last longer then the originals. The front face rolled bead is correct.

I can send additional pictures of the unit i have.

Attached picture 8470057-IMG_3022.JPG
Posted By: TONY_DAGOSTINO

Re: 070 clutch fan resto info - 03/24/15 11:49 PM

Hi Bob

we came out with it

the 1971 #112 fan clutches are different on the back then the #070 clutches

Posted By: DUSTER_340

Re: 070 clutch fan resto info - 03/25/15 02:01 AM

So Tony this correct face is now $300. Is the height correct for a 070 clutch?

Thanks

Re: 070 clutch fan resto info - 03/25/15 03:24 AM

Yes the height is correct on both styles we make
Posted By: astjp2

Re: 070 clutch fan resto info - 03/26/15 09:38 PM

So what would be correct for my 68? I have a thermostatic now with a second spare. 68 Charger with a Hemi and 26" radiator. Tim

Re: 070 clutch fan resto info - 03/26/15 10:37 PM

Hi Tim

the 2806070 fan clutch that we make is correct for your 1968 hemi

thanks
tony
Posted By: clemul

Re: 070 clutch fan resto info - 03/26/15 10:45 PM

Tony, what country is your fan clutch made in? What country is fan clutch bearing made in? Fan Clutch looks very nice, thanks for bringing these back...

Re: 070 clutch fan resto info - 03/26/15 11:01 PM

They are made overseas by a fan clutch manufacturing company and come with a 1 year warranty

thank you
Posted By: 62maxwgn

Re: 070 clutch fan resto info - 03/27/15 12:06 AM

Quote:

I received mine today. The seal is black, the face plated is gold/plated, the aluminum isn't painted, it's raw aluminum. The ink stamping font is wrong as Jim mentioned but I can fix that, it looks nicely done overall.

Scott,not the best picture but here is a N.O.S. 233 to compare.

Attached picture 8471996-CopyofPicture089.jpg
Posted By: ossietim

Re: 070 clutch fan resto info - 11/15/20 10:48 PM

Sorry to drag up an old thread but who is restoring these original units now ? I have 2 that I need done .
Posted By: moparmike1

Re: 070 clutch fan resto info - 11/15/20 11:07 PM

If you decide for reproduction, Tony's Parts offers this part:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Concours-2...opar-Hemi-440-383-70-1-340/233751268374?

Mike.
© 2024 Moparts Forums